StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Africa

Notices and Announcements

Africa Issues of modern Africa.

Old 24 Sep 13, 01:58
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think some people are going to be very unhappy soon...

http://diasporamessenger.com/license...-elite-forces/

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 24 Sep 13, 03:53
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
A lot of the pictures show police in civilian clothes exchanging fire with the terrorists. Surely the security forces would all be in uniform to make identification easier?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ist-scene.html
Old 24 Sep 13, 05:44
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
This woman is supposed to be part of this. Treason is treason. I never would have thought this once upon a time but I just keep thinking tap to the head if she's going to hang out in that part of the world with those kind of people..I don't want her in a prison here. The Kenyans can throw away the key..
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:46
Lieutenant Colonel
Finland
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99]
Kenya still has capital punishment, though they haven't exucuted anyone for some years. I heard some rumours that in this case it execution is real possibility...Maybe they get their official hangman out of retirement

And if those rumours of "Finnish" attacker are true good riddance to him too. I think Copenhagen, and and my stance is that "Finnishness" in this case is purely adminstrative...
Old 24 Sep 13, 11:44
First Sergeant
Armchair_General

IvanSidorenko is on the path to success [1-99] IvanSidorenko is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
HSM Press Office @ HSM_PR 22m
The Kenyan govt and FM have not the faintest idea of what's going on inside # Westgate mall. Rest assured, Kenyans are in for a big surprise!
Anyone else think they are going to blow up the whole mall? What else could they be doing for 4 days? Just sitting in a room waiting for people to run in? I seriously think they are placing heavy explosives everywhere and are going to blow it.

The 10 are so arrest that someone stated yesterday were not people inside the mall but outside.

Quote:
Arrests at airport Even as soldiers continued to sweep the mall, authorities also zeroed in on an airports and border crossings. More than 10 suspects were arrested Monday for questioning in relation to the attacks, the Interior Ministry tweeted Tuesday.
Quote:
Kenya's Interior Ministry also gave reason for hope: "We're very near the end."

But four days after Al-Shabaab terrorists stormed the swanky mall, several gunmen -- including snipers -- were still inside, two senior officials said.
source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/24/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 24 Sep 13, 11:49
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If they were going to blow it up they would have done it with as many victims inside as possible. More likely they expected Kenyan troops to just storm the place and go out in a blaze of glory. Instead the authorities have concentrated on extracting the civilians alive. So this went on rather longer than the gunmen anticipated.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 24 Sep 13, 14:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Kenyans are reporting they captured 11 suspects.

Why in the world surrender after committing such an atrocity? They had weapons. The cowardice of the Islamists is equal to their fanaticism.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Old 24 Sep 13, 16:01
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
Who said they gave up easy. Or unbruised.

If I was incharge i would where ever posibile what prisoners to you know, use has a intel source. They will want to know how they got in country, who helped them, who supplyed them who trained them who funnded them. Then get a nice long kill list and make it knowen that who ever trys this gets a one way trip to his Virginians.

The guys who carreid out the attacks may not fear death but those who planed and ensurred the succsess are by nature cowards.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 24 Sep 13, 16:11
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100] tcox has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post

Why in the world surrender after committing such an atrocity? They had weapons. The cowardice of the Islamists is equal to their fanaticism.
Mount another operation to seize hostages and release them in exchange for the release of these guys or turn their trial into a defense which attacks all kafirs and praises jihad
Old 24 Sep 13, 16:40
General of the Forums
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800]
Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800] Sergio gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:

The problem is that a statement like that is about as accurate or useful as saying that all British military personnel are heroic fighters who never surrender. If Islamists were all a bunch of cowards we would not be in the situation we are in now would we?

Define cowardice though. Is a man walking up to a situation knowing he is most likely going to die a coward even if he murders civilians? Are aircrew flying over largely undefended cities heroes?

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
Grandad, Only Fools and Horses
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Sep 13, 18:20
Colonel
United_States

unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100] unclefred has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:

It's a good thing though. They will be a good source of information and intel. Perhaps some terrorist sympathizers in the UK and the US will be exposed.
Old 25 Sep 13, 05:45
Captain
Armchair_General

Emmajin Beki is on the path to success [1-99] Emmajin Beki is on the path to success [1-99]
They are probably barely any. Even if they sympathise, they are to gutless to do anything and they have freedom of speech.
Old 25 Sep 13, 10:18
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24239264

Quote:
Zachary Yach is an 18-year-old South African whose family recently moved to Kenya. He told the BBC's Will Ross how he defied his dad's orders to leave a restaurant where he was trapped for two and a half hours during the Westgate attack:

My sister, my mum and I had just come from a doctor's appointment and we headed off to a burger restaurant at Westgate for lunch.

We had just ordered our burgers and I was looking at the woman across from me and some pebbles, small rocks pieces of concrete were thrown at her and I was looking to see who was throwing the stuff.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

In these kind of situations there's no time to think, you just react”

Then a huge explosion really swept us off our feet - it was like a big gust of wind, like a sandstorm, things hitting your face and then a huge explosion which was ear piercing.

So we just dropped to the floor under the table, put our heads down and curled up for a good 20 or 30 minutes.
'A lot of dead bodies'

That was when a lot of grenades were being thrown and a lot of gunfire was happening and once that had subsided a bit, we put our heads up to see what was going on because we were completely clueless.

I saw one of the waiters - he was OK but he had a lot of blood coming from his head. Also, in the other corner of the restaurant, I looked and I saw a lot of dead bodies and I was really just praying for them to just wiggle a bit to see if they were OK and alive.

Thank God someone else moved his head and I pointed to him and asked him: "Are you OK?" you know with my thumbs up.
Kenyan troops take position on 21 September 2013 inside the Westgate mall in Nairobi. Zachary hid inside the ArtCaffe for two and a half hours before a tactical team helped him to escape

He had been shot in the arm so he managed to grab a knife and come towards us. He cut his T-shirt and tied it around - we helped him and tried to get him to keep pressure on.

In these kind of situations there's no time to think, you just react. So the first thing I thought of was just to make sure my family was OK and once they were fine, to help anyone else I could.

There were still bursts of gunfire.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 26 Sep 13, 03:36
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewza View Post
Smart kid.
Old 26 Sep 13, 07:44
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
One woman who was executed. She was over 8 months pregnant. There is no forgiveness for this.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!