StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 13 Oct 12, 12:35
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Zero Dark Thirty

This looks good.

December 19th 2012 release date.

Homer

BoRG
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Oct 12, 20:45
First Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99]
Mmmm... this, Lincoln, and The Hobbit I look forward to.

Any ideas what book/information this was based on? I just read No Easy Day and I see that they got the 4 scoped NVG of the SEALs correct.
Old 14 Oct 12, 09:17
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnigan View Post
Any ideas what book/information this was based on?
I was thinking the exact same thing. The version of the raid that has come forward from 'No Easy Day' is very different from the one that was originally put out. Remember the claim of a 40 minute gunfight with the Taliban guards? And Bin Laden being defended by his wives? None of this happened according to 'No Easy Day.'

I'm thinking that if it is the NED version, then the details were released to the film's producers at least a year before the book was published. Which means that all of the hoopla about the book being a security issue was just hype.

I still think it will be a good film. Just curious as to which version of the raid will be shown.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 14 Oct 12, 09:50
First Lieutenant
United_States

Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. The version of the raid that has come forward from 'No Easy Day' is very different from the one that was originally put out. Remember the claim of a 40 minute gunfight with the Taliban guards? And Bin Laden being defended by his wives? None of this happened according to 'No Easy Day.'

I'm thinking that if it is the NED version, then the details were released to the film's producers at least a year before the book was published. Which means that all of the hoopla about the book being a security issue was just hype.

I still think it will be a good film. Just curious as to which version of the raid will be shown.

Cheers,
Dan.
I would think that No Easy Day would not have been provided/used for the script. Bigelow may just shoot the scenes that makes it very vague as to the details of the raid, or it may be a Hollywood shoot 'me up (which I doubt in this case.)

I'm curious if the female lead would be the same CIA Analyst that "Mark Owen" sat next to on the flight saying the UBL was "100% sure" was in the compound.

We'll see!
Old 14 Oct 12, 11:24
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnigan View Post
I would think that No Easy Day would not have been provided/used for the script.
I can see how I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post.

What I meant to say was, I wonder if the Pentagon or the White House released the details of the raid to the film's producers so they could make an accurate account of its execution. And, if the details are the same as Owen provided in 'No Easy Day' then Owen could not have been breaching security with his book.

On the other hand if the film relies on the initial versions of the raid for the film's script them it will differ greatly from Owen's account.

I didn't mean to suggest that Owen was involved with the film.

I agree, it will interesting to see which version the film presents.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 14 Oct 12, 15:07
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I seem to remember that Bigelow and her crew were given unprecedented access by the Pentagon about this raid.

From the trailer it looks like the film is very close to No Easy Day. One thing that is different is that Owen makes no mention of modifications to the Blackhawks used on the raid whereas the film does show a heavily modified version.

I'll definitely check it out.
Old 23 Oct 12, 06:01
General of the Forums
Singapore

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Oh man! Is that a HK416 I spy?
Old 12 Jan 13, 04:22
Sergeant Major
Australia

Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99] Kittikhun is on the path to success [1-99]
So, how did you Yanks find it?
Old 12 Jan 13, 21:33
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
I just saw it today. I had been waiting for more than eleven years for this movie and for a good bit of that time I had lost hope that the subject would arise. Thank God it finally did! Then you have to worry that the inevitable Hollywood take will be unworthy. I can truthfully say the movie is outstanding! A definite must-see.

It has one of the great real-life heroines in cinema history. Jessica Chastain should win the Oscar for her performance. She gets the obsession and the perserverance perfectly. Funny thing is, the actual person will not be able to reap the fame (at least not for a while).

The movie spends most of its time on the frustrating search for UBL (the movie does not dumb it down for the current events illiterate masses). Every now and then it throws in an act of terrorism that reminds you of the stakes. I had forgotten some of these incidents so there was some suspense in what would happen next. For people like me who follow the war on terrorism fairly closely, the movie is still exciting as a reenactment. However, I really envy the people who will go into the theater with little prior knowledge (although I would not trade places with them).

The mission iteslf is edge of your seat, even if you know what will happen. A good blend of POV and fly on the wall. It conformed pretty closely to what I had read about it. (I have not read "No Easy Day" yet, but I did read "Seal Target Geronimo"). The cinematography is amazing and the music leading into the final approach is perfect. Interestingly, and wisely, Bigelow did not do the cliche of running through the plan for the mission. We just go straight into it. There is surprisingly little character development of the SEALS, but several small touches give the distinct impression these guys are true heroes and also professionals. There's a scene where Maya is watching them play horseshoes and then learns they already know the mission is on for that night. Subtle, but brilliant.

You can't help but be proud of the CIA and the military from this film. It does take the risk averse to task, but they are not villainous. Just too careful. CIA Director Panetta comes off well and for you Obama haters, he's not lionized for making the final call.

As far as the controversy which will sadly cost this movie the Oscar (and has already shamefully cost Bigelow a nomination as Best Director), the torture element is not overblown. If you do not want to believe the CIA did some inhumane things and got actionable results from them, keep your head in the sand. Bigelow and Mark Boal (both of "The Hurt Locker") did a boatload of research and we should respect that.

Having seen "Lincoln", this is the better movie. It is also better than "The Hurt Locker".

See this movie!
Old 13 Jan 13, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
(the movie does not dumb it down for the current events illiterate masses).
Okay, I'm sold, gonna see this one the next chance I get.
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
"We have reached the stage where satire is prophecy"
-Theodore Dalrymple
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Jan 13, 23:06
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'll see it soon and am hoping for realism and historical accuracy.

I've seen people in the know saying the harsh interrogation scenes are not accurate, so I'll take those with some skepticism.

Philip
Old 15 Jan 13, 15:45
First Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipLaos View Post
I'll see it soon and am hoping for realism and historical accuracy.

I've seen people in the know saying the harsh interrogation scenes are not accurate, so I'll take those with some skepticism.

Philip
The movie is billed as a fictional account of historical events... the characters are amalgams of real people and scenes based on real events, but it's still gotta be a great movie.

BTW, I saw the crappy NatGeo "Seal Team Six" and it was awful. Talk about no research whatsoever. They had Cairo the dog take down Al-Kuwaiti when it should've already been known that it the dog was used for perimeter security. ugh.
Old 16 Jan 13, 10:35
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Yeah, NatGeo has started buying the same types of independently produced 'stuff' that passes for 'documentary' material on A&E networks and Discovery. Same recycled stock footage and overweight reenactors that have turned the "History Channel" into a joke.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 16 Jan 13, 11:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We saw it this past weekend. It is excellent. Attitudes and jargon are generally correct and the last 40 minutes is outstanding.

And watching it in a theater full of Marines is always a lot of fun.

When 'Fearless Leader' was mentioned, there was a general chorus of 'dumbass' me included.

Anyways, highly recommended and it isn't politically correct at all, as far as I could see. Maybe that's why Bigelow didn't get a best director nomination-she surely deserved it.

I'd tell some of the funny parts, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 16 Jan 13, 13:27
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
It has gotten poor reviews out here for some reason. There are rumors that it gives far too much credit to Obama.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!