StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 05 Jun 17, 22:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question What are the top turn-based games now?

My collection of turn-based strategy games is getting old. I still have Norm Koger's Operational Art of War and Campaign Series. This stuff is like 18 years old.

I heard Grisby's War in the East is great.

What else is there worth playing?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Jun 17, 22:57
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
My collection of turn-based strategy games is getting old. I still have Norm Koger's Operational Art of War and Campaign Series. This stuff is like 18 years old.

I heard Grisby's War in the East is great.

What else is there worth playing?
TOAW IV...well, in beta right now. Great so far.
Old 06 Jun 17, 15:47
General of the Forums
United_States

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
TOAW IV...well, in beta right now. Great so far.
Nothing else? There must be 100 games at Matrix and Shrapnel. All of them crap?

Old 06 Jun 17, 21:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dominions 4. A game that is for the best and brightest.

When someone beat my Lanka blessed with blood vengeance and quickness...

When someone beat my Niefeljarls with blood vengeance and regeneration.

It's not for the lesser beings...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25..._of_Ascension/

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 07 Jun 17, 15:24
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Nothing else? There must be 100 games at Matrix and Shrapnel. All of them crap?
I find the prices way too high in general, so I don't really know. Panzer Corps gold was on sale a bit ago, so I bought that. Was ok, but also old. Brother against Brother was interesting, but a bit lacking in the end.

The D-Day sale is on so I guess take a risk? Strategic Command has been getting good reviews, haven't tried myself.
Old 09 Jun 17, 12:54
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
I still play Steel Panzers - WWII and Modern Combat.
Old 13 Jun 17, 22:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
OMG! Steel Panzers? That game was soooo... awful!

I think the funniest moment in it was when I was playing a scenario with naval fire support and a 12" battleship round "bounced off" a Sturmgeschultz... That's like claiming a supersonic VW beetle would bounce off a Ford F350 pickup truck and do nothing to it... Or a meteor striking a house would simply ricochet off it...

It was absurd.
Old 13 Jun 17, 23:34
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I think the funniest moment in it was when I was playing a scenario with naval fire support and a 12" battleship round "bounced off" a Sturmgeschultz... That's like claiming a supersonic VW beetle would bounce off a Ford F350 pickup truck and do nothing to it... Or a meteor striking a house would simply ricochet off it...

It was absurd.

I once had someone argue in Panzerblitz that a pushcart was a vehicle and thus I had to stop moving my PzIV when I got to it. When I tried to say that I would shoot it he said that I couldnít shoot it since I had moved so I had to stop out in the open and wait until the next turn to do anything about it. Of course on his turn he called in off board artillery and destroyed my tank. Not surprising I havenít played the game since.
Old 15 Jun 17, 12:01
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
It was absurd.
Dude, Steel Panthers is timeless. Nobody has managed to come up with a better product in a quarter of a century...

You have to give it a try. Granted, graphics look 25 years old because they are, but this game is epic.

What I like about it best is how you can build your own order of battle and then use combined arms tactics with units working together.

Also, the dynamic random campaign model is superb. I'm a campaign player, that's what I like about games, because I like to nurture my force and watch it grown and improve over time.

Shrapnel Games has winSPWW2 and winSPMBT to download. You should give it a try. The win prefix indicates they made it compatible with Windows 10.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 15 Jun 17 at 12:09..
Old 15 Jun 17, 16:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Try a download of PanzerGeneral Forever. I still play it.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Jun 17, 08:23
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

dave123 is on the path to success [1-99] dave123 is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm having fun with Strategic Command Europe. Not perfect, but still fun. Server based Multiplayer saves it as the AI is not that good. It's on steam and matrix/slitherine.
Old 18 Jun 17, 16:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Quote:

It was absurd.
I have to agree that the default realism settings leave a lot to be desired, but that is countered by the player's ability to edit all aspects of the game, including the lethality of that 12" round.

I still play battles and scenarios that I create or modify, and I always go through the editing process to make it as realistic as I can, right down to squad level. For example, I reuse to accept a MG crew that cannot keep up with the rest of the squad. The entire squad has the same movement parameters because that's the way it works in the real world.

Even then, I still can't kill a Maus without cheating.
Old 18 Jun 17, 16:39
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Dude, Steel Panthers is timeless. Nobody has managed to come up with a better product in a quarter of a century...

You have to give it a try. Granted, graphics look 25 years old because they are, but this game is epic.

What I like about it best is how you can build your own order of battle and then use combined arms tactics with units working together.

Also, the dynamic random campaign model is superb. I'm a campaign player, that's what I like about games, because I like to nurture my force and watch it grown and improve over time.

Shrapnel Games has winSPWW2 and winSPMBT to download. You should give it a try. The win prefix indicates they made it compatible with Windows 10.
Blitzkrieg was very good that was, as well, although it played out in real time. I miss that game a lot.
Old 19 Jun 17, 22:42
General of the Forums
Finland

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake in the works...or will be once coders are found.
Old 23 Jun 17, 10:17
Colonel
United_States

Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99]
I have a number of turn based strategy games from Matrix website of the newer generation style gaming systems. I find the AI plenty of entertainment for myself. I never have time or desire for gameplay with others. I have them mainly due to my interest in history and geography. They are all serious historical materials but naturally they are not perfectly historical in playing out in gameplay. They are great games.

It is difficult to give a list of rankings of most favored to least favored.

I have the following: Grisby's War in the East, Espana 1936, Rise of Prussia Gold, War in Pacific (Old version), Wars of Napolen, Revolution Under Siege Gold, Thirty Year War, (American) Civil War I and II. I play all of these off and on as it pleases me and fits my mood. I keep them current on updates from the website.

At the moment, I am back on War in the East maybe because I am studying/reading subject matter involving the battles around Smolenki, Russia 1941. Its only a part time entertainment kick for a history nerd.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!