StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Medieval Era

Notices and Announcements

The Medieval Era Discussions on Knights and Crusaders, and all things medieval!

Old 14 Jan 18, 12:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I do prefer it over Rob Roy because the accents in the latter made the endless dialogue a bit harder to follow. But both are good shows which use the names of actual historical people and actors who are not Scottish.
Rob Roy is a good movie, too.

As for Gladiator, it's was a fantastic movie, another one of my favorites. But, it wasn't historically accurate. Here's a big, fat SO WHAT to that.
Old 14 Jan 18, 13:37
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
Rob Roy is a good movie, too.

As for Gladiator, it's was a fantastic movie, another one of my favorites. But, it wasn't historically accurate. Here's a big, fat SO WHAT to that.
I had no problem with it. I certainly did not expect anything remotely close to historical fact when I started to watch it. I was pleasantly surprised by the details they actually got right.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 14 Jan 18, 17:49
Major General
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I had no problem with it. I certainly did not expect anything remotely close to historical fact when I started to watch it. I was pleasantly surprised by the details they actually got right.
Pretty few, IIRC. Though I enjoyed it.

Cannot say the same of Braveheart which was a Gibson masterpiece of utter ****.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet
Old 14 Jan 18, 18:06
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Gladiator was essentially a remake of an earlier film The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964). Both completely historically inaccurate and implausible. Both Commodus and Maximus existed but in completely different periods - centuries apart. Maximus was indeed a Roman General who rebelled against a much later emperor, and got killed for his pains. In doing so he pulled his soldiers out of Britain putting the province at great risk. Kipling based a story on this which would have made a far better film.
Would have been a better movie if they had have shown the bit where Commodus dressed up as Hercules and clubbed midgets to death in the arena while an appalled senate watched because not turning up to his shows was a really good way to wind up in a treason trial. Truth is always more interesting than fiction.

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!
Old 15 Jan 18, 13:27
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojik View Post
Would have been a better movie if they had have shown the bit where Commodus dressed up as Hercules and clubbed midgets to death in the arena while an appalled senate watched because not turning up to his shows was a really good way to wind up in a treason trial. Truth is always more interesting than fiction.
Commodus wailing on midgets: wouldn't that have won the Cannes prize for best comedy?

When it comes to Braveheart, one side of my brain finds its historicity appalling, and its politics laughable, yet the other side of my brain finds it tremendously entertaining. I'm actually embarrassed, but damn that's a fun flick to watch. Maybe its my Pittenween ancestry doing its best to ruin me . . . .

And yes, Patrick McGoohan stole the show. He just oozed menace. Even as the warden in Escape From Alcatraz, you just knew that he spent his spare time thinking up new ways to torture the inmates. It makes sense, though, when you consider that he was born within walking distance of Christopher Walken: both natives of Astoria, Queens, NYC.

Old 15 Jan 18, 22:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
When it comes to Braveheart, one side of my brain finds its historicity appalling, and its politics laughable, yet the other side of my brain finds it tremendously entertaining. I'm actually embarrassed, but damn that's a fun flick to watch. Maybe its my Pittenween ancestry doing its best to ruin me . . . .
I'm still wondering why Scotland allowed a statue of Mel Gibson to be built & displayed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10392122_1310997260694_8082695_n.jpg (63.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 15 Jan 18, 23:27
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Did Mel pay for it?

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old Yesterday, 06:39
Major General
UK

Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Maximus was indeed a Roman General who rebelled against a much later emperor, and got killed for his pains.
The theory I read was that his character was based more on Tiberius Claudius Maximus, killer of Decebalus, but obviously the role was invented for the story.

Quote:
And yes, Patrick McGoohan stole the show. He just oozed menace.
Great actor!

Pierre Vidal-Naquet
Old Yesterday, 08:36
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
The theory I read was that his character was based more on Tiberius Claudius Maximus, killer of Decebalus, but obviously the role was invented for the story.
In the earlier film the character was named Gaius Livius

The Emperor Theodosius I 347 - 395 once had all the spectators at the circus in Thessaloníka killed in retaliation for riots, as a contemporary account said

. the anger of the Emperor rose to the highest pitch, and he gratified his vindictive desire for vengeance by unsheathing the sword most unjustly and tyrannically against all, slaying the innocent and guilty alike. It is said seven thousand perished without any forms of law, and without even having judicial sentence passed upon them; but that, like ears of wheat in the time of harvest, they were alike cut down.

Magnus Maximus who had fought with Theodosius' father against the Goths and was governor of Britain took half the British Garrison and invaded Gaul and killed Theodosius' co ruler. He conquered all the Western Roman provinces except for Italy. When he invaded Italy Theodosius defeated him and had him executed.

In Kipling's story the weakened British garrison was attacked by Saxon invaders but fought them off - partly through the use of catapults to rain down hell on them and held on until Rome sent fresh legions.

Theodosius introduced the use of Gothic mercenaries in the Roman army. After his death these started raiding the territories they were supposed to protect and the Western Empire started its rapid decline.

Many of the elements of Gladiator were present but several centuries post Commodus. I suspect that it was simplest for the studio just to use an existing sword and sandal plot from the earlier film (which bombed at the box office)

Last edited by MarkV; Yesterday at 08:43..
Old Yesterday, 14:40
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
"Use up the Irish..the dead cost nothing"

Longshanks should have had more screentime

Old Today, 03:49
Major General
UK

Quote:
Magnus Maximus who had fought with Theodosius' father against the Goths and was governor of Britain took half the British Garrison and invaded Gaul and killed Theodosius' co ruler. He conquered all the Western Roman provinces except for Italy. When he invaded Italy Theodosius defeated him and had him executed.
Does not really sound like that much of connection. Also suggestion that this chap may have been an inspiration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Nonius_Macrinus

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!