StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Ancient Era

Notices and Announcements

The Ancient Era Discuss Ancient Warfare! Romans, Carthaginians, Greeks, etc.

Old 05 Dec 04, 17:55

Post Books: Ancient Era - Recommended Reading List

If possible I'd like to keep this in rough framework.

Subject/Title/Author type of deal. (If you want to put a little blurb about what it is about - that is even better)

E.G.

Rome A Noise of War A J Langguth -A Narrative historical fiction account of the Roman Civil War. Caesar, Pompey, Octavian, and the Struggle for Rome. (No idea how this book is - I have not yet read it - just saw it on my shelf and it was a convenient example).
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Dec 04, 16:49
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Ceasar's The Conquest of Gaul and The Civil Wars are must reads for those interested in that period.
Old 16 Dec 04, 09:16
Private
United_States

armoredassault5 is a balanced individual [0]
Herodotus's "The Histories" is an excellent overview of Greek and Persian history from the Persians Wars on till the outbreak of the Pelopennesian Wars. It is well written, and a good read.
Old 16 Dec 04, 14:08

The Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy -I got this one from HBC a few years back - was flipping through it and it looks great.
Old 16 Dec 04, 22:44
Corporal
United_States

dougkl is on the path to success [1-99]
Ancient reading list

"The Campaigns of Alexander" by Arrian a great starting point.

"The Persian Expidition" by Xenophon This is the story of the march of the 10,000. They were Greek mercinaries who found themselves trapped in the middle of Persia when the man they were hired by was killed in battle.

These are both classics of the period and should be read by anyone with a serious interest in the ancient Greeks.
Old 19 Dec 04, 00:57
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss
Ceasar's The Conquest of Gaul and The Civil Wars are must reads for those interested in that period.
I agree. I would also add Agricola and Germania by Tacitus, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon (if you have a lot of time to spare), The Bible, and The Book of Mormon (especially the "Book of Alma"). BTW -- a lot of books on ancient times are available for free download at http://www.gutenberg.org/

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 19 Dec 04, 16:19
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos
I agree. I would also add Agricola and Germania by Tacitus, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon (if you have a lot of time to spare), The Bible, and The Book of Mormon (especially the "Book of Alma"). BTW -- a lot of books on ancient times are available for free download at http://www.gutenberg.org/
I'd agree that for eyewitness accounts Tacitus is the best (and in some cases only) choice...........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 10 Jan 05, 20:23
Lieutenant General
United_States

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Just Started Thomas Cahill's "Sailing the Wine Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter", in this, he explores the origins of the Greeks, their ascent, in government, war, art and literature. His approach is not to rehash the oft-told tales of this great civilization, but to dissect it, to appreciate it, to understand why the Greeks were who they were.

This is the fourth of Cahill's "The Hinges of History" series, and I highly recommend the others as well. They are:

I. How the Irish Saved Civilization.;
II. The Gifts of the Jews;
III. Desires of the Everlasting Hills;

V, VI and VII are to be published "in the first decade of the Twenty-First Century" and will "investigate the making of the modern world and the impact of its cultural innovations on the sensibility of the West.
Old 12 Jan 05, 23:20
Private
United_States

Joe Tex is a balanced individual [0]
Novels on Ancient History

Colleen McCullough has an excellent but wordy series on the fall of the Roman Republic. The Glossaries along are worth the cost. The first book is the best and entilted "The First Man in Rome". This in on Marius who saved Rome from the Teutons. Her central character is Julius Caesar though. All out in paperbacks now.

Another good read on Ancient Times is Nicholas Guild's "The Assyrian". I think it would have made a great movie on the order of the recent "Troy". The title says it all. Its on the Assyrians during the reigns of Sennacherib and Esarhaddon.
Old 18 Jan 05, 17:22
Guest 1

Avesome Book

Maj. Gen. Fuller's Ceasar; Man, Soldier, Tyrant

I might have got the order wrong but the title is Ceasar; .... the nouns i wrote in some order whatever..
It is an awesome book I am a great Ceasar fan and the book gave me a new perspective of his fighting his awesome dashes and foolhardy decisions... I would really like to shake Fuller s hand... Best to read it with Bellum Gallica (Conquest of Gaul)

Take Care
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Jan 05, 19:46
First Lieutenant
Netherlands

owen36 is on the path to success [1-99] owen36 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********
If possible I'd like to keep this in rough framework.

Subject/Title/Author type of deal. (If you want to put a little blurb about what it is about - that is even better)

E.G.

Rome A Noise of War A J Langguth -A Narrative historical fiction account of the Roman Civil War. Caesar, Pompey, Octavian, and the Struggle for Rome. (No idea how this book is - I have not yet read it - just saw it on my shelf and it was a convenient example).
ehh:
Keeping it to warfare and politics in general starting with 'real' histories (in other words: not the illias)
Original sources(mentioning no sources not named before)
Greek history
Thucydides: The peloponnessian war.

Roman History
Livius: Chronicles(general biased overall roman history up to early roman empire).
Plutarchus: Lives (including that of Pyrrhos, Pompeius and Crassus)
Polybius: Histories(punic wars and roman expansion).
Sallustius: The war against Jurgurtha (roman post punic republic expansion)
Tacitus: Histories, Annals, Germania, Agricola(early roman empire, conquest of britain).
Josephus: Wars of the jews(general mayhem in palestine(what else is new?))
Cassius Dio: Roman Histories (up to 3 century ad)
Ammianus Marcellianus: Historia Romana (late roman empire).
Vegetius Renatus: The Military Live of the Romans (roman military
theory around 4 th century ad).
Procopios: Histories of the wars of Justinianus(late roman empire)
Cassiodorus: Histories.

A long list:
my choice would be:
Sallustius
Tacitus
Josephus
Ammianus Marcellianus(really advisable: he was a commander himself)
Vegetius Renatus
Procopios(haven't read him).

Last edited by owen36; 21 Jan 05 at 20:12..
Old 17 Feb 05, 01:58
Lieutenant General
United_States

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Thucydides 'History of the Pelopponesian War' is a true classic. Other soldier/historians are must-reads as well (e.g. Xenophon). Not war-related, but still worthwhile for a picture of contemporary Greece are the playwrights (Sophocles, Aristophanes, etc.)
Old 15 Mar 05, 04:35
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Churchill is on the path to success [1-99]
Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World

I posted this one a few months back. It is a good basic work that provides a fairly balanced conjecture on how the Greek and Roman military systems functioned. It is published by Thomas Dunne Books, (St. Martins Press), copyright 2002, by Simon Anglim et al. ISBN; 0-312-30932-5. You might enjoy it.
Old 02 Aug 05, 07:42
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Better Late Than Never

Thought you all covered the classics well--would add Plutarch's Lives for personalities.

The Greek and Macedonian Art of War, F.E. Adcock

The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece, Victor Davis Hanson

Hoplites: The Classical Greek Battle Experience, edited by Victor Davis Hanson

The Generalship of Alexander the Great, J.F.C. Fuller

The Army of the Caesars, Michael Grant

Hannibal, Theodore Ayrault Dodge

In fiction, I liked Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire

Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 02 Nov 05 at 12:03..
Old 12 Oct 05, 20:38
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Thomas Gillis is on the path to success [1-99] Thomas Gillis is on the path to success [1-99] Thomas Gillis is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi Guys, I'm looking for any information on Roman Legions. Any stuff would be good, but especially stuff on unit histories. Any books or websites I should check out?

thanks in advance,

Tom

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!