StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 22 May 09, 07:30
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300] Cicero is on a distinguished road [300]
That looks like an Israeli Magach VII possibly in Turkish service...or to be more accurate, that my friend is a Sabra modification of Turkey's Patton tanks.

Last edited by Cicero; 22 May 09 at 07:34..
Old 22 May 09, 09:45
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
That looks like an Israeli Magach VII possibly in Turkish service...or to be more accurate, that my friend is a Sabra modification of Turkey's Patton tanks.
Great job!

It is indeed a heavily modified Turkish M60
Quote:
Turkish Army 2nd Main Maintenance Center Command is upgrading the M60A1's with a new modular armour package which is delivered to Turkey in kits by Israeli Military Industries (IMI) with technology transfer. The upgraded version retained the M60 Patton style M19 cupola with its 12.7mm M85 machine gun. This mini-turret and the Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer (CITV) allow the 12.7mm M85 MG to be fired from inside. The modernization program includes the Elbit Systems electric gun and turret drive stabilization mechanism with a new fire control system (built by Aselsan) and a new 120mm MG253 smoothbore gun (built by MKEK). In addition, the upgraded tank is equipped with thermal imaging system, an automatic fire and explosion suppression system, a threat warning system, smoke grenade launchers and a 60 mm mortar system (supplied by Soltam Ltd). The upgrade program also encompasses the Merkava Mk.IV add-on armour technology and explosive reactive armour (ERA), 1000 hp MTU Friedrichshafen diesel engine/transmission, full system modernization and integration capability, a new improved Merkava Mk.IV tracks, RWR/IR warning system and NBC protection.
Old 22 May 09, 10:02
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg name that tank.JPG (12.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 22 May 09, 11:02
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I know it's not a tank, but someone just parked a M113 Lynx outside my Workplace... in the Banking district... strange.
Old 22 May 09, 11:44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99]
I'd say that silhouette shot is a member of the Challenger family.
Old 22 May 09, 12:25
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefffar View Post
I'd say that silhouette shot is a member of the Challenger family.
It certainly is! It's the big brother, the Challenger 2. Well done
Old 22 May 09, 12:28
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
I know it's not a tank, but someone just parked a M113 Lynx outside my Workplace... in the Banking district... strange.
Is it maybe an embattled banker who feels he needs a little extra security during these times of financial upheaval
Old 22 May 09, 12:36
Captain
Denmark

That was the end of the road for this tank!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg name that tank.JPG (61.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 22 May 09, 13:14
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEP View Post

Easy. FT-17 or derivative, maybe a Fiat 3000.

Edit: infact the shape of the tracks makes me think it is a Fiat 3000.

Edit II: Ok I was wrong its an "NC-1" of the 1st Yugoslav Tank Battalion in 1941. What ever that is.

Edit III: FFS, Wikipedia says its an updated FT-17:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_D1#FT_K.C3.A9gresse

Sod it, make of what you will

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.

Last edited by Listy; 22 May 09 at 13:26..
Old 22 May 09, 13:24
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

A variant of the Renault FT tank with Kegresse suspension, sometimes known as the M28/29, as used by Yugoslavia up to the time of the German invasion in 1941.

(Listy, the NC1 had different suspension/running gear.)
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Last edited by panther3485; 22 May 09 at 13:29..
Sponsored Links

Old 22 May 09, 13:42
Captain
Denmark

Listy and Panther you both contributed equally to this one. Great team work

You were both on the right track, this tank is an Renault NC2 or FT-17 Kegresse and also know as Modèle 24/25 (in which 24 refers to project 1924 and 25 refers to the year the project was completed). In essence, the tank is an FT-17 light tank with the Kegresse suspension and a larger engine (hence the much enlarged engine deck) which delivered 62bhp.

I am quite impressed you both identified it as a Yugoslavian tank May I ask how you were able to discern that?
Old 22 May 09, 13:49
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

You were both on the right track, this tank is an Renault NC2 or FT-17 Kegresse and also know as Modèle 24/25 (in which 24 refers to project 1924 and 25 refers to the year the project was completed). In essence, the tank is an FT-17 light tank with the Kegresse suspension and a larger engine (hence the much enlarged engine deck) which delivered 62bhp.

I am quite impressed you both identified it as a Yugoslavian tank May I ask how you were able to discern that?
They're just that good!
Old 22 May 09, 13:56
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

First, could you please give a reference for the designation, Modele 24/25? My book source has it as a Modele 28/29 (as I stated above). The source is:

Page 42, 'The Renault FT Light Tank', Steven Zaloga & Peter Sarson, Osprey.

Also, another book source of mine would dispute your designation of NC2 as, according to it, the NC-2 (also designated NC31, as in 1931) had suspension & running gear very similar to the NC-1 but heavier; nothing like the Kegresse versions. That source is:

Pages 31-32, 'Tanks of the World 1915-45', Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis, Arms and Armour Press

"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Last edited by panther3485; 22 May 09 at 14:04..
Old 22 May 09, 14:07
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
First, could you please give a reference for the designation, Modele 24/25? My book source has it as a Modele 28/29 (as I stated above). The source is:

Page 42, 'The Renault FT Light Tank', Steven Zaloga & Peter Sarson, Osprey.
I got that info from a Dutch wiki website (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_D1)... But if your Osprey books says 28/29 then it's probably correct

Though, I have looked around and found a French website also dating the NC2 to 1925. If their naming procedures do indeed follow years then 24/25 would seem to make sense
Old 22 May 09, 14:10
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
While I like Arthwys' Version of events, the answer is easy. I found a website that had the front shot of the same vehicle. Then Wikipedia had the same photo. Both had a caption pointing towards Yugoslavian.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!