HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 20 Jun 14, 21:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
You did a good job with the introduction of the book. I bought a copy and plan on buying volume II.

Don't get discouraged if some of us disagree with a book that is introduced.

The point is, I think, to stimulate discussion and you did that admirably.

Hang in there.

Sincerely,
M
Thanks for your support.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 20 Jun 14, 21:42
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
History is made by choices.
One over the othere.

I come in with a new book to me, and make a find about Grant, heck, with
all that jumping, sqaulling, etc.one would think it was the end of the world.
Won't happen again for me.
Its alright. It is a controversial book. I recall a similar (but less heated) reaction to the new Hood book.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=142265

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 21 Jun 14, 18:28
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Thanks for your support.
Anytime, Marshall, anytime at all.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 21 Jun 14, 20:56
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67th Tigers View Post
...at the start of the war he was living in Galena and known as the town drunk.
Interestingly, that statement about Grant is also incorrect.

I received today the book Captain Sam Grant by Lloyd Lewis, which is the first volume in the trilogy on Grant which was completed by Bruce Catton after Lewis died.

Regarding Grant's time in Galena before returning to the US Army, Lewis writes:

'...Now that occupation was constant, security more certain with each day, and his family at hand, Ulysses found no need for liquor. Rawlins, who made it his business to know about such matters, endorsed the statement that while Grant smoked a clay pipe to excess, 'he was temperate in everything else, for he had totally aabstained from drink for several years,' and had not touched a drop even while passing drinks around the store the night of the great Republican 'jollification.' And the lawyer, Shaw, declared in after years that he had not heard it hinted, while Grant lived in Galena, that 'there was the slightest lapse from perfect sobriety.'-389.

So, where did you find the idea of Grant being 'the town drunk' in Galena, or did you just make it up?

Sincerely,
M
Old 22 Jun 14, 06:47
General of the Forums
United_States

Here is a character sketch of Grant as a new colonel taking over an undisciplined volunteer regiment at the beginning of the Civil War (from Lewis' biography, 427-428). It is definitely an excellent example of Grant's character and what made him an excellent commander.

'Committed, however, to Illinois, Grant boarded a Springfield horsecar on June 16 and with John E. Smith beside him rode out to his regiment at Camp Yates. Smith later described Grant's arrival:

'He was dressed very clumsily, in citizen's clothes-an old coat, worn out at the elbows, and a badly dinged plug hat. His men, though ragged and barefoot themselves, had formed a high estmate of what a Colonel ought to be, and when Grant walked in among them they began baking fun of him.'

'What a Colonel! Damn such a Colonel!'

''A few of them, to show off to the others, got behind his back and commenced sparring at him and while one was doing this, another gave him such a push that made him hit Grant a terrible blow between his shoulders' knocking off his hat. Grant quietly stooped down, picked it up, dusted it, then placed it upon his head without saying a word. He turned around and looked at the men, however, for an instant, and in that look the latter saw they had a soldier and a man of nerve to deal with.''

'Smith said the boys began to feel 'very much mortified' and one of them came up to explain 'it was all in fun and hoped the new Colonel wouldn't get mad about it.''

''But he did,' said Smith. 'Grant went to work immediately, and in a very short time had him men clothed and fixed up in good style.''

'Lieutenant JW Wham saw Grant walk into the Adjutant's tent, saying 'he guessed he'd take command,' then sit down to write orders and eventually stroll over the camp to look around. 'The first thing that caught his eye was the camp guard...Which Colonel Goode had created to keep the men from climbing the fence and going into the city to see the girls.' Grant told the guard, which consisted of eighty men with clubs, to disband. There would be no more guards, he told the gaping soldiers; each man must be present at the roll calls of which there would be several a day. he gave the times of the calls. 'The effect of that order was wonderful,' said Lieutenant Wham. 'There was no more climbing the fence after that.''

''We could not exactly understand the man,' remembered Private Aaron Elliott in later years. 'he was very soon called 'the quiet man'...and in a few days reduced matters in camp to perfect order.''

Interesting...

Sincerely,
M
Old 22 Jun 14, 07:06
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
By Grant joining the Temperance Committee voluntarily, indicates to
me he recognized he had an alcohol problem. I will refrain from using
the word 'drunk' which sooner or later on regular use that is what happens,
I will always believe he was an alcoholic.

Now that is my opinion and also backed up with his past history of excessive use of alcholol.

I will say no more about it on this thread.

Got away from the OP.

I am pulling for old Rosy. It appears he was railroaded.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 25 Jun 14, 11:18
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100] McMax has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
...I will always believe he was an alcoholic.

Perhaps he was, but he sure kicked slavercrat ass!

As for Rosecrans, he was not in any way one of the ACW top commanders, however he deserves more credit for the middle Tennessee campaign. It was against Braxton Bragg but Rosecrans did run the slavercrats out of the state with very few losses.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!