StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 17 Jun 04, 00:12
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I have never seen the book you mention, but I've heard him frequently quoted on shows I've seen about the period. Wasn't he in service for the entire war?
He was an early recruit, joining just before the disastrous New York Campaign, I believe. I know he lived into his nineties. This was mentioned in one of the mini series they had about the AmRev.
Old 20 Jun 04, 16:49
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99] Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99]
This message is from the other post, but two great books that I found are:

The Winter Soldiers - by Richard M. Ketchum (The battles for Trenton & Princeton)

A History of the American Revolution - by John R. Alden
Old 20 Jun 04, 23:12
Lance Corporal
United_States

NapoleonRocks is a balanced individual [0]
The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara
Old 21 Jun 04, 09:40
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99]
Re: rev war books

Quote:
Originally posted by dougkl
I can recommend these Washington's War by Robert Leckie
covers the entire war.
Two books by richard Ketchum Decisive Day (Bunker Hill), and
The Winter Soldiers ( The Battles for Trenton and Princeton)

The War for America 1775-1783 by Piers Mackesy.

Voices of 1776 by Richard Wheeler covers the whole war made up of letters and memoirs from statesmen to enlisted men both
rebels and redcoats.

The Fire of Liberty edited by Esmond Wright another comilation of memoirs and letters.

The excellent Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by
W. J. Wood covers ten major engagements each one is an individual chapter.

If you have a naval interest The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman, and Rebels Under Sail by William M. Fowler.

These should keep you busy for a while.
FYI, Richard Ketcham also wrote Saratoga
Old 22 Jun 04, 18:05
Major
United_States

w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100] w john spurrell has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The classics by Kenneth Roberts, Arundel, Lydia Bailey, Oliver Wiswell, Rabble in Arms, et.al. are great historical novels of the Revolutionary War. They are factually accurate and written with the style of a great writer. You could do far worse.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Jun 04, 10:46
Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Mike Duffy is on the path to success [1-99]
I think most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are a few not listed yet:

A New Age Now Begins by Page Smith. 2 vol. Huge and encyclopedic but extremely readable and well written.

Rebels and Redcoats by Scheer and Rankin and Spirit of '76 by Henry Cammanger Steele (I think). Best for long passages from sontemporary sources

Redcoats and Rebels by Christopher Hibbert. The British story.

Battles of the American Revolution by Col. Henry Carrington. Written about 125 years ago, Carrington's work is still the best study of the strictly military aspects of the war.
Old 29 Jun 04, 02:01
Corporal
United_States

Jason C. is a balanced individual [0]
Both of Shaara's books on the Revolotion are great, he is probably the best historical writer out there, the Glourios Cause is a bit more "action packed" i think though. If you are interest he has a book called Gone for Soldiers (the only one i havent read) which is about the Mexican War if im not mistaken.
Old 29 Jun 04, 12:17
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason C.
Both of Shaara's books on the Revolotion are great, he is probably the best historical writer out there, the Glourios Cause is a bit more "action packed" i think though. If you are interest he has a book called Gone for Soldiers (the only one i havent read) which is about the Mexican War if im not mistaken.
I believe that, although it sounds oxymoronic, Shaara is best classified as a historical fiction author, as his research doesn't go nearly as deep as a Sears or Cozzens in the ACW, or a Fischer or Ketcham in the ARW.
Old 10 Jul 04, 08:14
Private First Class
United_States

abradley is a balanced individual [0]
I like Kenneth Roberts' books on colonial and post colonial New England.

The two dealing with the Revolutionary War are

Oliver Wiswell for the Tory view.
And
Rabble in Arms for the Rebs view.
Old 10 Jul 04, 10:26
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I just finished Robert Leckie's "A Few Acres of Snow" (French & Indian War) and am now reading "George Washington's War" by the same author.

I think Leckie's work needs a disclaimer, though. I really like his punchy, colorful writing style; it reminds me of S. L. A. Marshall in a way. But Leckie is unabashedly biased, and I take his facts with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, his books are a good read. They really bring events to life.

After reading "America's Wars" years ago, I was eager to read Leckie's "None Died in Vain" (on the Civil War)--but the latter was a big disappointment to me. I knew enough about the CW to see that Leckie got some things wrong. I don't know nearly as much about America's other wars, though, so I'm able to just suspend my disbelief and enjoy the read.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)
Old 07 Oct 04, 03:19
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Ketchum's "Saratoga" is a great book I recently read.

Also, "Paul Revere and the World He Lived In" by Esther Forbes is very good.

Some of my favorite historical fiction:

"April Morning" by Howard Fast

"The Hessian" by Howard Fast

"The Unvanquished" by Howard Fast

"The Crossing" by Howard Fast

"The Spy" by James Fenimore Cooper
Old 07 Oct 04, 10:23
General of the Forums
EU

Full Monty has disabled reputation
'The American Revolution' by Edward Countryman was the standard text whilst I was at university (mid-nineties)
Old 07 Oct 04, 11:38
Private First Class
United_States

St Just is on the path to success [1-99]
Christopher Ward's 2 volume The War of the Revolution would be top of my list.

In fiction, I really enjoyed Redcoat, by Bernard Cornwell.

Arundel, by Kenneth Roberts was the first historical fiction book I ever read, back in my teens. A sentimental favorite, and a challenge to read, given the subsequent career of the book's hero, Benedict Arnold.

A book I'd like to see would be a good military bio of Nathaniel Greene. It's too bad he's not better known. He seems to have been a very tenacious fighter, and largely responsible for the ultimate victory at Yorktown.

Thanks to all the posters for some great recommendations.
Old 08 Oct 04, 23:10
Corporal
United_States

dougkl is on the path to success [1-99]
Revolutionary war books

"Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781" by W. J. Wood is another good history of all the major actions.
Old 13 Sep 05, 11:03
General
United_States

Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400]
Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400] Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400] Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400] Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400] Reiryc has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougkl
"Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781" by W. J. Wood is another good history of all the major actions.
I have to agree with this one... I thought it was a good read with interesting analysis of the battles.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!