StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 14 Sep 17, 08:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post
Was ESPN celebrating it? They had him on, and social media ripped on him. I didn't see ESPN celebrating.

I think you are confusing classical liberalism with modern liberalism. FDR is a modern liberal, sure, but not Washington or Lincoln.
You and I have had this discussion before and I am not sure that you understand the difference yourself, in fact I do not believe that you do. Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers were products of the Enlightenment and were absolutely liberal for their day; most of the Founding Fathers were Deists for example. Lincoln certainly did not bear much resemblance to modern liberals, but again, during the Antebellum period the Democrats were the conservatives and I furnished four references to that effect. I will point out that Lincoln favored a strong central government and less state's rights. I will strongly encourage you to study the Enlightenment if you really wish to understand Liberalism and the Founding Fathers by turn.

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 14 Sep 17, 09:11
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post
Why do you think ESPN picked an amateur announcer who was Mexican and talked about diversity live on the air? It seems obvious that ESPN is falling into the "diverse," liberal groupthink, and will trade talent for diverse skin colors.

Do you really think his skin appearance matters? He's Mexican born and raised and his vision of America is the liberal ideal of diversity, immigration, yadda yadda. He had this "agenda" where he would be a Mexican immigrant going on the opening MNF game, talk about diversity, and be a hero for it. You can hear the excitement in his voice. But social media ripped on him because he sucked, and he went on a rant about being a minority.
It might be that ESPN doesn't have a say in who their reporters are or what they cover. Remember ESPN is owned by Disney now. They call the shots.
Old 14 Sep 17, 14:27
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
You and I have had this discussion before and I am not sure that you understand the difference yourself, in fact I do not believe that you do. Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers were products of the Enlightenment and were absolutely liberal for their day; most of the Founding Fathers were Deists for example. Lincoln certainly did not bear much resemblance to modern liberals, but again, during the Antebellum period the Democrats were the conservatives and I furnished four references to that effect. I will point out that Lincoln favored a strong central government and less state's rights. I will strongly encourage you to study the Enlightenment if you really wish to understand Liberalism and the Founding Fathers by turn.
How could the Founding Fathers and Abraham Lincoln be modern liberals if modern "liberalism" didn't exist? "Liberalism" in a modern sense does not mean improvement, enlightenment, or democratic. It's just a word that describes certain political beliefs of the 20th century, namely racism and the welfare state. Planned Parenthood is "liberal," the Holocaust and Stalinist Russa were fringe left events. And as you've never studied the origins of modern liberalism, I suggest you read about racism and who the early racists were. Yes, they were the highly educated men and women of the late 19th century who called themselves "Progressives." Leading Confederates such as Alexander Stephens were among this elite, modernly liberal group.

George Washington is a classical liberal in that he supported a Republican government, but he was a conservative in that he believed in aristocratic rule, and you could argue he was conservative because he opposed Thomas Jefferson's agrarian society. In other words, there's no way to call Washington a modern "liberal" because it wouldn't make any sense.

Lincoln was similar. He supported the fiscal-military state, opposed slavery..you get the idea-he wasn't a "liberal"

You need to drop your agenda of hijacking the Enlightenment for modern "liberals," it's wrong and stupid.

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"
Old 14 Sep 17, 14:28
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
It might be that ESPN doesn't have a say in who their reporters are or what they cover. Remember ESPN is owned by Disney now. They call the shots.
I hope that's right; I don't want ESPN getting political. But I doubt it has that little control over who it's reporters are. And if Disney did interfere, that would mean Disney is getting political, which is even worse.

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!