StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 08 Jan 13, 05:52
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by At ease View Post
What hope have the other states got.

As of last month, the Hume Highway between the Victorian border and Holbrook NSW is stillllllllllllll single lane each way
It's a bit "chokka" for Eastern states ports/infrastructure.

WA basing is also closer to the potential "action".

As much as I would like to see some major US hardware based in near-to- me Jervis Bay(former RAN fleet anchorage - when we still had a fleet), it's more useful at HMAS Stirling.
Holbrook's by-pass is due for completion mid 2013.

Although I hope HMAS Otway still gets plenty of attention, I enjoyed viewing it when I drove through the town.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 08 Jan 13, 10:02
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
On US bases, Friedman says why the Aussie Government in turning down the USN's request to base Carriers in WA, is probably because they don't want to upset China, or fear of making Perth a possable future target.

So, should we, or shouldn't we?
There is also a significant economic impact locally to basing a large element like carrier group. While it can be a boost to the local economy by bringing in several thousand sailors with disposable income, it can also require significant investment in the form of dock space, security, and local infrastructure improvements. Someone has to foot the bill for that up front.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 08 Jan 13, 20:17
Sergeant Major
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung Baby View Post

I have to ask, why the idea of basing US carriers in WA, what's wrong with any of the ports along the eastern states?
The Indian ocean looks like being a focal point of Australian & US interest's in the future with the massive development of the north West shelf, and the converging sea lanes to Asia.

http://www.newsweekly.com.au/article.php?id=3218

'Defense' mag has a interesting article on it, suggesting that Cocos & Christmas islands may be upgraded for Aussie or US forces to use.

What would be your vote, yes or no to the carrier base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
There is also a significant economic impact locally to basing a large element like carrier group. While it can be a boost to the local economy by bringing in several thousand sailors with disposable income, it can also require significant investment in the form of dock space, security, and local infrastructure improvements. Someone has to foot the bill for that up front.
HMAS Stirling, Fleet Base West, Garden Island has come on quite a bit,it's Australia's largest Fleet Base, capable of supporting half the fleet. Also known as "Fleet Base West," US carriers have often made it an R & R spot on tours, how much upgrade would be needed to base Carriers I'm not sure, but no doubt it would be done if thought a necessity.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...y/stirling.htm

Last edited by Aussie; 08 Jan 13 at 20:26..
Old 09 Jan 13, 01:37
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
The Indian ocean looks like being a focal point of Australian & US interest's in the future with the massive development of the north West shelf, and the converging sea lanes to Asia.

http://www.newsweekly.com.au/article.php?id=3218

'Defense' mag has a interesting article on it, suggesting that Cocos & Christmas islands may be upgraded for Aussie or US forces to use.

What would be your vote, yes or no to the carrier base?
I don't support a permanent carrier base in Oz, but I'm all for upgrading several ports to accommodate them for resupply etc. If the US seriously wanted a permanent port in Australia I would be asking them to consider a port with infrastructure to service and refit subs, something substantial enough so it could enable us to use for our own subs alongside theirs.

Old 09 Jan 13, 01:43
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Holbrook's by-pass is due for completion mid 2013.

Although I hope HMAS Otway still gets plenty of attention, I enjoyed viewing it when I drove through the town.
It's an excellent exhibit: there is ,of course, a good historical reason why a submarine is "dry-docked" so far from its natural habitat. (Some sort of record, I wonder ?).

I wonder if the Collins Class vessels will be treated with the same esteem that the Oberons are when they are retired.
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Jan 13, 03:20
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
It's an excellent exhibit: there is ,of course, a good historical reason why a submarine is "dry-docked" so far from its natural habitat. (Some sort of record, I wonder ?).

I wonder if the Collins Class vessels will be treated with the same esteem that the Oberons are when they are retired.
The Oberons were based on the very successful Porpoise class, whereas the Collins class were uniquely an Australian design... yes it was an enlarged version of the Västergötland class but much longer for our requirements. Australia had to solve it's own problems with the Collins class because no one else could offer support or guidance during mid and full cycle refits with qualified workers.... thus completing the subs "on time" wasn't going to be easy, nor cheap.

Old 09 Jan 13, 05:42
Major
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99] pinzer is on the path to success [1-99]
I stoped there on a Sydney trip last year, Great museum.
Old 10 Jan 13, 02:22
Sergeant Major
Australia

Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99] Aussie is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I don't support a permanent carrier base in Oz, but I'm all for upgrading several ports to accommodate them for resupply etc. If the US seriously wanted a permanent port in Australia I would be asking them to consider a port with infrastructure to service and refit subs, something substantial enough so it could enable us to use for our own subs alongside theirs.
Yeah think I'd vote the same, it's not out of the question that you 'might' eventually have something like Subic Bay on your hands, & that WOULD be a number one target if the proverbial ever hit the fan over Taiwan for instance. [forbid the thought]

BTW, have you [or anyone] got a price on the Los Angeles attack sub?

I posted a bit back the the Navy League mag had them coming in at $US1.2 billion [not 1.4 billion like I posted]] but don't give any source, on the other hand the latest 'Defense' mag has an article on the next sub for Oz, & quotes US Dept of defense cost report to Congress that the LA class sub comes in at $2.644 billion in 2015 dollars, plus $85 million a year operating costs.

It works out at $15.9 billion for six boats, & $31.8 billion for 12, which is a dollar or two above the Navy League estimate.

So who would be closest?

And on costing another piece of hardware that the RAAF is hanging it's hat on, the much talked about F-35.

A story by a British writer on the evolving big carriers for the RN, while saying that the carriers are vital for the RN, & extolling the capabilities of the two biggest warships ever built in the UK, goes on to explain the big snafu about the change from jump jet to the more capable [& cheaper] Navy version, & then back to the jump jet when it was found that the catapult system would cost two billion pounds for the carriers.

Now the Brits are having heart palpitations at the cost of the F-35B, with reports that the first jets coming into Marine service are almost $300 million dollars a copy, which is a pretty eye watering price according to the writer.

If true, & I repeat 'if,'that means the Aussie version, though cheaper then the B version, could still be pretty eye watering as well.

I realize that the initial price comes down with later production, but he mentions that the price might not come down too soon because of cut backs in numbers being produced & that it's not a favourite item on capitol hill.

Perhaps there's DoD costing out there somewhere.
Old 10 Jan 13, 03:26
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Yeah think I'd vote the same, it's not out of the question that you 'might' eventually have something like Subic Bay on your hands, & that WOULD be a number one target if the proverbial ever hit the fan over Taiwan for instance. [forbid the thought]
Ideally, I would hope we could build more subs locally... when the Collins subs run well, they are world class, even the US subs can't find them.

Quote:
BTW, have you [or anyone] got a price on the Los Angeles attack sub?

I posted a bit back the the Navy League mag had them coming in at $US1.2 billion [not 1.4 billion like I posted]] but don't give any source, on the other hand the latest 'Defense' mag has an article on the next sub for Oz, & quotes US Dept of defense cost report to Congress that the LA class sub comes in at $2.644 billion in 2015 dollars, plus $85 million a year operating costs.

It works out at $15.9 billion for six boats, & $31.8 billion for 12, which is a dollar or two above the Navy League estimate.

So who would be closest?
I think the best bet would be to hope that the RAN build the Sōryū class submarine here in Australia, with Japanese supervision and experienced engineers we should have a better support team for the mid/full cycle refits. I'm inclined to steer clear from nuclear powered subs, I think the costs will be too much on the annual budget, and for the most part we will be forced to send the subs to the US for servicing, training our own guys will take lots of time and money... and will they stay around long enough?

Quote:
And on costing another piece of hardware that the RAAF is hanging it's hat on, the much talked about F-35.

A story by a British writer on the evolving big carriers for the RN, while saying that the carriers are vital for the RN, & extolling the capabilities of the two biggest warships ever built in the UK, goes on to explain the big snafu about the change from jump jet to the more capable [& cheaper] Navy version, & then back to the jump jet when it was found that the catapult system would cost two billion pounds for the carriers.

Now the Brits are having heart palpitations at the cost of the F-35B, with reports that the first jets coming into Marine service are almost $300 million dollars a copy, which is a pretty eye watering price according to the writer.

If true, & I repeat 'if,'that means the Aussie version, though cheaper then the B version, could still be pretty eye watering as well.

I realize that the initial price comes down with later production, but he mentions that the price might not come down too soon because of cut backs in numbers being produced & that it's not a favourite item on capitol hill.

Perhaps there's DoD costing out there somewhere.
I started a thread ages ago about Australia's future fighter, got over 200 posts so the discussion was wide ranging. I think my first choice was the F-15E, I even went so far as to suggest the best F-111 replacement would be the Su-34, because it incorporates an avionics suite designed to allow for western avionics to be installed.... so I'm led to believe anyway.

The F-35A will be a formidable plane, but feel we could have done ok with gen4+ fighters for a few more years, then wait to see how UAVs evolve into possible frontline fighter planes, my opinion anyway.

Cheers mate.

Old 11 Jan 13, 02:22
Sergeant Major
Australia

Quote:
Ideally, I would hope we could build more subs locally... when the Collins subs run well, they are world class, even the US subs can't find them.

That series on the tour of the Rankin, & what it managed to do, would be one of the best series i've ever seen.

Been cursing ever since that I didn't tape it, hoping it gets another run some day. IIRC there was a video produced, missed that as well.

Quote:
I think the best bet would be to hope that the RAN build the Sōryū class submarine here in Australia, with Japanese supervision and experienced engineers we should have a better support team for the mid/full cycle refits. I'm inclined to steer clear from nuclear powered subs, I think the costs will be too much on the annual budget, and for the most part we will be forced to send the subs to the US for servicing, training our own guys will take lots of time and money... and will they stay around long enough?
Agree on the nuclear subs, the Navy League seem to think it's relatively simple to go out & buy a bunch of nuclear subs at knockdown prices & everyone will be happy, but as Stephen Smith says, Australia just doesn't have the nuclear infrastructure to go down that path.

The Japanese subs seem top class, but as someone said they've put a lot of time & money into cutting edge high tech for their subs, & might just want to keep it under wraps for the time being.

One of my old 'Defense' mags has an interesting story on the Brits 'Vidor' advanced sub concept, & of a large ocean going sub of about 6,000 tons, using technology just starting to mature such as HTS motors & lithium-ion batteries, 'stealth' snorkeling etc. etc. which should give diesel electric boats a quantum leap forward.

http://www.superpower-inc.com/conten...and-generators

And it seems that despite the defense budget cuts, it's full steam ahead for 'some' type of new sub, about 45 million dollars has been spent on the first feasibility study, just crossing the fingers that they handle it slightly better then the 'original' Collins.

Quote:
I started a thread ages ago about Australia's future fighter, got over 200 posts so the discussion was wide ranging. I think my first choice was the F-15E, I even went so far as to suggest the best F-111 replacement would be the Su-34, because it incorporates an avionics suite designed to allow for western avionics to be installed.... so I'm led to believe anyway.

The F-35A will be a formidable plane, but feel we could have done ok with gen4+ fighters for a few more years, then wait to see how UAVs evolve into possible frontline fighter planes, my opinion anyway.

Cheers mate.
Yeah the F-35 debate just wont go away, problem is that by the time the F-35 is starting service, a few years after that the impressive twin engined F-22 stealth type J-20 or PAK-FA will probably be coming on the market.

Guess it will sort itself out in the end.
Old 11 Jan 13, 03:26
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

If the documentary was called 'Submariners' then I'll be posting the entire series in the Naval forum very soon.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...51#post2437551

Last edited by Achtung Baby; 11 Jan 13 at 03:33..
Old 11 Jan 13, 23:21
Sergeant Major
Australia

That was the one AB, & a BIG thumbs up from me on your efforts.

It was eight [IIRC] half hour programs on the ABC, & shows you what a great conventional sub with an absolutely top notch commander [even if he was a Pom] and a well trained crew can do.

What they did off Hawaii against all the disadvantages thrown in their path was pretty extraordinary to say the least.

The problem in the future [apart from building the right boat] is getting enough young blokes to man them.

Might have to start poaching likely candidates from UK or the US [at least one of the crew of the Rankin was from the US, [Texas IIRC] but I guess it's a two way road if you go down that that track..
Old 12 Jan 13, 06:03
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

No worries, mate. I haven't had a chance to watch it myself, but hope to find the time soon, looks like a great documentary.

Old 17 Jan 13, 01:52
First Lieutenant
Australia

PacificSentinel is on the path to success [1-99] PacificSentinel is on the path to success [1-99] PacificSentinel is on the path to success [1-99] PacificSentinel is on the path to success [1-99] PacificSentinel is on the path to success [1-99]
The AWDs seem to be coming along nicely!

Australian Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) Alliance has received 1st Sonar block from Spain << My Blog
Old 17 Jan 13, 04:15
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificSentinel View Post

Below is feedback from a Cantabria sailor about his experiences onboard so far...

Quote:
ESPS Cantabria Deployment - Life Onboard
by Royal Australian Navy on Monday, January 14, 2013 at 3:31pm ·

https://www.facebook.com/notes/royal...72512699430101

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!