StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 15 Dec 10, 02:20
Sergeant Major
EU
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ewpeyia is on the path to success [1-99] ewpeyia is on the path to success [1-99] ewpeyia is on the path to success [1-99] ewpeyia is on the path to success [1-99] ewpeyia is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximo View Post
It seems to me that there is an error in the list according to my data would be
1.- Infantry of line - Officer - Reg. Granada
2.- Infantry of line - Grenadier - Reg. Malaga
3.- light Infantry - Rifleman - Reg. Murcia
I have listed:
1. Granada with Blue facing in 1810 & 2. Malaga with Yellow facings in 1810 (Possibly changing to Blue)

I would be fascinated to see a definitive version of Spanish Army facings because most of those I've seen contradict one another.

Ed
Old 15 Dec 10, 04:40
Sergeant Major
Spain

ximo is on the path to success [1-99] ximo is on the path to success [1-99] ximo is on the path to success [1-99]
An Article of Markus Stein on the infantry of Jose I.

Really on the troops of King Jose there are very few data and the few that there are quite contradictory.

Lamentably encounter the article on the iconographic sources that I commented before but I will not continue it looking for
Attached Files
File Type: pdf c_KingJ.pdf (210.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 15 Dec 10, 19:16
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
King of Westphalia Jérôme Bonaparte's parade cuirass and helmet

Old 16 Dec 10, 00:24
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A Waterloo Officers tarleton helmet which may possibly have belonged to the famous Cavalie Mercer

And here is the provenance information.

Quote:
A Waterloo Officers Royal Horse Artillery Tarleton Helmet
An extremely rare Waterloo period officer’s Royal Horse Artillery bearskin crested Tarleton helmet.
Recently found in the barn of an old Scottish country house where it had presumable sat for many years subjected to the elements and neglect. When found the headdress was missing its bearskin crest and tall white feather plume but was otherwise complete although clearly showing signs of age.
The skull had become partially unstitched and mishapen and one or two chains were missing but importantly the regimental label straps, the royal cipher, black silk velvet turban , albeit missing most of its velvet knap and the interior lining were all present and in remarkably good condition.
The helmet has been sympathetically restored with the simple addition of a period bearskin crest, a Georgian feather plume and the replacement of several missing chains. Incredibly most of the original fire gilt remained under years of grim and has responded very well to gentle cleaning.
There is some speculation that this Tarleton was the property of Captain Alexander Cavalie Mercer as it has been suggested that the recent owners were descended directly from the Mercer family. Whilst this may be wishful thinking the author is attempting to secure a family linage which will confirm or repudiate this suggestion.
Clearly if this could be proven it would add strong weight to the suggestion that this helmet was worn at Waterloo by Captain Alexander Cavalie Mercer, arguably the most important artillery officer at Waterloo and as such would render this helmet of significant national importance.
Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 16 Dec 10, 00:50
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
And then we have this.

Though this 1st or Kings Dragooon Guards 1812 Cavalry Helmet was produced after waterloo, it is still an 1812 design.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 30 Dec 10, 08:21
First Sergeant
UK

Disposalman is on the path to success [1-99]
Smile Just joined up!!

Hi there
Just joined this forum.
Do modelling in 54mm and 28mm especially Napoleonic period.
Whilst I have many books and plates the level of information on here is very good.
Regards
Tom
Old 30 Dec 10, 09:55
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stadden

What models do you work with in 54mm? I have about one hundred old Staddens and some Rose models (Russell Gamage). I also collect some King and Country Napoleonics also. I really like Imrie/Risley, especially the horses.

It's unusual to find another person who works in 54mm on the forums. Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to be.

Sincerely,
Kevin
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 30 Dec 10, 09:57
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rha

Paul,

Love that Tarleton helmet of the RHA. Thanks for posting it. Mercer had the most violent introduction to combat for the Waterloo campaign. He did fine, though. Battery commander is the BEST job in the service, bar none. It was the best year I spent in the Marine Corps.

Regarding the cuirass, Napoleon and Berthier had special cuirasses and helmets made up for them at one time, but when they saw them, they thought they were just too much and didn't wear them. I have pictures of them somewhere...

Sincerely,
Kevin
Old 30 Dec 10, 10:59
First Sergeant
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
What models do you work with in 54mm? I have about one hundred old Staddens and some Rose models (Russell Gamage). I also collect some King and Country Napoleonics also. I really like Imrie/Risley, especially the horses.

It's unusual to find another person who works in 54mm on the forums. Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to be.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Hi there Kevin,
Basically Historex now, although I did have some Hinton Hunt 54mm. Since retiring I have developed a liking for 28mm, particularly standard bearers.
With the quality of flags now available it opens up a colourful, and varied, display.
Best regards
Tom
Old 30 Dec 10, 11:21
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Historex

Hi Tom,

I have a bunch of Historex I still have to work on, including a pontoon hacquet and the older artillery sets that I found on ebay. As with Imrie/Risley, the horses are outstanding and are fun to mix and match.

I make my own flags in 54mm out of sheet lead (?) or whatever metal they use for that now. Painting them is a challenge, but I have some nice ones, I think, some of them from the collection of 54mm I have for the War of the American Revolution.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Jan 11, 03:31
First Sergeant
UK

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Hi Tom,

I have a bunch of Historex I still have to work on, including a pontoon hacquet and the older artillery sets that I found on ebay. As with Imrie/Risley, the horses are outstanding and are fun to mix and match.

I make my own flags in 54mm out of sheet lead (?) or whatever metal they use for that now. Painting them is a challenge, but I have some nice ones, I think, some of them from the collection of 54mm I have for the War of the American Revolution.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Hi there Kevin
You may, or may not, be interested in this item 110628896782 on ebay.
May save alot of work on your part. Check it out and see what you think?
Regards
Tom
Old 03 Jan 11, 10:33
First Sergeant
UK

Smile Historex Figure

Hi Kevin
One of my converted Historex figures for your information.
Scan of an old picture so quality could be better
Regards
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Historexfigure.jpg (383.2 KB, 315 views)
Old 04 Jan 11, 04:09
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100] the Iron Duke has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximo View Post
In the first place pardon by my English

Soon to make an appreciation were the other day no many more plates of Rigo

and another uniform "Cazadores Voluntarios del Reyno de Valencia"
Are some of them wearing skirts/kilts like Scottish troops, or are they only really wide short trousers?
Old 04 Jan 11, 05:15
Sergeant Major
Spain

ximo is on the path to success [1-99] ximo is on the path to success [1-99] ximo is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Iron Duke View Post
Are some of them wearing skirts/kilts like Scottish troops, or are they only really wide short trousers?

They are a species of very wide pants and that really takes below the knee, they were used by the people who worked in the kitchen gardens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1240170810403_f.jpg (25.6 KB, 231 views)
Old 04 Jan 11, 05:54
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tom,

Excellent figure-very well done.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!