StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 07 Sep 08, 16:03
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Tactics II was my first wargame, and I miss the days when finding someone to play these games with was as easy.

I still have most of my games upstairs in my collection, along with a stack or two of SPI games.

I also liked PanzerBlitz. I used to sit and play it alone in my room. Mom didn't understand, but I told her hey, at least I am playing with a game.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 09 Sep 08, 10:52
Lance Corporal
United_States

JR Mapes is on the path to success [1-99] JR Mapes is on the path to success [1-99]
I still have all my old "Generals" and AH games,
Napoleon at Bay
Third Reich
Starship Troopers
IDF-MBT
Tobruk
Arab-Israeli Wars
Panzer Leader
Panzer Bllitz
Squad Leader w/ Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, & GI Anvil of Victory
Storm Over Arnhem
King Maker
Naval War
Enemy In Sight
Gettysburg
Blitzkrieg
Afrika Korps
B-17
Battle of the Buldge
Civilization (Advanced)
Pattons Best
Stonewall Jacksons Way
Waterloo

Plus a number of their sister company, Victory Games' games like,
Hell's Highway
Flahspoint Golan
Pacific War
Across Five Aprils
etc.

But I think I still have more SPI games. Those flat trays take up a heck of a lot less room than all those "bookshelf" boxes.

We still play AH. Panzer Leader / Blitz, Tobruk, and Squad Leader are always favorites of mine and my buddy. I also play those a lot via Vassal. Of course family wise we play more often and they actually like to play King Maker, Naval War, Enemy In Sight, and Civilization in order of preference.

But SPI and VG (and GDW occasionally) still pretty much rules the roost when it comes to getting the most play time. As a matter of fact right now we have the new S&T Cobra III game going and about complete. We are going to play either VG's Pacific War or Hell's Highway next and just prior to Cobra III we had finally wrapped up our first full run through of Decision Games' Wacht am Rhein II (it only took us 6 months but what the hey!).

my buddy is really wanting to get into Flames of War. I used to do miniatures (ACW) years ago and FoW looks good although I don't care much for what I have read of the rules but nothing says you have to use them. We have been talking about using the Squad Leader Miniatures rules done up by W. Littlefield (Info can be found here - http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/slminiatures/ )

Jerry
Old 18 Sep 08, 05:12
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I just cleared off part of my desk to set up either some solo ASL, Tac Air, or Ambush.
Old 03 Oct 08, 15:41
Staff Sergeant
United_States

larizona is on the path to success [1-99]
I bought a really good copy of 1914 recently on ebay. Can't wait to play it.

If anyone wants to play on vassal, ADC2 let me know...

Join the Army and see the Navy
sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933
Old 06 Oct 08, 21:40
General of the Forums
United_States

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

No Zones of Control.

Played that game many years ago, one giant slug fest.

Which is appropriate, I guess.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Sponsored Links

Old 07 Feb 09, 06:43
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

ronrem is on the path to success [1-99] ronrem is on the path to success [1-99]
I played Afrika Corps quite a bit in the 70's and has 1914 which was interesting to set up but rather mind boggling to play.

1914 tried to capture some of the confusion,frustration and abstraction of early WW I when the early plans bogged down to start becoming trench war. Unfortunately...that made the game tedious and slow..though very deep. Nobody else much wanted to play 1914 more than once.

We invented our own AH type game we called "Space War" It was done on a grid/squares board as laying out hex would have been too much. Ships had offense, defense,mobility qualities and about the board were squares that were planets and most had a "T" marked on them. If you landed on a planet with a "T" for technology you could chose a weapon, a defensive sheild,a drive.
There were even Modular weapons. The Vex X missle could be enhanced with dual warheads and Magnum warheads. You could invest a LOT of T's in your main battle cruiser or disperse your assets. With the large board and as many as 12 fleets....a game could last for days with a lot of epic battles. I tried to scale down but the 2 hour version was unable to generate all the strategy and drama of the full version. There were just 4 of us that played it a lot.

Afrika Korps was fun but after awhile everyone new the Brits had the long run advantage and could almost always win by not getting aggressive early..make the Germans overextend.
Old 07 Feb 09, 15:10
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99] HappyWlad is on the path to success [1-99]
I can still remember the day my buddy brought over AH's Air Assault on Crete. It was my first true wargame. I still have my bruised and battered copy with worn counters and played it every so often up until Matrix came out with a computer version.

My other favorite was Bismarck.

Wlad
Old 24 Oct 09, 13:01
Corporal
United_States

TM2(SW/AW) is on the path to success [1-99]
I still have my old Avalon-Hill games packed away, and turning yellow- Iron Men, Wooden Ships, regatta, outdoor survival, gunslinger, and another game I can't remember(something to do with pirates).
It's a shame that Avalon-Hill went out of business, I do enjoy their games.
Old 29 Oct 09, 10:24
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2(SW/AW) View Post
Technically they aren't out of business... they were absorbed by Hasbro and now managed by Wizards of the Coast (another Hasbro subsidiary).

Now, they don't make classic hex-and-counter games anymore, but they are the imprint under which all the Axis & Allies games are released.
Old 17 Nov 09, 19:15
Corporal
United_States

Tiger Hunter is on the path to success [1-99] Tiger Hunter is on the path to success [1-99]
MBT and IDF are awesome, and by far my favorites. I'm a tank guy, what can I say? My only beef is that the stats for the modern MBT's don't hold up well to scrutiny, but I rewrote them years ago anyway...

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
George S. Patton
Old 23 Nov 09, 14:39
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Hunter View Post
I'm a tank guy, what can I say?

Oooga Oooga SABOT-TANK!

BWAHAHAHA!

Last edited by BayonetBrant; 23 Nov 09 at 14:40.. Reason: youtubeishness
Old 23 Nov 09, 15:52
Second Lieutenant
United_States

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
Tactics II

Got Tactics II in 1961, and over the years have stayed with it.

Modified to add 4square and 1square nuke and gas effects no entry zones after shooting the 3 big missiles (the Army Group and 1st, 2nd Armies), and the 4 corps weapons (both Red and Blue).

Modified some units, set up 4 as Mech Inf at 1.5 combat factor and same movement as Armor at 2.

Also gave each side an Air Assault Div with a 3 combat factor (signifies attack helos), and a portable airfield which can go forward to any terrain up to 20 squares from current location.

Also used extra counters to give each side some air elements: 1 long range bomber with combat effects of 4 (Bears, B-52s to drop Arclights), 2 fighter units (one short range, one long range interceptor) to protect bombers, and 3 ground attack units at combat effects of 2 (like armor). Also drew in airfields for stationing all air units, and to which all airborne units must go to launch initially.
RedDagger18
Old 23 Nov 09, 18:30
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2(SW/AW) View Post
I still have my old Avalon-Hill games packed away, and turning yellow- Iron Men, Wooden Ships, regatta, outdoor survival, gunslinger, and another game I can't remember(something to do with pirates).
The shame is that those morons at Hasbro bought rights and didn't do anything with it!
Old 31 Jan 11, 19:20
Banned
Korea

RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500]
Ah, AH. I got into wargaming with their 1961 or '63 game Civil War, which I found at a Western Auto store one Christmas. Later bought their Gettysburg, along with a lot of Milton Bradley titles in my game-spent youth. I even remember the original promo letter for PanzerBlitz. It contained instructions on how to fold the envelope to send in your order, instructions that ended with, "If you still haven't figured out how to fold the envelope, don't worry about it. You probably couldn't play PanzerBlitz anyway." Anybody remember the first run of Squad Leader that was printed in the wrong color? It was purple, as I recall.
Old 06 Feb 11, 12:54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Nice thread resurrection.

I still have all my old Avalon Hill games: PanzerBlitz, Starship Troopers, Arab-Israeli Wars, Tobruk. Probably a couple more - that's just off the top of my head.

Good times.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!