StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 21 Jul 17, 22:16
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Loved it. Variety and texture.
Old 23 Jul 17, 02:09
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The graphic novel that inspired a generation?
Doesn't take much to inspire the present generation apparently..
Old 23 Jul 17, 06:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
The graphic novel's first installment was published in 1967.
Old 23 Jul 17, 19:35
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well, I went and saw it.

I think Besson did a great job of subtly making great satire of many recent sci-fi movies in this one. The alien race at the center of the movie were right out of Avatar but not the pathetic whiners of that movie.
In one scene in what's the equivalent of a "red light district" you catch Valerian being propositioned by Jessica Rabbit... (my son said the same thing so I didn't just imagine that).
The bad guy was out of Star Wars.
The "prime minister" was an obvious send up of the President in the Fifth Element.
Valerian's ship looks like a finny version of the Millennium Falcon.

It was just full of really subtle jokes if you looked for them.
Old 23 Jul 17, 21:40
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I had to chose between this movie and Dunkirk and Dunkirk won. The start times for Valerian were over two and a half hours away.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Jul 17, 21:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I had to chose between this movie and Dunkirk and Dunkirk won. The start times for Valerian were over two and a half hours away.

Pruitt
I went to Dunkirk in the morning and joined the wife for the evening showing of "Valerian". We'll make similar accommodations for "Murder on the Orient Express." I already know who dunnit.
Old 25 Jul 17, 12:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
In one scene in what's the equivalent of a "red light district" you catch Valerian being propositioned by Jessica Rabbit...
I saw that, and thought it one of the more subtle, well played moments in the movie. As for the rest...

The jab at "Avatar" was direct, particularly given the opening scene. As I have said elsewhere "Avatar" was an anti-corporate, anti-capitalist screed woven into the appropriated story of Pocahontas. Only here the High-Elf one-with-the-universe nature-loving doe-eyed wonders had critters which could reproduce whatever valuable mineral, jewel, or unobtainable macguffin their little hearts desired, thus rendering them potentially the richest doe-eyed wonders in the Universe. And they knew it, which was the true stab at "Avatar."

Also true the villain was your standard copy and paste bad-guy taken from any number of Sci-Fi films released since "Forbidden Planet." In addition many of the alien species were taken right out of "The Fifth Element."

Beginning the character narrative with a marriage proposal was a poorly executed attempt at character development. For those who had never read the Graphic Novels, of which I was one, at the start of the narrative the viewer had nothing invested in the lead characters, and thus no emotion to invest in the lead's ham-handed attempt to woe someone who looked ten years younger than he did. My thought at that moment was "who gives a crap," and by the end of the film that sentiment hadn't changed.

I suppose the most disappointing aspect of the film was the predictability of the plot. I mean the entire progression was formulaic, and by the time of the James Bond adrift at sea with the subdued maiden scene I was just glad it was over.

Yes, "Valerian" looked good, but so did "The Fifth Element." But the simple truth is "The Fifth Element" was a much better movie. In addition it benefited from the grace of featuring a heroine who looked like a woman instead of a kid.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Last edited by Martok; 25 Jul 17 at 17:48..
Old 25 Jul 17, 16:01
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
She also got more screen time kicking @$$...

I'll add that Valerian is likely to make a fortune off the residuals and replays on television, etc., just as Lucy and The Fifth Element did.
Old 25 Jul 17, 16:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

"Ice cream was so much better when I was kid..."

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!