StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 17 May 04, 09:29
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Post Books: Best Books on The American Revolution

There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 May 04, 15:52
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Fenrir is a balanced individual [0]
Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Quote:
Originally posted by Janos
There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS
Although I've read the ACW books by John and Jeff Shaara, I have yet to read the series that takes place during the revolution.

has anyone read them? I assume they are of the qulity of his/thier other books.
Old 21 May 04, 19:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Re: Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir
Although I've read the ACW books by John and Jeff Shaara, I have yet to read the series that takes place during the revolution.

has anyone read them? I assume they are of the qulity of his/thier other books.
I didn't know that the Shaara's had any books set in the Revolutionary period.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 26 May 04, 13:27
First Sergeant
United_States

Fenrir is a balanced individual [0]
Re: Re: Re: BEST BOOKS - American Revolution

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I didn't know that the Shaara's had any books set in the Revolutionary period.
They are called "Rise to Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause".

Also, there is "Gone for Soldiers" and it take place during the Mexican-American War....and it kicks butt!
Old 30 May 04, 20:13
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
David Hackett Fischer is an excellent historian who has written two excellent books on the American Revolution. Paul Revere's Ride is about the events leading up to April 19, 1775 and the battle of Lexington and Concord. His newest book is Washington's Crossing and is about the forging of the American Army, and the battles of Trenton and Princeton.

One can not truly understand the Revolution without a firm grasp of the Seven Years' War in North America. The best book on that subject is Crucible of War by Fred Anderson.
Old 30 May 04, 21:14
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally posted by HiredGoon
David Hackett Fischer is an excellent historian who has written two excellent books on the American Revolution. Paul Revere's Ride is about the events leading up to April 19, 1775 and the battle of Lexington and Concord. His newest book is Washington's Crossing and is about the forging of the American Army, and the battles of Trenton and Princeton.

One can not truly understand the Revolution without a firm grasp of the Seven Years' War in North America. The best book on that subject is Crucible of War by Fred Anderson.
I just bought Washington's Crossing based on the CSPAN2 talk I saw.
Old 03 Jun 04, 23:39
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
I would recommend Private Yankee Doodle by Joseph Plumb Martin. Only first person account I know of by a line soldier in the revolution. Gives a good sense of the experience of being on the line in the revolution.
Old 09 Jun 04, 18:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Revolutionary War Reading List? Help!

Hello,

I don't know if I've come to the right place.

I would like anybody here who's very knowledgable on the subject of Revolutionary War (1776 to 1783) to provide a list of suggested books to read on.

I prefer to focus on the military campaigns and how the warfare was practiced during that time. For example, I've found a good book on the battle of Cowpens, an important, but often overlooked battle in the South (I think in North Carolina) that describes how both American and British Regulars fought. I liked that book, I think it was written by Bobbits (no pun intended )or something like that.

I've noticed that the books on Revolutionary War are very to come by except for biographies of certain famous people like George Washington or Benjamin Franklin.

I would also like to find some good books from the British perspective. I would like to know how the British Empire felt about losing her most precious colonial possessions to a band of ragtag American Regulars and Militamen led by a general with a mixed track record...

Thanks in advance.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 09 Jun 04, 18:09
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Storm is on the path to success [1-99]
Ragtag you say? Rubbish.
Old 09 Jun 04, 18:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Ragtag you say? Rubbish.
And I said from the British perspective...I don't think some British troops had a huge amount of respect for the American Regulars and Militiamen despite the training they received...

Now, do you have some good books to recommend or not?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Jun 04, 19:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99] Tom DeFranco is on the path to success [1-99]
There are the Richard Ketcham books which focused on Bunker Hill ("Decisive Day"), "Saratoga", and the Winter of 1776 ("Winter Soldiers", I believe is the title). There is the recent "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer. There was a book with co-authors (whose names I forgot), "Rebels and Redcoats". There was another recent book about women who participated in the fighting. There was another book by Joseph Plumb Martin who was a Continental Soldier and lived into his nineties. There are several books by Osprey. They have Campaign Series books about Boston 1775 (which includes Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, and the siege of Boston), Saratoga 1777, Guilford Courthouse 1781, Quebec 1775, and most recently Monmouth Courthouse 1778. This series is marked by excellent maps, cartoonish drawings and text of varying quality (different authors, throughout the series). Usually, they are good thumbnail sketches of a battle or campaign.
Old 09 Jun 04, 22:48
Corporal
United_States

dougkl is on the path to success [1-99]
rev war books

I can recommend these Washington's War by Robert Leckie
covers the entire war.
Two books by richard Ketchum Decisive Day (Bunker Hill), and
The Winter Soldiers ( The Battles for Trenton and Princeton)

The War for America 1775-1783 by Piers Mackesy.

Voices of 1776 by Richard Wheeler covers the whole war made up of letters and memoirs from statesmen to enlisted men both
rebels and redcoats.

The Fire of Liberty edited by Esmond Wright another comilation of memoirs and letters.

The excellent Battles of the Revolutionary War 1775-1781 by
W. J. Wood covers ten major engagements each one is an individual chapter.

If you have a naval interest The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman, and Rebels Under Sail by William M. Fowler.

These should keep you busy for a while.
Old 14 Jun 04, 21:27
Lance Corporal
United_States

NapoleonRocks is a balanced individual [0]
I'm reading The Glorious Cause now. great book
Old 15 Jun 04, 23:04
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99] Dann Falk is on the path to success [1-99]
Two great books that I found are:

The Winter Soldiers - by Richard M. Ketchum (The battles for Trenton & Princeton)

A History of the American Revolution - by John R. Alden
Old 16 Jun 04, 18:56
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally posted by JSMoss
I would recommend Private Yankee Doodle by Joseph Plumb Martin. Only first person account I know of by a line soldier in the revolution. Gives a good sense of the experience of being on the line in the revolution.
I have never seen the book you mention, but I've heard him frequently quoted on shows I've seen about the period. Wasn't he in service for the entire war?

Peace through superior firepower.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!