StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 17 Jan 09, 15:53
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99] Commodore_1812 is on the path to success [1-99]

Irish legion
Old 17 Jan 09, 17:53
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
More paintings by Giuseppe Rava.

i Rifleman del 95th difendono la cava di sabbia ( British 95th Rifles )

Napoleone e Stato Maggiore ( Napoleon and his high command )

Voltigers della fanteria leggera nel bosco ( French light infantry in the woods )

Treno dell'artiglieria della guardia ( Artillery train of the French Imperial Guard )

La garde au feu waterloo ( the attack of the Middle Guard against Wellington's center at Waterloo )

Stato maggiore austro-russo 1805 ( Austro-Russo high command in 1805 )

To be continued...
Old 17 Jan 09, 20:02
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
I own these pic. on the boxes of 1/72 Hat industry miniature figures.

Regards
James
Old 18 Jan 09, 01:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
More paintings by Giuseppe Rava.

i Rifleman del 95th difendono la cava di sabbia ( British 95th Rifles )

Napoleone e Stato Maggiore ( Napoleon and his high command )

Voltigers della fanteria leggera nel bosco ( French light infantry in the woods )

Treno dell'artiglieria della guardia ( Artillery train of the French Imperial Guard )

La garde au feu waterloo ( the attack of the Middle Guard against Wellington's center at Waterloo )

Stato maggiore austro-russo 1805 ( Austro-Russo high command in 1805 )

To be continued...
Rava is a good one. In fact there is a lot of Rava art available at E-bay. At good prices to boot.
Old 18 Jan 09, 03:37
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Rava is a good one. In fact there is a lot of Rava art available at E-bay. At good prices to boot.
Legate,

Just to let you know, I have posted more pics in the previous page. ( check them out ).
Old 18 Jan 09, 04:29
Sergeant
Czech
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99] Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99] Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99] Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99] Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99] Cath B. is on the path to success [1-99]
Aah, those last ones are so good!
Pensant ŕ sa mie, que toujours il regrette.

Old 19 Jan 09, 09:44
General
Brazil

Giuseppe Rava

i Mamelucchi di Napoleone ( Napoleon's Mameluks - French Guard )

Arme au Bras ( French Imperial Guard, Old Guard, probably at the battle of Eylau )

Guardia imperiale di Napoleone ( Napoleon's Imperial Guard )

il generale Dorsenne ad Aspern-Essňing 1809 ( General Dorsenne and the French Old Guard under artillery fire at Aspern-Essling )

I simply love this painting.

More on the way...
Old 03 Feb 09, 15:48
General
Brazil

Giuseppe Rava

12th Reggimento Ussari francese ( French 12th Hussar regiment )

Dragoni leggeri inglesi in azione al tramonto ( British Light Dragoons in action )

Landwher e Fanteria prussiana in avanzata sulla neve ( Prussian Landwher and infantry advancing through the snow )

More on the way.
Old 05 Feb 09, 12:30
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I know it has been explained somewhere before, but what are the exact differences between the old, middle and young guard. The uniforms in the pictures of the middle guard at Waterloo and the old guard at Eylay look the same to me.
Old 05 Feb 09, 14:10
General
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Iron Duke View Post
I know it has been explained somewhere before, but what are the exact differences between the old, middle and young guard. The uniforms in the pictures of the middle guard at Waterloo and the old guard at Eylay look the same to me.
In 1815, even the newly formed 3rd and 4th Grenadier a Pied regiments and 3rd and 4th Chasseur a Pied regiments became Old Guard ( the bureaucrats in the Ministry of War called them Old Guard ). The entire army called them Middle Guard, although officially there was no Middle Guard.

The name Middle Guard cropped up not only due to the Fusilier-Grenadiers and Fusilier-Chasseurs not being reformed, but also because the manpower of these new regiments, while excellent, was somewhat substandard to the senior regiments ( Old Guard ), eg, retirees, men on furlough.

Theoretically, all four Grenadier regiments and all four Chasseur regiments should be wearing the same uniform. But...

At Ligny, the Prussians took the poorly clothed Middle Guard for second rate militia ( 3rd and 4th Grenadier regiments and 3rd and 4th Chasseur regiments ). Not 20 men could be found wearing the same uniform in any company in these regiments. That was before the Prussians had to retreat from them.

You are absolutely right. The uniforms look the same because they are the same. In both paintings, they appear wearing the infantry greatcoat ( also know as Capote ).

Keep in mind that the Middle Guard wore a different uniform in the previous campaigns/years.

Uniforms of the Imperial Guard: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/IM...lguarduniforms

1st plate: Old Guard
2nd plate: Middle Guard
3rd plate: Young Guard

Imperial Guard: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/IM...imperialguard1

Young Guard: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/IM...htheyoungguard
Middle Guard: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/IM...themiddleguard
Old Guard: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/IM...nchtheoldguard

Last edited by Zouave; 05 Feb 09 at 15:57..
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Feb 09, 15:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Iron Duke View Post
Ha, I just now asked the exact same thing in the other thread .

Old 06 Feb 09, 12:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
As always very informative. I'm a little wiser now, however, it will take some time for me to process all of this information
Old 06 Feb 09, 13:10
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
Giuseppe Rava

Landwher e Fanteria prussiana in avanzata sulla neve ( Prussian Landwher and infantry advancing through the snow )

More on the way.
Prussians, finally! Looking forward to more.

Blücher

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 08 Feb 09, 10:06
Sergeant Major
Italy
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99] Warpaint is on the path to success [1-99]
Sorry for self -promoting, but if you are looking for Prussians, please take a look,
G.Rava
www.g-rava.it

Fanteria prussiana 1815.jpg

Brandeburgo.jpg

Ussari prussiani 001.jpg

Dragoni prussiani.jpg

Last edited by Warpaint; 08 Feb 09 at 12:03..
Old 08 Feb 09, 12:27
General
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint View Post
Sorry for self -promoting, but if you are looking for Prussians, please take a look,
G.Rava
www.g-rava.it

Attachment 23462

Attachment 23463

Attachment 23464

Attachment 23465
Mr. Rava,

It's my pleasure to welcome you to this Forum.

I enjoy your work very much. Keep the paintings coming.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!