StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 29 Nov 17, 17:20
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Both because I wonder how much the way infantry scouts worked in WWII influenced the development of LRRP units in Vietnam. Would infantry and cavalry scouts be under the control of the I and R units?
Old 29 Nov 17, 20:54
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If they are part of a Squad, they are not in the I&R Platoon.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 29 Nov 17, 22:18
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
Both because I wonder how much the way infantry scouts worked in WWII influenced the development of LRRP units in Vietnam. Would infantry and cavalry scouts be under the control of the I and R units?
Cavalry scouts have little or nothing to do with the development of LRRP units. They came out of the Ranger, raiding history. Although its a little older now, this book provides a pretty good overview of the early history of LRRPs as they developed in USAREUR in the late 50s
usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/gebhardt_LRRP.pdf

www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a284551.pdf

Cavalry scouts developed out of the mechanized cavalry reconnaissance squadrons and groups of WW2, through the Constabulary and then the Armored Cavalry Regiments in Europe.

cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll11/id/746

www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a214798.pdf

Searching DTIC for "armored cavalry" and "long range reconnaissance" produces a bunch of results that might be useful.

This title seems like it might have good info, but I couldn't access it quickly:
"U.S. Army Mechanized Reconnaissance in the Cold War"

If you look through the back issues of Armor and Infantry magazines, available online at Fort Benning's website, you'll find some articles discussing the evolution of organization and doctrine for both types of units.

Infantry squad "scouts" in WW2 had very little to do with either strand of doctrinal development.
Old 30 Nov 17, 07:32
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeStarPrice View Post
My Grandfather was a Scout for much of his time in the Europe
Campaign of WWII. To my knowledge he never rotated out. But
did have many partners, even to the extent of picking his own from
Time to time. He "won" a coin flip to get the Scout spot. He told me of many interesting stories I would gladly share if anyone's interested or
If I can answer any questions from his wealth of war knowledge he told me about.
29 Let's Go!
Thanks but what exactly do you mean when you say he "won" the coin flip to be scout? Did he WANT to win the toss to be scout?
It'd certainly tie in with something I read (I think it was Nam) about a guy who always volunteered to be point man because he knew Charlie usually let the point man go by uncsathed and preferred to open up on the main body of the platoon when it came through. Makes sense to me..
(I'll try to find the quote again in my books and will post it in this thread if I find it)
Old 30 Nov 17, 08:27
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
So far I've only found this (on the net), it seems in this incident that Charlie let not just the point man go by, but the entire first squad, then detonated his mine to clobber the second squad-

Sponsored Links

Old 03 Dec 17, 19:51
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
How much difference is there between scout units and I and R units(IRST as there now known as )?
Old 03 Dec 17, 21:55
Sergeant Major
United_States

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
How much difference is there between scout units and I and R units(IRST as there now known as )?
I've never heard the acronym IRST. Do you mean RSTA? The US played with RSTA doctrinally at least in the development of the Stryker BCTs, beginning in like 1999-2000. When the rest of the Army became modular Infantry and Heavy (later Armored) BCTs, their armed reconnaissance (H/ABCT) and reconnaissance (IBCTs) squadrons often used the term (RSTA), but they lacked the target acquisition assets included in the SBCT surveillance troop and the use in H/A and IBCTs was doctrinally incorrect.

As a separate, dead-end line of development in the initial modular force, the Battlefield Surveillance Brigades had an anemic Cavalry Squadron, which had four HMMWV-mounted scout platoons and a LRS Company (IIRC, two platoons with 8 or 10 teams) that combined the contemporary incarnations of the LRRP/LRP/LRS and the (light) cavalry. They didn't last long, and are now all inactivated, with the BfSBs converted to Expeditionary Military Intelligence Brigades (the BfSBs had a couple of MI battalions, too- their operations were nothing like the cavalry squadron's, part of the reason the BfSB never really worked all that well).

Doctrinally, the US Army today has scout squads and platoons in cavalry troops and squadrons. These exist in Stryker and Armored BCTs, and in the Cavalry Squadrons of Infantry BCTs. There is some push to change the reconnaissance platoon of Infantry battalions in Infantry BCTs into Cavalry platoons as well, but I don't think that's been done yet. That would come full circle for these platoons, which were originally armored cavalry platoons under ROAD from the early 60s and changed to the current reconnaissance platoons with the development of the Light Infantry Divisions in the mid-1980s.
Old 04 Dec 17, 10:05
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
I think the I and R platoon Merkava is referring to is from the U.S. Army in World War II.

U.S. Army Infantry regiments had an I & R (Intelligence and Reconnaissance ) Platoon in the regimental headquarters company.

The I & R Platoon was a small unit of 25 men.
Old 06 Dec 17, 14:53
Major
United_States

Didn't they also have I and R units during the Korean War? I also remember when Schwarzkopf was assigned to the Berlin Brigade he was apart of the Brigade's I and R unit.
Old 06 Dec 17, 20:15
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Didn't they also have I and R units during the Korean War? I also remember when Schwarzkopf was assigned to the Berlin Brigade he was apart of the Brigade's I and R unit.
Although it doesn't mention I&R platoons directly, see https://history.army.mil/html/books/...3-1/index.html. It says that the infantry regiment was essentially unchanged between WW2, through Korea, until the implementation of ROCID (Pentomic) in the late 1950s, when battle group reconnaissance platoons were in the combat support company of the infantry battle group.

Wilson, Maneuver and Firepower, https://history.army.mil/html/books/...ub_60-14-1.pdf says that intelligence and reconnaissance platoons replaced intelligence platoons in infantry regiments in the 1942 organization (p 161), and makes nearly the same comment about the Pentomic battle group's combat support company (p 282).

According to wiki, Schwarzkopf graduated USMA in 1956, and attended the Infantry School Oct 56-Mar 57, and then his first assignment was at the 101st, which was already pentomic. He didn't go to Germany until Jul 59, and served as a platoon leader, liaison officer and recon platoon leader in 6th ID before going to Berlin as the CG's aide-de-camp in Jul 60. If this timeline is correct, he served in pentomic recon units, not triangular I&R units.
Old 07 Dec 17, 05:29
Major General
Australia

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
James Jones was a writer who knew his stuff, and int he Thin red Line there is a quote about scouts. He gives a quote about how in Modern warfare the idea of a scout is an antiquated notion in modern warfare and the squad position of first scout is in fact first target. In the book the two brave and well trained scouts in one squad are ordered forward to investigate a jap position by their officer, and are promptly dispatched by well aimed rifle shots.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!