StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 19 Oct 17, 05:06
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWolf View Post
The UI for games is crucial, there's nothing worse than a cluttered UI no matter what genre the game is.
Yes and one of my pet peeves is that too many games have got onscreen text and unit displays that are too small to read at 1920 native resolution, (even on my biggish 27" monitor) so I have to use a lower reso such as 1360 or even 800 to make the text bigger.
PS- But even that sometimes doesn't work because the text is still too small no matter what reso I drop down to, or else the lower reso makes everything look awful, or chops off bits off the screen, so I have to abandon the game because it's unplayable.

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 19 Oct 17 at 05:12..
Old 22 Oct 17, 07:37
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
GOOD NEWS- Matrix have just released the new 1.13 patch for CMANO!
I've tested it and it seems to have finally fixed (among other things) the "ships won't turn to auto-defend themselves by opening their CIWS firing arcs" bug which I first mentioned to Matrix 2 years ago.
For the record CMANO is a tad too complicated for me, so personally I still prefer playing Fleet Command and Harpoon3.
Old 25 Oct 17, 17:53
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
It just goes to show the power of public humiliation. You were ignored two years ago because you failed to expose the bug and get enough people to laugh at the MNO developers. Hopefully, you have learned your lesson:

Only excoriation and public embarrassment is effective in forcing fixes for MNO.

p.s. glad to see you spending your time on worthwhile games.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 26 Oct 17, 18:49
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWolf View Post
The UI for games is crucial, there's nothing worse than a cluttered UI no matter what genre the game is.
This probably the most concise explanation for the abject failure of poorly designed games like MNO.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 27 Oct 17, 08:03
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
This probably the most concise explanation for the abject failure of poorly designed games like MNO.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 27 Oct 17, 15:09
Colonel
UK

A lot of games including CMANO have got a whole army of programmers/designers/developers/playesters behind them, that's far too many cooks spoiling the broth..
What they seem to lack is a single Head Honcho to keep them all together, like a captain of a ship.
I've been on development teams and projects myself but resigned because they were a leaderless uncordinated sluggish slow-moving mess, I've walked out of two in the past 6 months!
Patton had the same mindset, he once said-
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!"- Gen. George Patton

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!