StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Naval Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Naval Warfare A place to discuss all things Naval!

Old 15 Jul 17, 06:52
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Germany had A day ,last year iirc, were it was run only off renewable. I would think that you have better resources for renewable than Germany.

[COLOR=Blue][I]Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Old 15 Jul 17, 07:13
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Germany had A day ,last year iirc, were it was run only off renewable. I would think that you have better resources for renewable than Germany.
You would, possibly, think - but that does not make it so.

Solar/wind etc is more expensive than coal which is located near large parts of our widely scattered population.

Part of the reason Australia's demography is shaped as it is is because of the existence of a few, extremely large, coal deposits and the consequent concentration of population near these deposits used for electrical power and steel production.

These world scale coal deposits allowed the development of very cheap - well, it used to be - electricity and a competitive, until recently, steel industry.

That is under very real threat because of the "chicken littles".

Renewables cannot hope to compete without taxpayer subsidies.

I don't want to be forced to pay more for power, or even worse, have it denied to me on hot days because of some unproven "scientific" theory.

More importantly, I do not want to see disadvantaged people die because of misguided public policy.

It is ironic that Australia's "Left Wing" political parties are the main advocates for "Clean & Green" power, yet they are going to be the ones responsible for these deaths, trust me - it WILL happen, and also be responsible for increased manufacturing costs and consequent loss of jobs due to increased power prices.

Go figure.

Lastly:

Most coal is exported from Australia- $ "in" = GOOD

Most solar panels imported from China- $ "out" = NOT SO GOOD

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Last edited by At ease; 15 Jul 17 at 07:23..
Old 15 Jul 17, 18:34
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Make a deal with the US/USN to OJT on the American boats for starts. But you being a non-nuke nation is going to make it hard and expensive for refueling, training and maintenance of a Nuke Boat. IMO non-nuke is the smart way for Australia to go.
Given the lengthy time-frame involved in finally getting the proposed conventional subs into service,there should be time enough to obtain the necessary expertise to go nuclear ourselves.

There is a certain amount of know-how available anyway and nuclear fuel is in abundance
Old 15 Jul 17, 18:37
General of the Forums
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Surely, "Down."

Isn't that what they're for ?
Old 15 Jul 17, 18:46
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by At ease View Post
You would, possibly, think - but that does not make it so.

Solar/wind etc is more expensive than coal which is located near large parts of our widely scattered population.

Part of the reason Australia's demography is shaped as it is is because of the existence of a few, extremely large, coal deposits and the consequent concentration of population near these deposits used for electrical power and steel production.

These world scale coal deposits allowed the development of very cheap - well, it used to be - electricity and a competitive, until recently, steel industry.

That is under very real threat because of the "chicken littles".

Renewables cannot hope to compete without taxpayer subsidies.

I don't want to be forced to pay more for power, or even worse, have it denied to me on hot days because of some unproven "scientific" theory.

More importantly, I do not want to see disadvantaged people die because of misguided public policy.

It is ironic that Australia's "Left Wing" political parties are the main advocates for "Clean & Green" power, yet they are going to be the ones responsible for these deaths, trust me - it WILL happen, and also be responsible for increased manufacturing costs and consequent loss of jobs due to increased power prices.

Go figure.

Lastly:

Most coal is exported from Australia- $ "in" = GOOD

Most solar panels imported from China- $ "out" = NOT SO GOOD

A contentous subject in these parts, and it's one of those topics that is generally viewed on party lines. The Right stresses the virtues of coal, while the left renewables. (We should have gone nuclear years ago).
In the long term ,I think renewables:- we've plenty of space and plenty of sun, and there's no reason why Australia should not take the lead in the researching and manufacture of solar panels. The trouble is that such is the enthusiasm of the Left to embrace wind and solar that they have prematurely neglected the sources of power used hitherto,so we are faced with a difficult transition period.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Jul 17, 23:35
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
Given the lengthy time-frame involved in finally getting the proposed conventional subs into service,there should be time enough to obtain the necessary expertise to go nuclear ourselves.

There is a certain amount of know-how available anyway and nuclear fuel is in abundance
The distance just to navigate around Australia is indeed quite vast, but the current subs have managed fine. And the need to stay submerged for extended periods of time has never presented itself, subs are quite fluid in avoiding a hostile environment... and the only country that has an serious ASW coverage is our ally, the US navy.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 16 Jul 17, 04:48
General of the Forums
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung Baby View Post
The distance just to navigate around Australia is indeed quite vast, but the current subs have managed fine. And the need to stay submerged for extended periods of time has never presented itself, subs are quite fluid in avoiding a hostile environment... and the only country that has an serious ASW coverage is our ally, the US navy.
Yes, at present.
Old 16 Jul 17, 05:22
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post

I know the ore is in abundance. Has it been refined into fuel?

If you already have a long time frame for non-nuke subs it seems it would be much longer for nukes. I don't see the logic in your comment.

[COLOR=Blue][I]Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Old 17 Jul 17, 05:32
General of the Forums
Australia

Quote:
I know the ore is in abundance. Has it been refined into fuel?

If you already have a long time frame for non-nuke subs it seems it would be much longer for nukes. I don't see the logic in your comment.
Not that you'd notice. There is a research facility at Lucas Heights, Sydney, but nothing much else-as far as I'm aware.
The fact is that they'll be a long hiatus anyway,regardless, so we might as well go nuclear and be done with it. Why settle for second best ?
(Logic -me ? You're asking a lot.John )
Old 17 Jul 17, 05:52
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
(Logic -me ? You're asking a lot.John )
Sorry Mate, I forgot

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!