StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Martial Arts

Notices and Announcements

Martial Arts From Airsoft and Archery to MMA and Wing Chun. Discuss your favorite combat sports here!

Old 09 Jun 17, 15:29
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800]
R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800]
Zen Archery

Anyone practice Zen Archery and can talk about the role of the mind in aiming? Is it an "empty mind" like the samurai swordsmen?

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Jun 17, 01:09
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
"Use the Force, Luke."
Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *
Old 11 Jun 17, 14:40
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800]
R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800] R.N. Armstrong gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
"Use the Force, Luke."
Obviously no experience.

Awa Kenzo, a Zen archery master, observed, "Shooting is to study the mind. Throw away form to understand form. Throw away mind to grasp mind. Utilize nothing to create something, and use that something to shoot an arrow."

"Do not focus on the center of the target. The sound of the arrow hitting the target should simultaneously hit the center of your being. That instant is a divine, mystical experience."

Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 11 Jun 17 at 14:48..
Old 11 Jun 17, 16:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
"I don't move the arrow with my mind!" Yondu.

Mystic poo-poo is still poo-poo.
Old 11 Jun 17, 19:34
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
"I don't move the arrow with my mind!" Yondu.

Mystic poo-poo is still poo-poo.
Obviously no experience; no tolerance for others' beliefs(unfortunately, a tolerance that we have lost in a constitutional democracy and on this website).

Agree, the mind does not move arrows. But there is something to the eye-hand aiming that involves the mind. In fact, American quarterbacks will talk about being in the "zone" for their hitting receivers, as well as players in other sports. Western science does not have an answer for this phenomenon.

Sad responses.

Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 11 Jun 17 at 19:41..
Old 11 Jun 17, 22:06
Major General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
From my brief stint doing some traditional & horseback archery, bare bow, no sights or aids, the trick is that you develop enough muscle memory and instinct that instead of squinting through a sight and placing the arrow on dot, the real aiming is done with your arms and shoulders. Watching a good horseback archer taking out targets at a fast canter, there is no time to aim, all shooting is done by instinct, aka lots of hard practice and lots and lots and lots and lots of missed shots.

Traditional archery and modern archery are two very different beasts.

Are you wanting to improve your shooting or your mind?

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey
Old 11 Jun 17, 22:13
Major General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]

There is a semi-trailer load of Bunkum and Hokum tied up in the traditional, and especially horseback archery world, but when you look at the training techniques, there is a core of terrific common sense and smart practices.

Lajoos Kassai is an interesting character, he has a great training camp and terrific training techniques, but the marketing, costumes and general air of new age/old age baloney that accompanies his promotional videos is terrible. If you can skip the corny youtube soundtrack and read some of his first person videos, especially the ones from the late 90's before he really started his business and it was just a cool hobby, there is some great stuff there.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Last edited by Chukka; 11 Jun 17 at 22:20..
Old 12 Jun 17, 07:39
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukka View Post
From my brief stint doing some traditional & horseback archery, bare bow, no sights or aids, the trick is that you develop enough muscle memory and instinct that instead of squinting through a sight and placing the arrow on dot, the real aiming is done with your arms and shoulders. Watching a good horseback archer taking out targets at a fast canter, there is no time to aim, all shooting is done by instinct, aka lots of hard practice and lots and lots and lots and lots of missed shots.

Traditional archery and modern archery are two very different beasts.

Are you wanting to improve your shooting or your mind?
While I studied (for 17 years) Japanese and Korean martial arts for self-defense skills, I have turned to looking at zen archery for improving my shooting in the French game of petanque. The skill of a shooter in petanque is to knock out an opponent's scoring boule(steel ball) which is about 2.5 inches in diameter at distances of 6 to 10 meters. A perfectly struck target boule can result in the shooting boule replacing the target boule in its orginal spot on the ground. The French Masters can hit target boules at about a 90-95%, and replace a target boule at about a 15-25%. Many of them make there shots in the manner that you describe for riding archers. But, their instruction on shooting, is typical western notion and not the eastern as in the zen archery which is a physical and mental training focusing on what they call "an empty mind".

So, my answer to your question is I want to improve my shooting and mind since I believe the mind is an instrumental part of the shooting.

Thank you for an earnest answer.
Old 12 Jun 17, 07:46
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukka View Post

There is a semi-trailer load of Bunkum and Hokum tied up in the traditional, and especially horseback archery world, but when you look at the training techniques, there is a core of terrific common sense and smart practices.

Lajoos Kassai is an interesting character, he has a great training camp and terrific training techniques, but the marketing, costumes and general air of new age/old age baloney that accompanies his promotional videos is terrible. If you can skip the corny youtube soundtrack and read some of his first person videos, especially the ones from the late 90's before he really started his business and it was just a cool hobby, there is some great stuff there.

I have one book on zen archery from a westerner's experience in learning to shoot a Japanese bow from horseback. I will study the video's. Your observations on the training techniques is on the mark--there is a 'terrific common sense" (not sure how common) and "smart practices" (which are rigorous in building an intuitive discipline to clear the mind of distractions at the instant of shooting).
Old 12 Jun 17, 22:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
"Use the Force, Luke."
Maybe I should have used this ...

There is in firearms shooting a similar concept of "intuitative aiming" where form over-rides conscious direction and "feels" the target aligned with the weapon ... ~ zing!
Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Jun 17, 06:45
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Maybe I should have used this ...

There is in firearms shooting a similar concept of "intuitative aiming" where form over-rides conscious direction and "feels" the target aligned with the weapon ... ~ zing!
While aware of that shooting approach, I am not into guns. Do you know the method for teaching the skill?
Old 13 Jun 17, 07:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
Obviously no experience; no tolerance for others' beliefs(unfortunately, a tolerance that we have lost in a constitutional democracy and on this website).

Agree, the mind does not move arrows. But there is something to the eye-hand aiming that involves the mind. In fact, American quarterbacks will talk about being in the "zone" for their hitting receivers, as well as players in other sports. Western science does not have an answer for this phenomenon.

Sad responses.
Magic doesn't work. Just so you know.
Old 13 Jun 17, 14:03
ACG Author
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Magic doesn't work. Just so you know.
You're the only one talking about magic. We are talking about mastering mental-physical instincts from an eastern perspective.

Again, I think we are beyond your experience. Or, am I wrong and you have studied eastern martial arts for more than a year?
Old 15 Jun 17, 13:32
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
While aware of that shooting approach, I am not into guns. Do you know the method for teaching the skill?
No, haven't chased it down yet. Been close to two years since last at range.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!