StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 15 Jul 17, 10:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You'll have to slow significantly to lay mines. You can't drop them over the stern in a 20+ knot wake.
Old 15 Jul 17, 19:15
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
If you did, would the turbulence detonate them or simply screw with their station keeping?
Old 15 Jul 17, 19:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryses View Post
If you did, would the turbulence detonate them or simply screw with their station keeping?
Dropping them into a turbulent wake like that could topple the mine over and it sinks wrong. The other problem is getting them the right distance apart. If you are moving too fast the field gets spread out at less than optimal distances between mines.
You'll also have to ensure you're close enough inshore to have the minimum depth for laying them too. If the water's too deep they can't deploy correctly.

You'll probably have to break formation and head inshore much closer than the rest of the formation. My guess is that you'd have to get pretty close in to lay them as the ocean gets deep pretty close to shore there.

Old 15 Jul 17, 21:26
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well....since everyone is pleased with their dispositions, I'll do the update.
Old 15 Jul 17, 21:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
0800hrs

The Seagulls and Walrus launch and the Task Force sails along its prescribed route to the beach. With the turn itself, the TF is now 20nm from the target area with all ships at General Quarters.

A message comes in from the Walrus:

"Merde! 2 Jap cruisers, looks to be a Kuma and a Myoko by the superstructure. Convoy of a dozen or so, and probably the same number of destroyers."

"Jap seaplane chased us off, we're headed South. Took some hits to the port wing, will probably have to land before too long, advise if we can come home or head for Sing"

Message from the Seagulls:

"Golf 1 to Saint, enemy depots sighted near the beach. 4 transports moored close. Looks like a rough landing strip about four miles inland. Bombing that now.......Jesus Christ! Just bagged an aircraft on the strip, looks like a fighter. They had a couple of bamboo shelters at the end, might have held another few of those."

"Golf 2, you've got one on your six!"

"Golf 1 to Saint, Golf 2 is going down, I've got a pair of pissed off Nates on my ass. I think they're the only ones aloft right now. I'm low and trying to head back to Singapore following the coast."

There are no more messages from the Seagulls.

Radar operator onboard the Ericsson picks up a faint air contact from the West. Too small to be a formation, and spotters can't pick it up in the scattered clouds, but it's likely that a plane is near enough to at least report a rough contact on Rainbow.

The Loires are warmed up on Richie's catapult rails, ready to take off.

Old 16 Jul 17, 02:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Huh... a dozen Destroyers?

Well, I'm starting to wish that we had more Light Cruisers. According to World of Warships, those are the best DD-killers. They are also the best at sweeping land-targets with lots of shells.

Two basic target areas here; The landing area with the 4 ships and the airstrip and all the rest.
And then there are 2x enemy cruisers with 8" guns and 12x DDs and the transports... the juicier target, and likely the slower one unless they ditch the cargo ships.

So, choose wisely is all I can say. I am not even sure how to categorize the Russian ship since it is sort of halfway between heavy and light Cruisers.

At a guess, I would say that the slower ships should make straight for the enemy convoy, while the faster ones take a swipe at the landing area and then join up with the others.

- Otto von Bismarck.
Old 16 Jul 17, 06:24
Major General
United_States

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
So, choose wisely is all I can say. I am not even sure how to categorize the Russian ship since it is sort of halfway between heavy and light Cruisers.

At a guess, I would say that the slower ships should make straight for the enemy convoy, while the faster ones take a swipe at the landing area and then join up with the others.
The Voroshilov is like an equivalent the the La Galissonnière-class cruiser or Crown Colony-class cruiser and Furutaka-class cruiser. I think Jap "heavy" cruisers were nothing more than light cruiser hulls with really big guns.
Old 16 Jul 17, 10:37
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Don't wet yourselves guys. The Kuma is a 5000 ton Light Cruiser with six 5.5" main guns and four twin Torpedo Tubes. Think Omaha Class. The Myoko is an older Heavy Cruiser. If we can get amongst them before they can launch torpedoes, we will do fine. It looks like we have surprize on our side. If we were taking them on at night, we would be having more problems.

We have a range advantage and should use it. Saint Louis is licking her chops!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 16 Jul 17, 12:54
General of the Forums
United_States

Aboard Ericcson, I have the signal bridge hoist formation leader pennants for the DD squadron, and signal by lamp (telling the 4 piper by TBS radio too) the Isaac Sweers and 4 piper to form column on me. I then have the helm change course to put me on the seaward side of the formation about 3,000 yards off and slow to 15 knots to allow the other DD to form up.

As "westward" of me is over the Malay peninsula, I assume the aircraft contact is either one of the floatplanes launched, or possibly one of the RAF flights we were briefed about. I report the contact anyway as "Single air contact bearing xxx, yy miles, to the formation via signal light and to the other US ships on TBS.
Old 17 Jul 17, 00:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Everyone seems to be hesitant, watching for what moves the other guys make?

Well, we have a BB that can do 25 knots, and one that can do 28. Those two pretty much have to go for the enemy convoy at their best combined speed... 25 knots.
They need help with a DD screen, I would guess that means that all our DDs will go as well.

Now comes the hard part, the cruisers that were paired with the BBs. I would hate to split up battle-buddies at this point, but that is really up to you, as is all of this.

All I am saying is, they might need more help than their own secondary guns to ward off all those DDs.

Soooo... that leaves N.O, and Edinburgh, both 32-knot ships.
While not ideal, I think my ship has to go tear up the beaches, especially after all my emphasis on that part of the mission. First the stationary 4 transports and the airstrip, then whatever else our spotters can identify.
I plan to catch up with the rest of the ships at flank speed once I have made ONE good firing pass.
Could the Edinburgh join me for that? I think that a dozen 6" guns could really plow the landscape here.

- Otto von Bismarck.
Old 17 Jul 17, 01:09
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Would fifteen do better than twelve? We need to move before the shock of our appearance wears off.

Captain Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 17 Jul 17, 09:09
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Very well, with the slightest encouragement from Commodore Exorcist Captain Marzin will set a course for one point West of the surface ships at 20 knots. We would like both Destroyers to sweep ahead of us (they have a better shot at dodging any hostile torpedos) and ideally Showboat and our Cruiser close escorts to come with us to assist with the target rich environment ahead.

Walrus One will be taken aboard. We will ask the seaplane to come in from aft, so we will swerve across their approach to provide a pool of dead water, allowing them to land and be winched aboard as quickly as possible. We will then boost to 25 knots (as soon as the Walrus is out of the water) and catch up with our formation.

Loire One will launch when we enter extreme range of the enemy surface ships, provided there are no Japanese fighters in the area. They are to avoid engaging enemy aircraft, but assist in spotting our long range fire.

Commodore, we recommend calling up the other Buffalo sorties soon - if our Soviet friends can't eliminate the Japanese spotters, we may need the RAF to assist with this.
Old 17 Jul 17, 14:29
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
I am just the guy in the rear following along for the ride

But my questions always come back to this. What is our mission

Whats in the way of us doing our mission

What can we do eliminate those obstacles

mission broadly
Make the invasions life hell

Whats in the way
CAs DD
Potential Air support

My advice have the BBs deal with the CA everyone else protect the BBs and after they are dealt with deal with DD and then we have time to kill em all at least until a lot of air support shows up.

I would suggest also initially driving in shore for a bit then to sea ward to decrease range and provide the most evasisie action room while at closer ranges. ie passing the landing area at angle. This way we are increasing the range through out the battle and can disengage at our choice.

with us always turning seaward occationally to screw up torp launches.
Old 17 Jul 17, 23:16
General of the Forums
United_States

We have until Thursday to make Orders, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Would fifteen do better than twelve? We need to move before the shock of our appearance wears off.

Captain Pruitt
Yes, it would, and I was looking forward to seeing your ship in particular march some rapid-fire hell along the beaches.
Your ship would be more effective than mine.
However...
You have been assigned to be the dedicated escort for the North Carolina, the logical choice as you are both US Navy, and it will need you against those DDs out there. And there will be chaos and confusion aplenty... I am reluctant to advocate any action that will bring it about (for our side) more quickly.

But... your ship, your course.
Do you think we ought to switch? That choice needs to be made ASAP.

Quote:
Very well, with the slightest encouragement from Commodore Exorcist Captain Marzin will set a course for one point West of the surface ships at 20 knots.
20 knots is probably best. I would like to go slower, but if we do the others will get too far ahead of us.

Assignment of targets- (New Orleans only)
Forward 8" guns will target the 4 ships offloading, with H.E.
Portside 5" and rear 8" will attempt to hit the airfield. Fire a broad sheaf until secondary explosions are seen and then concentrate on that area.

Quote:
Commodore, we recommend calling up the other Buffalo sorties soon - if our Soviet friends can't eliminate the Japanese spotters, we may need the RAF to assist with this.
I have assigned that to Edinburgh; you have control over the Buffalos since you have the tools and speak the same combat lingo as the RAF.
The plan they gave us was that one will appear overhead at a time, giving us the broadest chance to nail those spotters. In fact, one is already on its way here (flip back to page one or two to see their plan).
You also get to direct the Buffs when they are here.

- Otto von Bismarck.
Old 18 Jul 17, 23:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Captains... ?

This is pretty much out of my hands now. Got any orders for your crews?

- Otto von Bismarck.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!