StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 04 Oct 17, 13:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Ironically, no one wants to address the topic of my previous post, that gun control is effectively ni**er control. I can only guess why.
Nothing ironic about it, you appear to be race baiting.

First, the narrative of the NRA as some sort of crypto-racist organization is simply false. In the first place, the NRA is a single-issue organization, which is how Harry Reid is able to obtain a “B” rating and get campaign cash from them, despite voting as a party-line Democrat on virtually every non-gun-related issue. More to the point, the NRA has historically opposed laws that were virtually tailor made to deny African-Americans the right to keep and bear arms. Many gun control laws to this day stem from the KKK's fear of armed and independent minorities. The Rosewood Massacre in 1923 – a bloodbath led by a white mob that resulted in the destruction of an entire black community in Florida – was a clear example of how an armed black people could prevent future KKK raids.

Second, the uptick in gun ownership and firearms acceptability in the black community isn’t an anomaly, but a reconnection with a deeper past stretching back to Reconstruction. The right to keep and carry arms was even mentioned in the infamous Supreme Court case of Scott v. Sandford, where the enslaved Dred Scott sued for his freedom. He lost that fight, but the words from that courtroom live on to this day.

https://ammo.com/articles/guns-nra-a...movement-guide

Did the Mulford Act stop blacks from open carry in California or did it stop all citizens from open carry?
Old 04 Oct 17, 13:59
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
I want his crystal ball for Christmas.

Ironically, no one wants to address the topic of my previous post, that gun control is effectively ni**er control. I can only guess why.
Half of this forums is ravings about immigrants and moslems and how they are the end of the world, and what steps must be taken to ensure it doesn't happen....
Old 04 Oct 17, 14:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
“I think people are going to have to take steps in their own lives to take precautions. To protect themselves. And in situations like that, you know, try to stay safe. As somebody said — get small.”
— Senator John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 Republican in the Senate

Get small.....
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”
― Lewis Carroll
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:01
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
Yes and what we need now, as I posted earlier in this thread, is the other side of the gun control bracket. We know one border on what is too far for State and local governments. Now we need to know the initial wall of what is not to far.

The problem with most of the efforts directed towards gun control is that they are rarely related to the problem and seem more directed at a ban than addressing the issue.

I think that is how the left sees anything the right suggests on the issue of abortion too.

In a nutshell, most of the regulations (that I have seen) are focused on making it harder for the law abiding gun owner to own a gun than on addressing the actual problem.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
— Senator John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 Republican in the Senate

Get small.....
Good advice. I really hate the mentality today that somebody else will take care of your problems. From home repairs to identity theft, to a situation like Las Vegas. People seem to expect somebody else to take care of everything and not inconvenience them in having a leisurely and serene life.

I look at the Puerto Rico hurricane issue for example. Well, just looking at the photos of homes destroyed or damaged in that hurricane I can tell right off they were built really substandard and shoddily compared to current US code. In fact, they don't come close to US 1960's levels of construction.
So, when your crappily built house explodes from hurricane force winds and is destroyed, don't come whining to me about it. You should have been doing something to improve its survivability. That in part is a failure of the Puerto Rican government not having reasonable standards in place.

Here's some examples:

This is a mobile home built to recent US standards and imported from the mainland:

It has 16" OC stud bearing walls and a 24" OC rafter system. So, while it was lifted off its foundation (no doubt due to being not properly anchored to it) and the siding was taken off the structure survived relatively intact.

Then you see a pile of wreckage like this:

The bearing walls don't have regular stud spacing. The plain rafters are at who knows what interval. There is no interior dry wall, just an exterior of thin panel siding. It likely isn't nailed to any pattern either. Essentially it's a big, cheap, shed of shoddy construction. The roof pulled off and the home came apart like a $5 suit.
It isn't even on a proper foundation.

Same thing here. Poor, substandard construction led to the destruction you see.

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 04 Oct 17 at 15:18..
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Oct 17, 15:07
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne View Post
The problem with most of the efforts directed towards gun control is that they are rarely related to the problem and seem more directed at a ban than addressing the issue.

I think that is how the left sees anything the right suggests on the issue of abortion too.

In a nutshell, most of the regulations (that I have seen) are focused on making it harder for the law abiding gun owner to own a gun than on addressing the actual problem.
I agree, they typically want more stringent back ground checks etc. Which would have done nothing in this case.

However the use of the devices to greatly increase the rate of fire of the semi-automatics in this case does give us something to look at. Police released that he fired fro 9-11 min. Decrease the volume of rounds by a factor of 10x or whatever and I can't see how deaths would not have decreased by a large factor.
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:14
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
I agree, they typically want more stringent back ground checks etc. Which would have done nothing in this case.

However the use of the devices to greatly increase the rate of fire of the semi-automatics in this case does give us something to look at. Police released that he fired fro 9-11 min. Decrease the volume of rounds by a factor of 10x or whatever and I can't see how deaths would not have decreased by a large factor.

Agreed.
I don't know if there is a reasonable way to address such devices, but it would be a more reasonable reaction to this than most of the other posturing that I have seen.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Were African-American citizens better armed, would it not stand to reason that they wouldn't suffer so much at the hands of police, who are nothing but governments' agents anyway?

Gangsters have guns. Criminals have guns. Police have guns. What's wrong with this equation?

One of the arguments behind "modern" gun control was that blacks were going to take over. After the Black Panthers initiated "CopWatch" and entered the California legislature armed, both the NRA and Ronald Reagan called for more gun control. Those arguments were reminiscent of the early 20th century arguments in favor of the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914 (which greatly restricted the distribution and sale of opium and cocoa products) and the XVIII Amendment, which prohibited the production, sale, transport, and distribution of alcoholic beverages: supporters of both bans argued that Negroes were unable to handle drugs and drink, and therefore would benefit from the proposed bans. Fast-forward to the second half of the 20th century and the same arguments were advanced in support of firearms bans: African-Americans cannot be trusted to handle weapons responsibly, and therefore stand to benefit from firearms bans. Interestingly, in those locales where firearms restrictions are most strident, African-Americans are hit hardest by illegal drugs and weapons.

And there you have it, gun-control: America's most racist policy.
At last, something we can agree on.

I was starting to wonder if that would ever happen...

It is even more ancient than you might know; cheap firearms were banned in the Jim Crow south to keep affordable guns out of Black hands, and I doubt that those neo-Confederates in the Carolinas were very concerned about Black v. Black violence back then... either.

And the USA is far from the only nation to have ever had ethnically targeted anti-gun laws. Oh no, not by a long shot, but it is particularly odious to know it did happen here... even in a sideways manner.

Chicago and New York, the places where it is hardest and most expensive for the average law-abiding Joe or Jane to have a gun are ALSO the places where the average Joe is most likely to be shot.
And if you think that's a coincidence, you need a check-up from the neck up.

Criminals don't obey gun laws.
Period.
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:23
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
Good advice. I really hate the mentality today that somebody else will take care of your problems. From home repairs to identity theft, to a situation like Las Vegas. People seem to expect somebody else to take care of everything and not inconvenience them in having a leisurely and serene life.

I look at the Puerto Rico hurricane issue for example. Well, just looking at the photos of homes destroyed or damaged in that hurricane I can tell right off they were built really substandard and shoddily compared to current US code. In fact, they don't come close to US 1960's levels of construction.
So, when your crappily built house explodes from hurricane force winds and is destroyed, don't come whining to me about it. You should have been doing something to improve its survivability. That in part is a failure of the Puerto Rican government not having reasonable standards in place.

Here's some examples:

This is a mobile home built to recent US standards and imported from the mainland:

It has 16" OC stud bearing walls and a 24" OC rafter system. So, while it was lifted off its foundation (no doubt due to being not properly anchored to it) and the siding was taken off the structure survived relatively intact.

Then you see a pile of wreckage like this:

The bearing walls don't have regular stud spacing. The plain rafters are at who knows what interval. There is no interior dry wall, just an exterior of thin panel siding. It likely isn't nailed to any pattern either. Essentially it's a big, cheap, shed of shoddy construction. The roof pulled off and the home came apart like a $5 suit.
It isn't even on a proper foundation.

Same thing here. Poor, substandard construction led to the destruction you see.
His great advice for shootings is to:

Quote:
in situations like that, you know, try to stay safe. As somebody said — get small
Stay safe.... ya... great stuff...
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:27
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljadw View Post
Abut the murderer : before the killings, he wired $100000 to the Philippines .

About his girlfriend : she filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and married ,at the same time, two men .
Ops... told you to stay away from Infowars...

http://www.newsweek.com/marilou-danl...-number-677033

Quote:
RETRACTED: PADDOCK'S GIRLFRIEND USED TWO SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS AND WAS MARRIED TO TWO MEN AT THE SAME TIME

Newsweek has retracted its story that reviewed the public records of Marilou Danley, the girlfriend of Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock.

The initial report was based on many public records, but included an error that came to light after publication when a family member came forward.
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 04 Oct 17, 15:29
General of the Forums
United_States

This is interesting:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/35...-vegas-shooter

Quote:
The former chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee said Wednesday that the device used by the Las Vegas gunman to convert a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon should be banned.

Rep. Bill Flores (R-Texas), a gun owner himself, may be the first Republican in Congress to call for a ban on so-called “bump stocks.”

“I think they should be banned. There’s no reason for a typical gun owner to own anything that converts a semi-automatic to something that behaves like an automatic,” Flores told The Hill in an interview just off the House floor.

“Based on the videos I heard and saw, and now that I’ve studied up on what a bump stock is — I didn’t know there was such a thing — there’s no reason for it,” Flores said.
It will be interesting to see if the NRA comes out with a reflexive defense of Bump Stocks.....
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 04 Oct 17, 16:14
Major
United_States

Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100] Mystikeye has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I don't know how anyone can suggest a solution to what happened in Vegas since no one knows what the heck happened yet. Out of all the slayings over the years this one so far has got to be the weirdest. Nobody knows jack diddley about him and what little is known came from his brother. I wouldn't trust that info with a 10 foot pole.
Old 04 Oct 17, 17:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I too don't have a problem with banning the bump stock. It won't do much to stop a future shooter, but there really is no reason for having then in private hands either.
Old 04 Oct 17, 17:16
General of the Forums
United_States

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Most of the Slidefire stock owners who I've met wannabe operator idiots who couldn't use the weapon's sights if their life depended on it.
Old 04 Oct 17, 17:33
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
What does any of the above have to do with the FBI lying?
I'm not saying the Feds are lying, but Trump fired their boss a while back so they're not perfect.
And statistically almost half of them are Hillary and Democrat supporters, and as she says muslims have got nothing to do with terrorism, they might be parroting what she says.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!