StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 11 Jul 10, 11:59
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I have "Almost a Miracle", but had to put it down for personal reasons. From what I read so far it is indeed a good read and I really should pick it up again.
Old 17 Sep 10, 03:34
First Sergeant
United_States

milhistorian is on the path to success [1-99] milhistorian is on the path to success [1-99]
One that we recently read for class is "The Road to Guiliford Courthouse" by John Buchanan. It focuses on the Southern campaigns, the likes of which included are the Waxhaws, King's Mountain, and of course, Guiliford Courthouse, lol. Its is a great good, a bit of a lengthy read, but well worth the effort.

One historical fiction that I'm looking forward to is "The Fort" by Bernard Cornwell.

Last edited by milhistorian; 17 Sep 10 at 03:39..
Old 28 Sep 10, 21:01
Recruit
United_States

Croaker is a balanced individual [0]
I am looking at picking up "The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past" by Alan Axelrod.

Has anyone here read this book yet?
Old 28 Sep 10, 21:13
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
I have it on the shelf but haven't gotten to it yet.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 28 Sep 10, 21:25
Recruit
United_States

Croaker is a balanced individual [0]
Ah, I see. I think I'll probably go on ahead and pick this book up.

I don't have much knowledge on this conflict and this book seems a good place to start.

Though, I do plan to pick up quite a few books from this thread.
Old 28 Sep 10, 21:48
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
May I suggest a different one?

In my humble opinion, THE best one volume history of the war is John Ferling's Almost a Miracle. Start there. Then read his companion volume on the politics of the Revolution, and then you will have a solid footing to move forward.

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 28 Sep 10, 21:53
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm going to agree with Eric here. Almost a Miracle is an excellent book. Readable and pretty complete for a single volume telling of the revolution.
Old 29 Oct 10, 19:32
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
What can anyone tell me about William Moultrie's Memoirs of the American Revolution, Vol 1.?

This is the third time I have tried to buy Vol 1 only to find out its just another version of Vol 2. Even happened again on Million-books.com. And then I run into a footnote citing Vol 1, page 86. What exactly is the story here? Has Vol 1 been lost in time?
Old 30 Oct 10, 08:41
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Hugh has disabled reputation
Elijah - my copy of Moultrie's Memoirs is 1968 NYTimes/Arnos Press facsimilie edition. 2 volumes in one. Sometimes you see it available used. I believe that someone has the two volumes as one in print on demand format. Do you need a copy of that page?
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 30 Oct 10, 09:02
Captain
United_States

Not so much that page as I have simply experienced a few failures in getting Vol 1 and was starting to wonder if it was really out there.

Thanks for confirming that is really does exist. I will go to the library and see if I can get a inter-library loan. Then maybe scan the whole thing. I have been known to resort to such tactics before.
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Oct 10, 09:04
Captain
United_States

My copy of vol 2 is from Applewood Press but I cannot see that they offer a vol 1. I think the other publisher that I failed with was General Books LLC
Old 30 Oct 10, 09:05
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Hang on a few minutes - literally. I thnk I just found it online - both volumes.
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 30 Oct 10, 09:06
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Got it.
http://www.archive.org/stream/memoir...ge/n9/mode/2up
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 30 Oct 10, 09:08
Staff Sergeant
United_States

You can also download the whole thing -
http://www.archive.org/details/memoirsofamerica12moul
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 30 Oct 10, 09:10
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
fantastic. Thanks a bunch. I'm currently looking into the events of 1775 concerning the seizure of powder ships and magazines in the southern colonies. Hoping Moultrie has some info to add. Drayton had much to say on the subject as did Hugh McCall. I'm of the opinion the later southern campaigns may well have been a disaster had the '75 campaigns not been so effective in disarming the loyalists of the south.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!