StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 11 Jun 12, 21:25
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Wow. This was a brain buster. I even dreamed about the clues one night trying to figure this out. The clues were excellent by the way, and deceptive.

Jerome K = Jerome Kern was a dead end.

Wyatt = Wyatt Earp was a dead end.

Billy = Billy the Kid was a dead end.

Wyatt's BFF = Doc Holliday was a dead end.

An aircraft flying anti-government propaganda? I had never heard of a film with this plot.

Ozzie = Ozzie Nelson was a dead end. Looking up films for Ozzie Osbourne was bloody frightening, and of no help.

It wasn't until you revealed Jerome K's real identity that I was able to get it. And it still took me an hour to track it down.

The American Way with Michael J Pollard (Jerome Krebs from The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis) and Dennis Hopper (Billy from Easy Rider who was the best friend of Wyatt played by Peter Fonda). A special appearance by Ozzie Osbourne as himself.

Congrats Frederick. This one really took some work.

Couldn't even find a photo of the cast.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 12 Jun 12, 01:26
Sergeant Major
United_States

Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Wow. This was a brain buster. I even dreamed about the clues one night trying to figure this out. The clues were excellent by the way, and deceptive.

Jerome K = Jerome Kern was a dead end.

Wyatt = Wyatt Earp was a dead end.

Billy = Billy the Kid was a dead end.

Wyatt's BFF = Doc Holliday was a dead end.

An aircraft flying anti-government propaganda? I had never heard of a film with this plot.

Ozzie = Ozzie Nelson was a dead end. Looking up films for Ozzie Osbourne was bloody frightening, and of no help.

It wasn't until you revealed Jerome K's real identity that I was able to get it. And it still took me an hour to track it down.

The American Way with Michael J Pollard (Jerome Krebs from The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis) and Dennis Hopper (Billy from Easy Rider who was the best friend of Wyatt played by Peter Fonda). A special appearance by Ozzie Osbourne as himself.

Congrats Frederick. This one really took some work.
Thanks, Dan. I worked hard to come up with it. It's an obscure movie to be sure. Honestly speaking, I would have given up and passed, but I know how good you are. So, I had to turn on the "cloaking device" and carefully choose my clues. I was hoping to stump everyone for at least one turn.

I saw this movie on Cinemax when it first came out in 1986 and taped it (I now have it on DVD - an Australian import). The movie's US name, and the one that I know it by is "Riders of the Storm". If you get the chance, you need to see this movie. It's great (as is anything that Dennis Hopper is in). It's hilarious, has great political satire and has a killer soundtrack:

"The Star-Spangled Banner" and "Purple Haze" - Hendrix
"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who
"Layla" - Derek and the Dominoes
"Go To Hell" - Alice Cooper

Just to name a few. Anyway, it's one of those obscure gems (I'd put it in the "cult" category). I laughed when you said that you even dreamed about it. Well, give me an "attaboy" and my rightful Florida Lottery winnings! Now, I need to congratulate you for solving this.

YOU ARE NOW IN CONTROL OF THE HORIZONTAL AND THE VERTICAL!

* The cover of the Australian import pictures a B-52 instead of a B-29 (?).

Last edited by Udorn432; 12 Jun 12 at 01:32..
Old 12 Jun 12, 20:28
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
One 'attaboy' to you Frederick, and yes anything with Dennis Hopper in it was better for him being there.

Now that I've had 24 hours to recover, let's go again.

Clue: These two films about the Second World War were filmed 5 years apart, but contain similar scenes of a horribly disfigured soldier being visited by a comrade in the hospital. One (Duco) was an American and the other (Bittrich) was a German. Name the two films and the two wounded soldiers. Bonus points if the actors playing the visiting soldiers can be named.

Old 13 Jun 12, 00:01
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
One 'attaboy' to you Frederick, and yes anything with Dennis Hopper in it was better for him being there.

Now that I've had 24 hours to recover, let's go again.

Clue: These two films about the Second World War were filmed 5 years apart, but contain similar scenes of a horribly disfigured soldier being visited by a comrade in the hospital. One (Duco) was an American and the other (Bittrich) was a German. Name the two films and the two wounded soldiers. Bonus points if the actors playing the visiting soldiers can be named.
1. The Victors with Eli Wallach visited by George Peppard.

2. The Young Lions with Maximillian Schell visited by Marlon Brando.

Homer

BoRG
Old 13 Jun 12, 08:47
Colonel
Canada

Wow Chuck. You nailed all of it. I thought this would take at least a day to figure out. You're up next my friend.

Eli Wallach

Maximillian Schell and Marlon Brando

Sponsored Links

Old 13 Jun 12, 12:54
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Thanks.

The Victors is one of my favorite movies but it's really hard to find.

Dan you can pick the next clue.

Homer

BoRG
Old 13 Jun 12, 14:51
Colonel
Canada

Thanks. I think I'll return to Westerns.

Clue: The Brigadier General is looking for one in a thousand.

Old 14 Jun 12, 20:48
Colonel
Canada

Okay, to make it easier for everyone.

Clue: The one-in-a-thousand is a perfect version of "the ----- that won the West."

Old 14 Jun 12, 21:05
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Needed the extra clue, thanx.

The movie is one of my favorites - Winchester 73 starring Brigadier Gen. Jimmy Stewart. Awesome performance by Dan Duryea.

Next clue: Just like in the western, only three survive and one of them is bald.
Old 15 Jun 12, 20:17
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmoviebuff View Post
Needed the extra clue, thanx.

The movie is one of my favorites - Winchester 73 starring Brigadier Gen. Jimmy Stewart. Awesome performance by Dan Duryea.

Next clue: Just like in the western, only three survive and one of them is bald.
Additional clue: They actually were ronin.
Old 15 Jun 12, 20:57
Colonel
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmoviebuff View Post
Additional clue: They actually were ronin.
This was a brain buster as well, good clue though, but I wasn't even close until you gave it away with the second clue.

From the friendly people who brought you World War Two and Godzirra: The Seven Samurai starring the great Toshiro Mifune.

Seven Ronin (one bald)

Old 15 Jun 12, 23:46
United_States

Dan I know you like Westerns (as do I) and I insist on only doing war films, so I tried to link them.

Interesting tidbit: Kambei (the Yul Bryner character) rubs his bald head when he is thinking which Lucas paid homage to by having Yoda do it in The Empire Strikes Back

Europe
Old 16 Jun 12, 14:33
Sergeant Major
United_States

Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99] Udorn432 is on the path to success [1-99]
Good afernoon, Kevin. You and Dan have left me "in the dust". But, I'm still a struggling participant in this thread. I'm waiting for Dan's next clue.
Old 16 Jun 12, 16:13
Colonel
Canada

War films, eh? Okay, okay, but I can't guarantee that this will last.

Clue: The Captain plays a General who serves under the Pidgeon all the while using a Van.

Old 16 Jun 12, 21:05
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Clue: The Captain plays a General who serves under the Pidgeon all the while using a Van.
The movie is "Command Decision" (1948) with Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson and Brian Donlevy. This is a WW II movie concerning 8th Air Forces in England that conduct bombing raids into Germany.

Donlevy played Captain Mercer in "I Wanted Wings" (1941)(WW II movie) who plays Brig. Gen. Clifton I. Garnet in this movie. Walter Pidgeon plays Maj. Gen. Roland Goodlow Kane in this movie. Van Johnson plays Tech. Sgt. Immanuel T. Evans in this movie.

Donlevy also played Captain Dempster in "Slaughter Trail" (1951), a Western.

Donlevy also played Captain Dan Taggart in "A Cry in The Night" (1956) a Crime Drama.

Last edited by Udorn432; 16 Jun 12 at 22:24..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!