HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 11 Apr 13, 19:00
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
You were in the Wehrmacht?

A lot of memoirs, books on the Wehrmacht. This is one of my primary WW2 interest.
NO, but have talk to a number, even and old SS guy. Books are nice but...

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 11 Apr 13, 19:54
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
Why I prefer Dutch, British, or Canadian films and tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogg View Post
When it comes to German productions, the standards are always high.
Every nation, minority and sexual orientation demands their part, view etc.

However, this was a German TV series for Germans. Like I said many times before, some people should first start to clean up their own house, especially when you have a look at certain productions from the US, GB, Russia etc.
Old 12 Apr 13, 05:28
General of the Forums
Belgium
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
They told you about the murder of civilians and POWs or it was about fighting endless bolshevik ordes ?

Slaves don't want freedom. Slaves want their own slaves.
Old 12 Apr 13, 08:21
Colonel
Russia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100] Egorka has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAA View Post
Ok, here is the comparison:

I'm filming a movie about myself.
I show myself walking, talking, eating, riding a horse, and then belching loudly a couple of times. This makes up 95% of the film.

Then I include a short scene with another guy where the only things he does is belch and fart.

What the viewers learn about me is that I'm a normal person who might sometimes belch loudly. What they learn about him is that he is a circus freak.

Then he might protest that he's shown in a negative light, and I tell him: come on, it's a movie just about me, and I was also shown doing embarassing things. Now I challenge him to prove me that he has never farted or belched in public!
This is excellent explanation!
Old 12 Apr 13, 10:26
General
United_States

Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300] Cult Icon is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
2011's "Eastern Inferno" and "Masters of Death" are good complements to the miniseries. The nco was killed before he could sanitize his diaries.

http://www.casematepublishing.com/dl...ferno-Ch01.pdf

German infantry units suffered enormous losses on the eastern front, with rifle companies experiencing up to 1,000% turnover in their personnel. By the summer of 1943, these eastern front divisions had been turned over several times.

The Oberleutant (whose Captain calls him his best officer), his brother, and their Hauptmann would have been promoted to a higher leadership position due to attrition and experience. He would most likely be commanding a rifle company rather than a platoon by 43' and the brother would probably be getting a platoon of his own (platoons were led by Sgt's by this time).

If you look closely, the Lt and his brother get more awards on their uniforms as the war goes by. The Lt. has an EK II, infantry assault badge in the summer of 41', and by Kursk he is wearing the EK I and a tank destruction badge.

His brother is wearing the EK II, infantry assault badge, and the close combat clasp in bronze.

---------

That being said, the SS Major is depicted as a pure psychopath. But SS Sonderkommandos were mostly not like Oskar Dirwangler (they were often academic Phd types involved in a lot of manhunting and planning). They were mostly people who looked at mass murder as being 'another job'.

I see the heer troops as holding a middle ground between the SS Major and the protagonists in the miniseries. Memoirs do indicate that partisans were absolutely hated, and the inability of the heer to fully subdue them created a paranoid atmosphere (which is done well in the series) that led to many reprisals and war crimes. The 'better them than us' attitude was general. Hanging or shooting people in the town square could keep the partisans quiet for a period of time. Then rinse, repeat. They were determined to survive and determined to win even though they were losing the war.

A good scene in the series is the one where the grenadiers use local civilians to clear a minefield due to lack of engineering resources. 'Better them than us.."

Last edited by Cult Icon; 12 Apr 13 at 10:36..
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Apr 13, 01:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
The Oberleutant (whose Captain calls him his best officer), his brother, and their Hauptmann would have been promoted to a higher leadership position due to attrition and experience. He would most likely be commanding a rifle company rather than a platoon by 43' and the brother would probably be getting a platoon of his own (platoons were led by Sgt's by this time).

If you look closely, the Lt and his brother get more awards on their uniforms as the war goes by. The Lt. has an EK II, infantry assault badge in the summer of 41', and by Kursk he is wearing the EK I and a tank destruction badge."
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... they survive 2 years without any significant promotions? "Best officer in the Company" would probably have gone from Platoon leader to Battalion X.O. by the time of Kursk, and his brother could have been senior NCO in his Company if the attrition had been bad enough.
Or part of his brother's staff, which would have explained their survival and helped the story along. But, I guess that would have cut down on the mad-minute battle scenes. ... in the eyes of the non-military folks that put this together, anyhow.

Meh, its just another couple of hours I'll never get back.
-The Exorcist

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!