StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 24 Feb 16, 16:37
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
Pen & Sword are bringing a number of English language titles on the French army out, to their credit

This is the most recent one that popped up.

Quote:
Charles Delvert's diary records his career as a front-line officer in the French army fighting the Germans during the First World War. It is one of the classic accounts of the war in French or indeed in any other language, and it has not been translated into English before. In precise, graphic detail he sets down his wartime experiences and those of his men. He describes the relentless emotional and physical strain of active service and the extraordinary courage and endurance required in battle. His account is essential reading for anyone who is keen to gain a direct insight into the Great War from the French soldier's point of view, and it bears comparison with the best-known English and German memoirs and journals of the Great War.
Due Sept 2016.

As well a popular history from Tim Gale:

Due June 2016

Not sure if it's a reworking of his Ashgate title or not though.
Old 24 Mar 16, 03:37
General of the Forums
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just arrived on my desk, courtesy the girlfriend:

The blurb states:
It took several million bullets and roughly an hor to destroy General Sir Douglas Haig's grand plans for the First Day of the Somme, 1 July 1916. By day's end 19,240 British soldiers were dead, crumpled khaki bundles scattered across pasture studded with the scarlet of poppies and smouldering shell holes. A further 35,493 were wounded.

This single sunny day remains Britain's worst-ever military disaster, bot numerically and statistically more deadly than the infamous charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava in 1954. Responsibility lay with hundreds of German machineguns and scores of artillery batteries waiting silently to deal death to the long-anticipated attack.

Now, for the first time in 100 years, New Zealand author and military historian Andrew McDonald brings both the British and German stories of this singularly bloody day together in his major new international book, First Day of the Somme: The complete account of Britain's worst-ever military disaster.

While laying the blame for the butchery squarely on widespread British command failures, he also compellingly shows the outcome was a triumph of German discipline, planning and tactics, with German commanders mostly outclassing their opposite numbers.

The First Day of the Somme is the first-ever balanced and top-to-bottom account of that tragic day as told from both British and German perspectives. It is a major contribution to World War I history, and an epic story of courage, misery and endurance in its own right.

Last edited by broderickwells; 24 Mar 16 at 04:41..
Old 26 Mar 16, 15:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]

Written in Blood: The Battles for Fortress Przemyl in WWI

By Graydon Tunstall
Indiana University Press
Aug 2016

Quote:
Bloodier than Verdun, the battles for Fortress Przemyl were pivotal to victory on the Eastern Front during the early years of World War I. Control of the fortress changed hands three times during the fall of 1914. In 1915, the Austro-Hungarian armies launched three major offensives to penetrate the Russian encirclement and relieve the 120,000 trapped in the besieged fortress. Drawing on myriad sources, historian Graydon A. Tunstall tells of the impossible conditions facing the garrison: starvation, "horse-meat" diets, deplorable medical care, prostitution, alcoholism, dismal morale, and a failed breakout attempt. By the time the fortress finally fell to the Russians on March 22, 1915, the Hapsburg Army had sustained 800,000 casualties; the Russians, over a million. The fortress, however, had served its purpose. Tunstall argues that the besieged garrison kept the Russian army from advancing farther and obliterating the already weakening Austro-Hungarian forces at the outset of the War to End All Wars.
Old 27 Mar 16, 05:01
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
It is more usually recognised as a great Russian victory because
  • of the large casualties inflicted on relieving forces trying to reach the fortress (and which I don't think are included in the figures quoted)
  • the quantity of men and materiel captured
  • The fact that contrary to the experience of most sieges the defenders outnumbered the attackers
  • the huge blow the fall did to public morale in the dual monarchy - said by some to have had a greater impact than either Kut or Singapore did on the British Empire.
Old 03 Jun 16, 10:52
Brigadier General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Thumbs up

A wonderful book is now available:

Quote:
After long months of research I have just completed this book and it is now available at last. (128 pages)

Its special feature is that it presents the genuine insignias drafted precisely from original fuselage fabric, period photos and the most reliable sources, failing that the sketches by Cdt Moreau-Bertillon. This document only takes into consideration the insignias used on November 11th 1918 at 11AM.

The work is supplemented with a few precisions on the organisation of this nascent Air Service and anecdotes.

Finally, this document may be open to evolution, if new insignias can be confirmed - an ongoing process, with the addition of a replacement vignette will be available

L'AERONAUTIQUE MILITAIRE 1914-1918

Heraldry & Insignias of Tradition.

This book is completely bilingual, French and English.

With the following link you will be able to sample a few pages https://www.dropbox.com/s/iko9w7clo5...let-2.pdf?dl=0

Unit price : 30€

Postage & packing : 5€

Would you like your copy to be autographed ? (Please specify to whom)

Which one of the here listed Ex-Libris will you choose (One free per book ordered, among these Escadrilles : 3, 39, 63, 69, 75, 85, 124, 154, 252 , 281 & 471 both US designs )

Payment has to be made available to Philippe Jourdan by personal check, postal order, IMOs, bank transfert or PayPal ( philjourdanataoldotcom )

Philippe JOURDAN

26 Place des Arcades

82440 Réalville.

France.

Phone : 336 60 82 63 53 E-mail contact : philjourdanataoldotcom

This is great work, a must-have book for insignias-afficionados and WWI air war fans in my opinion.

I wrote several times to the author and he is top-notch !

Last edited by VieuxChat; 03 Jun 16 at 12:40..
Old 03 Jun 16, 16:47
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Looks interesting but even though I sadly no longer have a wife to act as comptroller of bookish expenditure (and I don't have to smuggle them in) I think I've blown my non essential expenditure for this month
Old 03 Jun 16, 18:37
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
I would like to get my hands on a copy of Deeply Canadian (New Submarines for a New Millennium) by Julie H. Ferguson
http://www.canadianperiscope.ca/#!dply-cdn/c1qvo
The story of British H Class Submarines built in Canada during WW1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_H-class_submarine

Cheers, Patrick
Old 30 Jun 16, 13:42
Corporal
United_States

OttoHarkaman is on the path to success [1-99]
Lots of good books in this thread that I am going to have to track down!

I am reading a number of books on WW1 in the Middle East, this oldie was mentioned so many times by more current books that I had to track down a copy. A.J. Barker writes an easy to read and follow narrative of the Mesopotamian campaign.

Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 30 Jun 16 at 13:48..
Old 20 Oct 16, 17:37
Private
United_States

USAFnav is on the path to success [1-99]
I just finished:
Francis H. Webster, Somewhere Over There: The Letters, Diary, and Artwork of a World War I Corporal. Edited by Darrek D. Orwig. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2016.

Webster was in Machine Gun Company, 168th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division (US). He was a cartoonist who drew pictures for the Des Moines Capital during the war. Sadly, Webster was killed in action in October 1918.
It's an excellent read, and my review will appear in Army History magazine, probably early next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webster.jpg (73.6 KB, 1 views)

Please check out my author's webpage:
http://www.amazon.com/author/peter.belmonte
Old 23 Oct 16, 21:18
Private
United_States

And starting this:

Marian Small. When Johnny Doesn’t Come Marching Home. Victoria, Canada: Friesen Press, 2016.

The story of First Sergeant John R. Small, Company G, 147th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division (US). Using his letters and diary (and photos), Ms. Small tells the story of her father, who was badly wounded in action in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small.jpg (121.7 KB, 0 views)

Sponsored Links

Old 07 Nov 16, 16:59
Private
United_States

(Apologies for the cover photo)
I've just finished this book:

Nic Clarke. Unwanted Warriors: Rejected Volunteers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Vancouver, BC: UBC Press, 2015.

It covers the story of men who volunteered for service during the war and then were rejected (or accepted and later rejected). This is an excellent coverage of a neglected topic. My full review will appear in (US) Army History magazine, sometime next year.
Peter L. Belmonte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unwanted Warriors.jpg (409.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 07 Nov 16, 17:11
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99] Tuebor is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Written in Blood: The Battles for Fortress Przemyl in WWI

By Graydon Tunstall
Indiana University Press
Aug 2016
Did his writing improve?

MPR

Last edited by Tuebor; 08 Nov 16 at 13:52..
Old 30 Nov 16, 03:50
Brigadier General
France
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]

Very funny drawings, and a good overview of the first red one during WWI and how it performed.
Old 27 Jan 17, 18:36
Private
United_States

Here are two fine books by Stephen L. Harris:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg books.jpg (238.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 16 Jun 17, 17:56
Corporal
United_States

Felix C is on the path to success [1-99]
The 100 Year Centenary of the Great War has brought out some little known works. Here is a German Torpedoboat commander memoir:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by Felix C; 16 Jun 17 at 19:38..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!