StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members > Army

Notices and Announcements

Army ACG service in the Army of any nation.

Old 09 Aug 10, 12:59
Private
United_States

lcarothers is on the path to success [1-99]
Looking for others B/2/503 173RD spring 1970

Larry Carothrs here.
Looking for anyone who was in or around B/2/503 of the 173RD spring of 1970.
Should be remembering LZ English, Bong Song.
As I've menioned the 173RD appears to be the only unit that when deactivated stateside at Ft Campbell in 72 they never did anything with the daily reports, officer duty sheets, awards, etc from late 68, early 69 thru 71 when deactivated in Nam. Rumors abound where the records are. How can the National Archives have almost every daily officers sheet from other units and branches and NONE for the HERD for this time frame????
ANY info is welcomed.

Could be me and the brick wall I keep hitting....
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 24 Aug 10, 07:58
Recruit
UK

tglover is a balanced individual [0]
Hi Larry,

I've just registered in order to second your request. I've studied ground combat actions in the later part of the war for over a decade but 173rd operations during 1969-1971 remain elusive. Aside from references to operational names and an occasional reference to a battle in April 1971 there is nothing.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Tom
Old 24 Aug 10, 08:30
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Operational reports for the brigade during the period 1969-1971 are hard to find online.

The DTIC has the ORLL for the period 1 May 69 - 31 July 69 here:
http://www.dtic.mil/srch/doc?collection=t3&id=AD0506708

The Virtual Vietnam Archive has the following ones:

-1 Nov 69 to 31 Jan 70
-1 Aug 70 to 31 Oct 70

The scans are of poor quality though, to retrieve them go to the search page and enter the search terms ARMY 173RD AIRBORNE:

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/
Old 24 Aug 10, 10:10
Recruit
UK

tglover is a balanced individual [0]
I'm just reading through these now, they're exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. Thank you
Tom
Old 01 Sep 10, 14:23
Private
United_States

Thanks for the offer of Texas's archives, but they are not complete but I did try again. Well, went thru TTU records again - had already done that, seen those that you suggested. Still same results, NO records for the SPRING of 1970.
I've gotten a researcher st St Louis seeing what they may find in the way of duty roosters and daily reports. My wife is currently working with the folks at the archives in College Park MD for general orders and op reports in that time frame.
Seems odd that there is no mention of all the time we spent in the field. How we got resupplied. Never mentions the firefights, the occassional booby trap or the sighting of NV's and then finding a weapon or 2.
No mention of the 17NV KIA'd with only one casuality from my platoon..... The brass flew in for a photo shoot. They brought their own photorapher. Our photographer was the only KIA (His Uncle was my Master Sgt, I think I remember) we had that long afternoon and night. Six of us could hear our hearts beating, knowing the NV could also hear them (your mind plays tricks with you where you think your heatbeat is that loud....) as they drug off many of their dead.

I'm not going to give up.
I know its on paper somewhere. Probably still sitting in a box at Ft Campbell since the 173RD was deactivated by the time the records arrived back to the states. By 72 there was no one at Ft Campbell who was 173RD who cared what happened to our paperwork. Everyone was reassigned or in some cases early outed.
In my case, I was sent to the 1st Cav while still in Nam.
Just want to get these records correct for the boys. It doesn't seem fair that I have my grandfathers WW1 records, my fathers WW11 records, and now late in life (my fault for not checking sooner), don't have my own records .....
Speaking history, wish my wife was computer smart enough to copy the 3 ft long photo of my Grandfathers company to share with you all. What a great photo.

Last edited by lcarothers; 01 Sep 10 at 14:25..
Old 01 Sep 10, 22:05
Private
United_States

I forgot to mention whoever was the commanding officer during the spring of 1970 - I did find 1 ops report he sent in that almost painted the Bong Son area like it was wine and roses....It was so far off the truth I did not save it to my favorites, now I am searching for it again. Kind of like wikipedia, if you read their timeline on the 173rd in Vietnam 68 - 70 is like the Herd did nothing at all. But if you were there you know differently.
It (the ops report) was more of a cover letter type of report that begged of the wonderful obsticales the unit had overcome since he arrived and made me feel as though this command he had was a springboard for a better position.
Just my opinion, and you can never be 100% sure what you read online is a true copy unless you are getting it from Texas or the NARA. (National Archives)
My researcher emailed today, the St Louis guy, finally got permission to go thru the paperwork. Now, have to see whats in the files, if SS's are on anything an employee must be with him at all times.
Seems like a strange rule - my wife can remember numbers without writing them down.
But I guess its so the researchers don't copy tons of SS# while they are there.....
I'll be out for a few days, but my wife will check in - she knows the details of my search if you have a need for where to ask for help. The sites that offer "looking for" are not alot of help. Most have not kept their email address current. Thats if you can stand looking thru page after page of requests. Most time I get my wife to do it. She has more patience than I do for this research.
Old 21 May 13, 20:04
Recruit
United_States

hhill77 is on the path to success [1-99]
B/2/503 My dad was a machine gunner in the same time frame at the same LZ. His name is Stephen Hill.
Old 21 May 13, 22:31
Recruit
United_States

Link173rd1970 is on the path to success [1-99]
Dave (Link) Linkenhoker. 1st Plt, BCo, 2nd Bat 173rd 2/70-12/70, out of Bong Son, also Stag Team 2 with Steve Hill, whose daughter, Heather has written above.
Old 01 Feb 16, 15:17
Recruit
United_States

Speshist Willis is a balanced individual [0]
TOC LZ English 1969

I was the (worker) man in the TOC day shift, 1969. I have a few B2 reports. Negative further. Out.
Old 01 Feb 16, 15:40
Recruit
United_States

Speshist Willis is a balanced individual [0]
173d

I think you replaced me. I left 1969. I have a few B2 reports.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!