StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 16 Jun 12, 22:35
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Son of a B----! I thought this might go for a couple of days. Frederick, you are absolutely right, with one minor exception.

The star of the film is Clark Gable who, as a Captain in the USAAF during the Second World War, flew five combat missions over Europe including one over Germany. He was the Captain I was thinking of who plays a General.

However I've always like Brian Donlevy in war films because he played such a good military man. For some reason I always think of him playing a Marine, although he only did this once, in Wake Island.

All this to say, well played Sir, well played! You're Up!

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 16 Jun 12, 23:24
Sergeant Major
United_States

Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Clark Gable.....He was the Captain I was thinking of who plays a General.

All this to say, well played Sir, well played! You're Up!
Dan, once again I really didn't fulfill ALL of the requirements. I knew that about Gable, but that was "real-life". I thought what you were looking for was a movie connection. Again, I will reluctantly accept your ruling. But, first I need to fix a sandwich for supper. "I'll be back"!

*Gable and Donlevy both played a Brigadier General. Pidgeon, as a Major General, outranked both. It's....curious.

Last edited by Udorn432; 16 Jun 12 at 23:30..
Old 17 Jun 12, 16:08
Sergeant Major
United_States

Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99]
Clue: In a previous movie a Great Ruler sends his army to pursue his nemesis. It is military disaster! In this movie this same Great Ruler (now a Captain) allies himself with his former nemesis (who is now a Major General) to fight a common enemy. Together, they gain a thoroughly decisive military victory over a vastly superior force. This victory ends a war.

* In this movie, The Great Ruler and the Captain are the same actor. The "nemesis" and the Major General are the same actor.

Last edited by Udorn432; 17 Jun 12 at 16:23..
Old 18 Jun 12, 21:08
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udorn432 View Post
Clue: In a previous movie a Great Ruler sends his army to pursue his nemesis. It is military disaster! In this movie this same Great Ruler (now a Captain) allies himself with his former nemesis (who is now a Major General) to fight a common enemy. Together, they gain a thoroughly decisive military victory over a vastly superior force. This victory ends a war.

* In this movie, The Great Ruler and the Captain are the same actor. The "nemesis" and the Major General are the same actor.
Again Frederick, amazing clues on this one. It took me a while to place all the pieces together. You put some effort into this and it shows.

At first I thought the Great Ruler was meant to describe Ronald Reagan, but that went nowhere. And I couldn't think of a film with an Army Captain interacting with a Major General. Then it came to me, what if the Captain was a naval officer?

The antecedent film is The Ten Commandments (1956) by Cecil B DeMille. It starred Yul Brynner as the Pharaoh (or Great Ruler) and Charlton Heston as Moses, the Pharaoh's nemesis. The Pharaoh sends his army in pursuit of the Israelites, Moses parts the Red Sea, the Army drowns (a military disaster), etc, etc, we all know the story.

The film in question is The Buccaneers (1958) which was also made by Cecil B DeMille. Yul Brynner plays Jean LaFitte (a Captain) who allies with Charlton Heston as Major General Andrew Jackson to defeat the British Army (the common enemy) at New Orleans to end the War of 1812.

Funny thing is, I've never seen either film.

Last edited by Dan M; 18 Jun 12 at 21:13..
Old 18 Jun 12, 22:19
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Frederick and Dan - brilliant work!
Old 18 Jun 12, 23:20
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
The antecedent film is The Ten Commandments (1956) by Cecil B DeMille. It starred Yul Brynner as the Pharaoh (or Great Ruler) and Charlton Heston as Moses, the Pharaoh's nemesis.

The film in question is The Buccaneers (1958) which was also made by Cecil B DeMille. Yul Brynner plays Jean LaFitte (a Captain) who allies with Charlton Heston as Major General Andrew Jackson to defeat the British Army (the common enemy)
Dan, you got it perfectly! Now, I have a bit of trivia for you:

"The Buccaneer" (1958) is a remake of the DeMille original (1938) and was directed by Anthony Quinn. That is why I edited my post and included the addendum at the bottom. In DeMille's original Frederic March played Lafitte and Hugh Sothern (?) played Gen. Jackson. I didn't want there to be any confusion with regard to which version.

You're up!
Old 18 Jun 12, 23:25
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmoviebuff View Post
Frederick and Dan - brilliant work!
Hi, Kevin. Thanks! I'm surprised that you didn't get in on this since it was a war movie.
Old 19 Jun 12, 08:46
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udorn432 View Post
Hi, Kevin. Thanks! I'm surprised that you didn't get in on this since it was a war movie.
I am ashamed to admit as a Louisianian I have not seen "The Buccaneer". I will now watch and review it, thanx.
Old 19 Jun 12, 17:07
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
I am ashamed to admit as a Louisianian I have not seen "The Buccaneer".
I think you'd be doing the right thing, Kevin. I really didn't want to go to the trouble of writing a letter to Gov. Jindal to tell him that a certain member of the Bayou State had not seen this movie. Since Dan is Canadian, he is exempt.

Fred
Old 20 Jun 12, 22:08
Colonel
Canada

Frederick and Kevin, thanks for the accolades.

I've been trying to come up with a clue good enough to equal Frederick's last, and it's been difficult. But I have to provide something, so here goes.

Clue: These two films, 17 years apart, continue the story but with different actors playing the two lead parts. In the first film the Gentleman Ranker is played by a master thief while in the second he's played by a man who's identity is never really discovered. In a similar vein the lead actor in the first film is played by the Nazi Doctor and in the second by Winston's dad.

Name the films and the actors.

Sponsored Links

Old 21 Jun 12, 08:23
United_States

Quote:
Frederick and Kevin, thanks for the accolades.

I've been trying to come up with a clue good enough to equal Frederick's last, and it's been difficult. But I have to provide something, so here goes.

Clue: These two films, 17 years apart, continue the story but with different actors playing the two lead parts. In the first film the Gentleman Ranker is played by a master thief while in the second he's played by a man who's identity is never really discovered. In a similar vein the lead actor in the first film is played by the Nazi Doctor and in the second by Winston's dad.

Excellent clues. I had to use IMDB. Started with Winston's dad --> Young Winston --> Robert Shaw plays Lord Randolph --> Force 10 from Navarone is sequel to --> Guns of Navarone (1978-1961 = 17) --> Gregory Peck (Nazi doctor in "Boys from Brazil") --> Peck's co-lead was David Niven --> master thief? The Pink Panther --> a man who's identity is never really discovered? has to be Harrison Ford because he was the equivalent of Niven but the movie stumps me unless its "Blade Runner" because there is a theory that Deckard is a replicant himself
Old 21 Jun 12, 08:55
Colonel
Canada

Quote:
Excellent clues. I had to use IMDB. Started with Winston's dad --> Young Winston --> Robert Shaw plays Lord Randolph --> Force 10 from Navarone is sequel to --> Guns of Navarone (1978-1961 = 17) --> Gregory Peck (Nazi doctor in "Boys from Brazil") --> Peck's co-lead was David Niven --> master thief? The Pink Panther --> a man who's identity is never really discovered? has to be Harrison Ford because he was the equivalent of Niven but the movie stumps me unless its "Blade Runner" because there is a theory that Deckard is a replicant himself
Kevin you are sooooooo close, but no cigar. You have 5 out of 6: the correct film titles, the correct actors for Captain, then Major, Keith Mallory, but only one out of two for the second lead.

PS: Harrison Ford's (Rick Deckard) character is a replicant. It's clearer in the book.

Old 21 Jun 12, 13:58
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:

Well, Kevin and I were both working with the same movies and characters. David Niven's character, "Miller" (in the second movie) was the sticking point for me. So, let me try this:

First movie: "The Guns of Navarone" (1961) "Mallory" is played by Gregory Peck (Dr. Mengele, the the Nazi doctor in 1978's "The Boys From Brazil"). The character "Miller" is played by David Niven, the Gentleman-Ranker, a term I have never heard of, but means "a gentleman serving in the British army as an enlisted man" (who played a master thief in 1939's "Raffles").

Second movie:"Force 10 From Navarone"(1978 - 17 years after the first movie) stars Robert Shaw (Lord Randolph Churchill - Winston's dad in 1972's "Young Winston") as "Mallory". The character "Miller" is played this time by Edward Fox (who played "M" - the man whose identity is never really discovered) in the James Bond movie "Never Say Never Again" (1983). This was Sean Connery's last time as James Bond, and the only time that Fox played "M". Bernard Lee played "M" in every James Bond movie from "Dr. No (1962) to "Moonraker" (1979).

I know that you're looking for "actors playing the two lead parts". I went with the two characters who were in both - "Mallory" and "Miller". If my answer is incorrect, then I will simply retreat, re-group and attack at a later date with overwhelming force!

Last edited by Udorn432; 21 Jun 12 at 14:09..
Old 21 Jun 12, 14:02
United_States

I give up. Someone else can bring it home.
Old 21 Jun 12, 18:30
Colonel
Canada

Don't give up guys. You've got it all.

Kevin was right on 5 out of 6. He missed out on the Miller to Miller character. Frederick got that part. Kevin got that the 'master thief' was the Pink Panther role. I didn't know about Raffles.

Edward Fox did play M in Connery's last Bond film, which was made independently of Albert Broccoli and the rest of the Bond series. But Fox was the man who's identity is never really discovered in The Day of the Jackal (the original not the remake with Bruce Willis and Richard Gere).

Corporal Miller, Captain Mallory and Colonel Andrea

(Seated) Major Mallory and Corporal Miller

I'm going to flip a coin here. Kevin, you haven't given us a clue in a while, so why don't you take this one? You guys are getting harder and harder to puzzle with.

Cheers,
Dan.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!