StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 03 Jul 05, 22:41
Major
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99] horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I am stickying this thread and making it the official book thread for the WW1 Forum!
Excellent! I'll be looking around for books to add to the thread!!

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN
Old 12 Jul 05, 19:44
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Found another recommendation on my shelf

Tannenberg: Clash of Empires by Dennis Showalter
Old 12 Jul 05, 20:25
Captain
United_States

C.M. Ansley is on the path to success [1-99] C.M. Ansley is on the path to success [1-99] C.M. Ansley is on the path to success [1-99] C.M. Ansley is on the path to success [1-99]
RichardS tells me (and everyone else) about how good Dreadnought and Castles of Steel, both by Robert K. Massie, are, but that's Naval History. Might not be what you're looking for just yet.

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
-Werner Pluskat
Old 12 Jul 05, 22:37
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.M. Ansley
RichardS tells me (and everyone else) about how good Dreadnought and Castles of Steel, both by Robert K. Massie, are, but that's Naval History. Might not be what you're looking for just yet.
But, the naval arms race was a major cause of WW I. I would say they are essencial reading for any one trying to understand they complex set of pre war allegences that led to the "domino effect" of events that led to four years of carnage...........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 08 Aug 05, 14:55
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
History of the 20th Century which is an epic series of essays and reports by respected historians is thousands of pages long and has a whole volume devoted purely to the First World War. It may be hard to find these days but if you can it will be an excellent read.

Old 12 Sep 05, 12:50
Lieutenant General
Pirate

Mini-Me has a spectacular aura about [400]
Mini-Me has a spectacular aura about [400]
When Hell Froze Over by E.M. Halliday

It covers the American expedition to Russia during 1919. Even though not technically during WWI, it was a good book. I learned quite a bit about a subject I barely heard of.
Old 14 Sep 05, 16:07
Major
United_States

w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.M. Ansley
Probably the finest books I have read on the origins of World War I, great research and a pleasure to read.
Old 16 Oct 05, 01:19
Captain
United_States

vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99]
Has anyone read Sidney Fay's "Origins of World War One" ? I found it on bookfinder.com and ordered it last week. Allan Calhamer (inventor of the boardgame Diplomacy) supposedly read this work around the time he created the game, and it heavily influenced the design. I am hoping it is a good read. I have Tuchman's 'Guns of August', Keegan's 'First World War', and Liddell Hart's "The Great War 1914-1918" (not sure if that is the title).

Can anyone recommend a good biography of General Pershing?
Old 25 Dec 05, 14:03

Disclaimer: Although I have these books - I have not had time to read them - so I am not in a position to give much of a review.

The Great War: the Illustrated History of the First World War (in 6 volumes).

>I Opening Moves
>II Digging In
>III Deadlock
>IV Carnage
>V Continuing Struggle
>VI Victory at Last

-these are reprints of an original 13 volume series that seems to have been published during the war -as such, they have more of a feel of reading a period newspaper.

Great Battles of World War I by Anthony Livesey

-this one is more of a coffee table picture book, although it has some very good illustrations and some pretty clear and concise maps - there are others in this series about World War II, The Civil War, Great Battles of Great Generals, and Vietnam - there may be others as well

The Historical Atlas of World War I by Anthony Livesey

-Featuring much like on would expect -maps of battles, military maneuvers, as well as time lines, and liberal use of illustrations; a great reference item.

The U-Boat War by Edwyn A. Gray

-The U-Boat War 1914-18, got this one at a Barnes and Noble bargain table, think I paid a buck for it - no dust jacket -looked like it was worth that dollar.

Naval Battles of the First World War by Geoffrey Bennett

-I assume the title has to be self explanatory - but I bought it because it was about $5 and it filled a gap in my library -or at least I thought it probably filled a gap.

The Ship that Changed the World by Dan van der Vat

-The escape of the Goeben to the Dardanelles in 1914.

Gallipoli by Alan Moorehead

The Battle of Jutland by Geoffrey Bennett

Passchendaele by Philip Warner

The Thin Yellow Line by William Moore

-About the British executions of shell shocked troops during World War I (according to the book reverse, there were 346 British soldiers executed for this - never heard of the incidents -bought the book because it was inexpensive and part of a series I was collecting).

Death of an Army by Anthony Farrar-Hockley

-About the First Battle of Ypres in October and November 1914 -about the virtual destruction of the BEF in holding off the Germans from taking the Channel ports.

The Battle of Loos by Philip Warner

The Battle of the Somme by Peter Liddle

-I think the subtitle is "A Reappraisal".

Business in Great Water by John Terraine

-About the U-Boat Wars 1916-45.

Lost Anzacs by Greg Kerr

-About a pair of Australian brothers -both of which went Gallipoli- the thing about this book is that the author was researching about his Great Uncle's war record -and discovered another Great Uncle that he'd never known about. (apparently both of these men kept diaries- and iirc one was captured by the Turks.)

The Zimmerman Telegram by Barbara Tuchman

Army Uniforms of World War 1 by Andrew Mollo/Pierre Turner

-A great reference for uniforms throughout the war from pretty much every nation that fought (in Europe at least - iirc there are no Japanese uniforms in here - but they do have Portugal, Belgium, Romania, Greece among the usual other suspects.)

Over There by Frank Freidel

-The subtitle is - the American Experience in World War I
Old 07 Apr 06, 13:58
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
War in Eastern Europe by John Reed

I can recommend 'War in Eastern Europe' by John Reed who is also the author of the much more famous 'Ten Days that Shook the World' about the Russian Revolution.

War in Eastern Europe is a very personal, impressionist account of the fighting in Serbia late 1915 and, after having traversed neutral Romania, of the characteristics of the Russian Army fighting the Austrians and Germans. Great on atmosphere.
Reed must have been in at the beginning of the Allied landings in Saloniki and travelled North all the way to Belgrade immediately, sharing with us vivid description of a confident Serb Army (WW1 Serbian Army is a favourite of mine, so I'm partial) holding off the Austrians with superb disdain, only weeks before the German/Austrian onslaught forced it to withdraw out of Belgrade, South, over the Albanian mountians to Corfu. After visiting the front at Belgrade Reed crosses over into neutral Roumania and through to Russia where he runs into very colourful, inventive and likeable Russians, many of whom seem not afraid at all to take on the German might, in spite of some earlier setbacks, confident that in the end the inexhaustable Mother Russia will prevail.
I enjoyed every page of it.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 01 May 06, 23:19
Captain
United_States

vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99] vyshka is on the path to success [1-99]
Whew, I finally got Sidney Fay's "Origins of the World War". The original person on bookfinder apparently didn't have it or it got lost in transit. I was able to order it from someone else fairly cheaply. It is a 2 volume set and goes into the diplomacy surrounding the war. I am looking forward to reading them.
Old 22 Jun 06, 15:15
Sergeant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Frankenstein is on the path to success [1-99] Frankenstein is on the path to success [1-99]
Just curious...

Anybody read "A Popular History of the Great War Vol 1-6"? I have a set of these (inherited originals) and am wondering where to slot them into the reading list (Great=Near the top, Not so Great=Near the bottom)
Old 22 Jun 06, 16:35
Sergeant
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

VillyVonka is on the path to success [1-99] VillyVonka is on the path to success [1-99]
A few recommendations here, mainly focused on the British Army:

Fiction, but superb - Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front"

"Tommy" - Richard Holmes

"Forgotten Victory" - Gary Sheffield - exploding all those tired old "lions led by donkeys" myths

"The War the Infantry Knew" - Captain JC Dunn

"Mons - Retreat to Victory" - John Terraine

The Guns of August - Barbara Tuchman

"Douglas Haig - The Educated Soldier" - John Terraine

"They Called It Passchendaele" - Lyn MacDonald

"General Jack's Diary, 1914-18" - J.L. Jack

Last edited by VillyVonka; 22 Jun 06 at 16:38..
Old 30 Jun 06, 18:49
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Europe's Last Summer: Who started the Great War in 1914? by David Fomkin. I am really enjoying it.

It looks at the causes from the idea that the war was started deliberately. German generals saw the war as inevitable and manipulated events so that the war would be waged on their terms.

Last edited by Duncan; 30 Jun 06 at 18:51..
Old 16 Aug 06, 00:12
Staff Sergeant
United_States

sirabe is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me
Thanks guys. I appeciate the recommendations. My wife just got The Guns of August , so I can start there.
ITS A GREAT BOOK ONE OF THE BEST
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!