StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 06 Dec 17, 06:02
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
I don't know if Lee's tactics were old, but they WERE effective. He lost because Grant had more men, more food, more ammo, and more HORSES haha. Seriously, Lee lost because he didn't have the material to sustain a war effort.

Plus Chancellorsville.

He lost W. Virginia but who cares? Some of that had to do with Lee's administration, not his tactical ability.
All the reasons you cite for Lee losing to Grant were true with every Union commander who came before him as well. That being the case, it must also have something, actually a lot, to do with Grants ability as well.

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Last edited by D1J1; 06 Dec 17 at 06:08.. Reason: Add quote
Old 06 Dec 17, 10:11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post
I don't know if Lee's tactics were old, but they WERE effective. He lost because Grant had more men, more food, more ammo, and more HORSES haha. Seriously, Lee lost because he didn't have the material to sustain a war effort.

Plus Chancellorsville.

He lost W. Virginia but who cares? Some of that had to do with Lee's administration, not his tactical ability.
What do you mean, "plus Chancellorsville"? Are you saying that battle is one of the reasons Lee lost?
"A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant
Old 06 Dec 17, 14:27
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1J1 View Post
All the reasons you cite for Lee losing to Grant were true with every Union commander who came before him as well. That being the case, it must also have something, actually a lot, to do with Grants ability as well.

Regards,
Dennis
Sure, the difference between Grant and former commanders is that he had the balls to use the Northern war machine. It cost him, bigtime. Cold Harbor is only the most prominent example.
Other commanders were either replaced after losing a battle, or didn't have it in them to start a war of attrition.

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"
Old 06 Dec 17, 14:28
Colonel
United_States

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny87kz View Post
What do you mean, "plus Chancellorsville"? Are you saying that battle is one of the reasons Lee lost?
I'm saying it's an example of his tactics being effective.

Old 06 Dec 17, 19:46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
I say it's an example of luck. If Hooker would not have been immobilized for whatever reason, Lee dividing his army in the face of a superior enemy would have been catastrophic.
"A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant
Old 06 Dec 17, 20:09
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Plus Chancellorsville.
Yes, as a wargamer, there are many ACW strategic-level wargames around and they've all got one thing in common- the Union player will always win because the North has more of everything!
I'd have thought the Southern politicians would have done their sums before starting the war, that way they'd never have started it knowing it was unwinnable because they couldn't beat the maths!
No doubt they announced Secession and were keeping their fingers crossed hoping the North would let them get away with it without a shot being fired.
As it was, they gambled and lost..
Old 07 Dec 17, 03:01
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
I say it's an example of luck. If Hooker would not have been immobilized for whatever reason, Lee dividing his army in the face of a superior enemy would have been catastrophic.
If...

It would have been interesting if Hooker advanced against Lee's two divisions. Sure they might have retreated, but Hooker would've discoverd Jackson in his rear.

Old 07 Dec 17, 04:26
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Well I'm not really enough of an expert on chancellorsville to get into what ifs, but my impression is that Hooker's delay allowed time for Jackson to make his march. Hooker should have attacked on the morning of May 2. This would not have allowed Jackson to make his march.
Old 07 Dec 17, 14:07
Major
United_States

Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Actually if old Joe Hooker hadn't retreated the day he did Lee was about to destroy his own army....

I mean he was planning on attacking Hooker the next day LLMAO.... would have been a bloodbath along the lines of Franklin
Old 07 Dec 17, 16:36
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Well I'm not really enough of an expert on chancellorsville to get into what ifs, but my impression is that Hooker's delay allowed time for Jackson to make his march. Hooker should have attacked on the morning of May 2. This would not have allowed Jackson to make his march.
I mean maybe. A lot of things could've happened, and Lee could've devised some tactic to win even if Hooker attacked.

Sponsored Links

Old 07 Dec 17, 16:37
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire66 View Post
Actually if old Joe Hooker hadn't retreated the day he did Lee was about to destroy his own army....

I mean he was planning on attacking Hooker the next day LLMAO.... would have been a bloodbath along the lines of Franklin
What do you mean he was planning to attack Hooker the next day?

Old 07 Dec 17, 17:12
Major
United_States

Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Legionnaire66 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
What do you mean he was planning to attack Hooker the next day?
Lee was planning on attacking Hooker's 70,000 man beachhead the day after the night he withdrew (May 6-7?). Hooker's retreat beat him to the punch.

If Lee would have attacked Hookers final position he would have been SLAUGHTERED. Like cold harbor slaughtered. He was lucky Hooker didn't give him a chance to destroy himself.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!