StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Welcomes You! > World History Group Magazines > American History Magazine

Notices and Announcements

American History Magazine Discuss magazine articles and issues here.

Old 13 Aug 16, 14:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Something else I just found about my great-grandfather's farm. My grandfather would have been almost 13 at the time, in July 1914.

1914 Severe Storm: Desire Dubuque Jr's home.
· 6 April 2016 · 0 Comments
source: genealgoybank.com; Thursday, July 30, 1914 Paper: St. Albans Messenger (St. Albans, Vermont) Page: 2 Piece: Two of Two.

Storm Damage in Grand Isle County. Devastation wrought by the severe rain and wind storm in North Hero was even greater than at first believed.
All the rail fences on the farm of Desire Dubuque Jr, were blown along the lake shore, and Mr Dubuque's house was flooded with water, driven in through doors and windows.
Trains were stalled by immense trees that feel across that track and the tops of three freight cars were blown off.
It was the most severe wind storm in that section in 18 years.
Old 13 Aug 16, 16:00
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
One of my co-workers has been very depressed for months because he has to liquidate his family farm in Vermont which has been in the family for about 200 years.
Sad.
Old 09 Feb 17, 09:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
From The Boston Language Institute : The Bilingual US: French Vermont

https://bostonlanguage.wordpress.com...rench-vermont/

excerpt

The first European explorers to discover Vermont were in fact French: Jacques Cartier is thought to have set foot in Vermont in 1535 while Samuel de Champlain visited the area he named les Verts Monts (The Green Mountains) in 1609 and would thereafter give his name to the state’s important lake. The construction of Fort Sainte Anne on Isle La Motte in Lake Champlain- the first European settlement in Vermont- signaled France’s claim to the area.

Southern Vermont, meanwhile, saw settlement from the neighboring British colonies of New York and Massachusetts. The area remained a disputed territory until the 1763 Treaty of Paris following the French and Indian War ceded control to the British, who decided to allow settlement only in Southern Vermont, leaving Northern Vermont to the Indians. A cultural distinction between North and South remains to this day.

Vermont, whose population center, Burlington, lies only 45 miles from the Canadian border, is simply the closest state to Quebec, and so early Canadian immigrants often stopped their journey here. Between 1840 and 1930 900,000 French-Canadians immigrated to the United States. In 1860, 44% (16,580 people) of the immigrants from Quebec to the six New England states had chosen to remain in Vermont, although industrialization later caused immigrants to prefer the factory towns of Southern New England over the agricultural jobs generally found in Vermont.
Old 09 Feb 17, 15:50
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Stephen W. Meader published lots of good books on early pioneer life in North America.
His style was up beat and full of adventure about young men On the farm, portable saw mills, trapping and such.
I've Read Trap Line's North & Red Horse Hill.
If I recall the latter was about a portable saw mill gang w/horses and their travels throughout New England.
If you haven't read it already I'd highly recommend reading this one & others by Stephen W. Meader.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...Red_Horse_Hill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_W._Meader
Old 26 Feb 17, 14:08
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
Stephen W. Meader published lots of good books on early pioneer life in North America.
His style was up beat and full of adventure about young men On the farm, portable saw mills, trapping and such.
I've Read Trap Line's North & Lumberjack.
If I recall the latter was about a portable saw mill gang w/horses and their travels throughout New England.
If you haven't read it already I'd highly recommend reading this one & others by Stephen W. Meader.
[http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4871307-lumberjack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_W._Meader
My bad I read this some years ago in 1975-6... Sorry for the mistake the story of the Lumberjacks w/portable saw mill belongs to Lumberjack not Red Horse Hill.
Old 22 Apr 17, 09:31
General of the Forums
United_States

A video I found, taken on the shore within a few hundred feet of my grandparents house. Time-lapse sunset over the New York shore. Maybe even from what was my grandparents, as that or the adjacent lot would be the first easily accessible shoreline (not on a cliff). Taken by Paul Rude.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 22 Apr 17 at 10:10..
Old 22 Apr 17, 09:41
General of the Forums
United_States

From the same videographer (Paul Rude) - I am 90% sure this is from the shore of the northern edge of my great-grandparents farm - because of the road safety barrier you can see, and the trees that are on the other side of the road, looking South. The sunset is more or less looking towards Plattsburgh.

I hope we can get the thumbnail photos back at some point, so the photos here and on thousands of other posts can be seen again.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 22 Apr 17 at 10:11..
Old 22 Apr 17, 09:57
General of the Forums
United_States

Edit: I received an email from the Lake Champlain Land Trust, about a Wildflower Hike there May 13.

latest brochures on Butternut Hill

http://www.lclt.org/butternut-hill/

excerpt

HISTORY

Butternut Hill Natural Area was conserved in 2012. Two North Hero, VT families, the Williams and the Keyes, worked alongside each other, the Lake Champlain Land Trust, and The Nature Conservancy of Vermont to conserve wildlife habitat and lakeshore along Lake Champlain.
Butternut Hill Natural Area combines conserved land from the Williams family, the Keyes family, and the Town of North Hero, protecting a spectacular, old floodplain forest, while providing public access to the forest and the lake via the trails starting at the Town of North Hero’s former Camp Ingalls land.

PARTNERS

Butternut Hill was conserved in partnership with the Nature Conservancy, the Town of North Hero, and the Lake Champlain Land Trust.

-----------------------

https://www.lclt.org/wp-content/uplo...HillGuide1.pdf

Last edited by lakechampainer; 22 Apr 17 at 10:22..
Old 22 Jun 17, 12:04
General of the Forums
United_States

Rare fish caught twice in twenty years - 29 year old Lake Sturgeon caught 19 years after being tagged in Lake Champlain link to stories and photos below

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...426777431.html
Old 30 Jun 17, 16:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Reposts of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
The first picture is a picture of my grandmother that my sister found recently. This was when she was in England in the period 1919 - 1920, having gone there from Ireland (Aughrim) to earn money for the trip to NYC where she had relatives. There is handwriting on the back that says "Sylvia aged 1 year 10 months Winnie aged 5 years. May Rose Kelley 19 years." My mother always mentioned London, so I assume the picture was taken in London.

My mother was named Sylvia after the little girl, because my grandmother loved her a lot. My grandmother's age of 19 confirms that it was in the 1919-1920 period.

I wonder how the lives of the two girls went. They theoretically could still be alive, in their 90s.

The second picture is a postcard that says in type at the top "North Hero Volunteer Fire Department, North Hero, Vt." In what I would say is 1950s type. My sister's boyfriend, who is an officer in a Fire Department in a Boston suburb, says that the truck is probably from the 40s, and was probably sold to the dept. after 15 or 20 years of use by a larger dep't. He says his department has sold trucks after 10 or 15 years to a volunteer dep't in Maine. On the back it says "Place one cent stamp here" and "Fairbanks Card Company, 14 High Street, Brookline, MA which is a coincidence, because Brookline is where they lived when they moved to Boston.

I am baffled as to the one cent stamp aspect, as as far as I can tell 1919 was the last time there were one cent post card rates.

My sister also found an US Army Pass ID card of my mother's from 1943. I (i.e. my son) wasn't able to transfer the picture, as it had too much data, a problem I have had on other pictures. My mother told me she had done volunteer air defense work during the war; I wish I had asked her more about it.
EDIT: My son got the ID card picture in by reducing the size of the file (granularity)
The card says:

U. S ARMY PASS No. A 52907
FIRST FIGHTER COMMAND

Region Boston SEP 2 1943
Name Sylvia L. Dubuque
Designation Boston Information Center
Age 18 Weight 108 Height 5' 3"
Color of Hair brown Color of Eyes blue

then my mother's signature

then it says
This Card Must Be Presented When Entering Premises or Whenever Requested At Other Times - Under No Circumstances Shall This Card Be Used By Any Person Other Than The One To Whom It Is Issued.

then it says:

COUNTERSIGNED Richard J. E. Kain

Regional Signal Officer

Wing Signal Officer??

On the back were spaces that said "Paste Photo Here" and "Right Thumb Print" and four other spaces with just the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4

There is a seal embedded in the card - I can't read what it says

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on I Fighter Command
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Fighter_Command

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on "(Boston Fighter Wing) - 323rd Air Division"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/323d_Air_Division

I assume that the pass was to the old Boston Army Base in South Boston - which was the center of the Boston Port of Embarkation

Edit: Wikipedia article refers to unit being stationed at "Logan Airport" during this time period
Picture is Repost of first picture - picture of my Grandmother in London circa 1920, with two girls she took care of. My mother was named after the girl Sylvia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010826.jpg (387.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 01 Jul 17 at 09:05..
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Jun 17, 17:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
Hi Tom,

Great to see your post. Below is a picture of Desire Dubuque with five generations of family, from the Burlington Free Press dated October 5, 1954. Apparently it is page two, because the flip side is apparently page one, hence the date and banner.

The other picture is a picture of him with a cat, apparently on the front porch. At first glance it looks like it could be from the same time the picture was taken of him with my mother, where she is proudly holding up the fish she caught. Actually quite an interesting picture as the lake and New York state can be seen reflecting in the window. I don't claim to be a photo interpreter, but I think the angle of the sun suggests it is near the summer solstice. Like the picture with the shadows on post 14, I'm here wondering decades -six? later wondering if we are dealing with a master photographer. (Edit - and after thinking about it, I think it most likely was my mother)

On post 2 my grandparents are holding black cats, while he is not. Post 7 is the post with my mother, the hat actually looks different, I think.

Edit: I'm typing in the text from the "Five Generations" photo, so it will show up in searches.

Five Generations - Posing for a family portrait, these five people represent five generations living in the same family. Shown are Mrs. Louis Poquette, Desire Dubuque, Lynn Mary DeGrechie, Mrs. Paul DeGrechie and Roland Poquette. The picture was taken at North Hero. Dubuque is 89 years old, and has six living children, 25 grandchildren, 33 great grandchildren and one great- great grandchild.

Regards,

Tony Tramonte
Repost of picture- five generations. A cousin of mine contacted my sister and me looking for family info. I found this picture again after some looking. My cousin as part of his research found there were Dubuque's in Quebec in 1608 who were masons and in the militia. They were from Northern France, as I suspected, just on a statistical basis.

Also, apparently, no American Indian blood, based on my sister's DNA sample.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9156.JPG (149.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 01 Jul 17 at 00:05..
Old 16 Jul 17, 15:07
General of the Forums
United_States

My mother, my grandmother, my cousins George and Alison, about 1955, at the mailbox on the then dirt road right along the lake.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mothergrandmothergeorgealison.pdf (132.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07 Aug 17, 12:17
General of the Forums
United_States

repost of the first picture in the thread, my great-grandmother, who died in 1935 and my mother missed the rest of her life. I think the picture is about 1932, so my great-grandmother would be about 64.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf greatgrandmothercirca1932.pdf (245.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 07 Aug 17, 12:34
General of the Forums
United_States

Two reposts, since original posts no longer visible. Two "farm life" pictures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bleaknessoffarm1921.pdf (115.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf greatgrandfatherwithteam.pdf (116.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 07 Aug 17, 12:37
General of the Forums
United_States

My mother proudly holding fish she caught. This is what made the farm special, being right on the lake.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf momholdingfishlakeside.pdf (152.8 KB, 8 views)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!