StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 03 Nov 09, 19:24
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Paul Burns is on the path to success [1-99]
Currently reading The war of the Revolution by Christopher Ward. Its old (1952) and has a cuople of minor errors in it. (For example the 2nd Battalion of Marines embarked on the Charles Town Peninsula too late to participate in the third attack on the Breed's Hill redoubt, and Sir George Clinton did not participate in that attack. He arrived after it was all over, if other histories I've read are right.). But, one balance, the work is magisterial in its scope - just about to start reading about the Souhthern campaigns) and is still one of the best histories of the land war during the War for American Independence.
Have recently read Elting's The Battle of Bunker's Hill mentioned up thread. I think he's a little too harsh on General Gage and far too generous on Admiral Graves. It is, nevertheless, an excellent military history.
Old 08 Nov 09, 00:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
"Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Intellectual Origins of the Constitution" - Forrest McDonald In my opinion, this book is a must have.
All of Mcdonald's books are must haves.
Old 11 Nov 09, 04:03
Corporal
United_States

TM2(SW/AW) is on the path to success [1-99]
If you want to read about the Continental Navy, Sea of Glory. An excellent book by Nathaniel Miller.
Old 11 Nov 09, 06:00
Staff Sergeant
Australia

I've just been working through a whole heap of secondary sources about the Battle of Bunker Hill. Am currently reading Ketchum's Decisive Day While its extremely well written, I'm not sure its very good history. He seems to pile everything in, is not very selective in his use of material, imposes an horology which, given the confused times in primary (and for that matter secondary) sources is a bit unwise. He also gets stuff just plain wrong - he buys the idea that Howe's initial strategy was a frontal attack, has Howe change his strategy while crossing the Charles River, - he didn't do it till he landed - etc., etc. etc. Its really a pretty annoying book, and in places smacks more of a novel than a history. IMHO.
Old 25 Dec 09, 02:31
Recruit
United_States

SunZi is a balanced individual [0]
An excellent book on from the British Perspective is "Those Damned Rebels....The American Revolution as Seen Through British Eyes" by Michael Pearfon. An interesting read that spans the entire war years.
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Dec 09, 18:42
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZi View Post
An excellent book on from the British Perspective is "Those Damned Rebels....The American Revolution as Seen Through British Eyes" by Michael Pearfon. An interesting read that spans the entire war years.
It is, indeed.
Old 25 Jan 10, 23:33
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm totally excited. Just got a copy of John Stuart and the Southern Colonial Frontier by John Richard Alden. Had to order it from a used book dealer in Britain and paid an embarrasing amount for an old book (but not old enough to be antique). But, no matter, been looking for it awhile now and am very pleased.
Old 26 Jan 10, 17:37
Sergeant Major
United_States

royalwelch is on the path to success [1-99] royalwelch is on the path to success [1-99] royalwelch is on the path to success [1-99] royalwelch is on the path to success [1-99]
A book that might be of interest is "Fusiliers" by Mark Urban. The 23rd Foot was the only British Regiment to fight from Lexington Green in 1775 to Yorktown in 1781.

Best regards,
RW
Old 05 Apr 10, 20:38
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Just read Kings Mountain and Cowpens by Robert W. Brown, Jr. It is a short work that doesn't go into much detail about the characters or events. He keeps to the story and tells it well. I applaud Mr. Brown for avoiding getting into a love affair with Ferguson although his bias to the Patriots does show in a couple of places. Particularly making assumptions the uncivilized part of the war in the south started with British or Loyalist actions. However, I enjoyed it very much. He placed alot of emphasis on analysis of the battles and their impact on the war.

Last edited by Elijah; 05 Apr 10 at 20:43..
Old 10 Apr 10, 05:19
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Reading Eric Williams'Capitalism and Slavery but haven't got up to the chapter on the American Revolution yet. Also reading Joy Day Buel & Richard Buel Jnrs' The Way of Duty. A woman and her Family in Revolutionary America. Is excellent on the First Great Awakening in Connecticut, and so far, on the Connecticut home front and the New York campaign as seen from there. (haven't finished it yet.) Despite purportedly being women's history it is a work of quite considerable interest to anyone intetrested in the military or social history of Revolutionary America. I recommend it to readers here.
Old 18 Apr 10, 21:05
Recruit
United_States

appalachia is a balanced individual [0]
Civilian life and partisan warfare during the Revolution

I'm interested in exploring civilian life during the Revolution, in particular how partisan hostilities played out among private citizens. Was there during the Revolution the equivalent of the vicious guerrilla warfare that took place in Missouri during the Civil War? An example I'm familiar with (thanks to an old WPA Guide) would be the Hancock House massacre in southern New Jersey in 1778, and, down South, the weird character "Bloody Bill" Cunningham. I'd appreciate any suggestions for books to read on this subject.
Old 19 Apr 10, 15:22
Captain
United_States

You might take a look at nothing but Blood and Slaughter by Patrick O'Kelley. It is a 4 volume set. "Bloody Bill" shows up several times. I believe he has a campaign of sorts in Vol 3.
Old 20 Apr 10, 06:35
Recruit
United_States

appalachia is a balanced individual [0]
Civilian life and partisan warfare during the Revolution

Thank you, Elijah. I checked out the description of the series on Amazon and it's exactly the kind of history I was looking for, that is, the war that went on behind the set-piece battles that everyone has heard of.
Old 08 May 10, 21:54
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Am currently reading Sir Henry Clinton's The American Rebellion. Fascinating stuff, especially for the unintended insights into Clinton's character. I had been quite sympathetic to him before I read this, but now I'm actually beginning to think he was a highly unpleasant man.
Old 06 Jul 10, 22:51
Captain
United_States

Finally got around to reading John Ferling's Almost a Miracle. Like most survey books it left me hungry for more. Particularly more from the Partisans of the Southern Campaign. Also very short on Cherokee War, Georgia invasion, 1775 south Carolina developments. However, I really enjoyed the book as it moved very rapidly and easily. Ferling makes his points on strategy in a very clear manner. Also does a really fine job (in my opinion) in analyzing the people involved. Very good read but I am going to have to mention one item: Elijah Clarke was from Georgia!
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!