StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 01 Jul 09, 22:16
Private First Class
United_States

goodfelladh is on the path to success [1-99]
Finished David McCullough's 1776 yesterday, which I surprisingly had never gotten to. It was a great read, as McCullough is an excellent writer. A fitting book to read this week in coming to the Fourth of July weekend.

Today I started The Battle of Brooklyn 1776 by John J. Gallagher. I'm only about 40 pages in so far, so I'll post more thoughts after I get further into it and/or finish it.
Old 04 Jul 09, 15:57
Private First Class
United_States

goodfelladh is on the path to success [1-99]
I finished The Battle of Brooklyn today... it was good, though nothing really groundbreaking or that you probably can't find elsewhere. There are some good maps to really break down troop movements, and there are some accounts from folks writing on the battle that I hadn't seen used before. The book is also really good in relating where in modern-day Brooklyn certain events in the battle took place. So, in summary, the actual details of the fighting and the battle are good but nothing amazing -- basically get the same coverage that I got in reading McCullough's 1776. Still, definitely one worth seeking out as the author obviously has a strong belief in the importance of The Battle of Brooklyn in both American and military history.

Next up for me: Benedict Arnold's Navy by James L. Nelson. Anybody read this one already?
Old 04 Jul 09, 16:32
First Sergeant
United_States

Gideon is on the path to success [1-99] Gideon is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfelladh View Post
I finished The Battle of Brooklyn today... it was good, though nothing really groundbreaking or that you probably can't find elsewhere. There are some good maps to really break down troop movements, and there are some accounts from folks writing on the battle that I hadn't seen used before. The book is also really good in relating where in modern-day Brooklyn certain events in the battle took place. So, in summary, the actual details of the fighting and the battle are good but nothing amazing -- basically get the same coverage that I got in reading McCullough's 1776. Still, definitely one worth seeking out as the author obviously has a strong belief in the importance of The Battle of Brooklyn in both American and military history.

Next up for me: Benedict Arnold's Navy by James L. Nelson. Anybody read this one already?
Yes. I thought the book was good but not in the same league as some others. Nevertheless, it was a good look at an important sidelight of our history that is not in the limelight. Ultimately, Arnold's action slowed the advance of Carleton's fleet and purchased more time for our army to strengthen. It shows too that Arnold was not only a great battlefield commander but a very good sea commander as well, given the right mix of ability and boldness.
Old 07 Jul 09, 10:41
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300]
The Minute Men By Gen. John R. Galvin. Its not just about the Battles of Lexington & Concord but goes on to the make up and history of both Minute Men and militia, the events leading up to the battles and the aftermath. I also want to recommend Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fisher. It is about the disastrous battles of New York to the battles of both Trenton and Princeton and the winter campaign that followed which saved the Revolution from defeat. Great books.
Old 15 Jul 09, 00:50
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Paul Burns is on the path to success [1-99]
re books on the British side. The Lost War, Letters from British Officers during the American Revolution is good. David Syrett's books on the Royal Navy in European and American waters are quite good, but the volume about the Royal Navy in American Waters can only be purchased on line. For the pre-war period Neil R. Stout's The Royal Navy in America, 1760-1775 is excellent, as is Julian Glyn's Frigates and Foremasts, The North American Squadron in Nova Scotia, 1745-1815. which also covers the Seven Years' War and War of 1812. Mackesy is probably one of the best secondary sources for the British side for the Revolution, though Hibbert's Redcoats and Rebels is worth a look. There are quite a number of good primary sources for the British/Hessian side that are quite accessible.

Last edited by Paul Burns; 15 Jul 09 at 00:58..
Old 07 Aug 09, 22:09
Staff Sergeant
Australia

I'm currently working my way through the major secondary sources on the Lexington/Concord battles.
Am most impressed by David Hackett Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride and have yet to read Galvin's The Minute Men.(It's sitting on my bedside table.) I'm currently reading Allen French's The Day of Concord and Lexington, and so far am quite impressed. Though originally written in 1925, it dates well and is very much worth a look at.
Also very good is Victor Brook's The Boston Campaign, April 1775-March 1776, though unfortunately it lacks a bibliography and footnotes.
However, I found Arthur B. Tourtellot's Lexington and Concord. The Beginning of the War of the American Revolution very disappointing. Probably the only thing in it I'm likely to use is his story of the British shooting the village idiot at Metonomy, and so far I find no support for that in other texts. I have to do a bit more reading in other secondary and primary sources, but I have some doubt about the accuracy of his interpretation in some areas, for example, the alleged advance reconnaisance of Sutherland and Adair prior to the arrival of the Pitcairn contingent at Lexington. Is he correct with this or has he misinterpreted the primary sources? Or have I missed something? (I've read Mackenzie and Barker, and some of American Archives and am waiting on a collection of Lexington/Concord sources currently in the post before I make up my mind completely.)
Apart from the usual general histories, are there any other books on Lexington Concord people can recommend?

Last edited by Paul Burns; 07 Aug 09 at 22:13..
Old 14 Aug 09, 05:52
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Having just read the relevant section in Galvin on the advance guard before Lexington, I have to put my problems with Tourtellot down to his comparatively poor writing. Though I do recognise one of the biggest problems any historian has dealing with immensely detailed events is how to present it without turning it into hard-to-read sludge. Galvin has achieved this difficult task with masterly economy. Think I'm going to put his The Minute Men up there with some of the best histories I've read, military or otherwise.
Old 16 Aug 09, 22:36
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel John R. Elting

There are two books on the War of the Revolution, unfortunately now out of print, by the noted military historian John Elting that are noteworthy. Both are battle studies and are excellent, some of the best that I have ever read. The first is the Battle of Bunker's Hill and the other is the Battles of Saratoga. Both were printed by Phillip Freneau Press for the bicentennial of the Revolution and are worth looking for. I finally found copies and they are essential for the study of Bunker's Hill and the Saratoga Campaign.

They are not revisionist histories that came out at the same time by various authors and Col Elting dug deep to find much material and to dispel long-standing myths of Bunker's Hill and the Saratoga Campaign. Both are in the front rank of the literature on the War of the Revolution.

Sincerely,
M
Old 17 Aug 09, 02:39
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
There are two books on the War of the Revolution, unfortunately now out of print, by the noted military historian John Elting that are noteworthy. Both are battle studies and are excellent, some of the best that I have ever read. The first is the Battle of Bunker's Hill and the other is the Battles of Saratoga. Both were printed by Phillip Freneau Press for the bicentennial of the Revolution and are worth looking for. I finally found copies and they are essential for the study of Bunker's Hill and the Saratoga Campaign.

They are not revisionist histories that came out at the same time by various authors and Col Elting dug deep to find much material and to dispel long-standing myths of Bunker's Hill and the Saratoga Campaign. Both are in the front rank of the literature on the War of the Revolution.

Sincerely,
M
Massena,
i have the Elting on Bunker Hill on my list to get. Nearly bought it the week before last but ended up ordering a collection of docs on Lexington Concord, 2 vols of Naval Documents in American Revolution and Robert Harvey's A Few Bloody Noses? instead - all yet to arrive - 4 other books for price of one. But will bite the bullet.
Currently dipping into Fleming's Now we are Enemies.
Old 04 Sep 09, 10:46
Staff Sergeant
Canada

tank brigade is on the path to success [1-99] tank brigade is on the path to success [1-99]
"George Washington and the American revolution" by Burke Davis, published in US and Canada by Random House, excellent educational reading
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Sep 09, 13:26
Private
United_States

Hawkeyeted is on the path to success [1-99]
Just finished Benedict Arnold's Navy.

Starting Saratoga by Richard Ketchum. I've had this book for about a year and wondering why I hadn't read it earlier.

"There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who can't."
Old 29 Sep 09, 21:22
Private
United_States

DanielK is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
For what it is worth, I believe "Conceived in Liberty" by Murray Rothbard, is an excellent 4 volume work, that goes into great detail about the foundation of this Republic, as well as the war itself.
i will definitely have to check this out, sounds like a good read.
Old 13 Oct 09, 01:59
Staff Sergeant
Australia

Now reading Barbara Tuchman's The First Salute.
Old 02 Nov 09, 20:19
Corporal
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

BasicGreatGuy is on the path to success [1-99]
1776: Year of Illusions - Thomas Fleming (1975) is a very good book.
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
Old 02 Nov 09, 20:51
Corporal
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

BasicGreatGuy is on the path to success [1-99]
"Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Intellectual Origins of the Constitution" - Forrest McDonald In my opinion, this book is a must have.
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!