StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 27 Mar 11, 00:47
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Battle Cry and Other ACW Boardgames

Seeing that, so far anyway, the PC gaming community hasn't delivered any new wargames in anticipation of the 150th anniversary of the ACW, I've been thinking about jumping into ACW boardgaming again. With that in mind, can some recommend a good title? I'm looking for something that is easy to play and can be played solo. Any suggestions?

I've been hearing good things about the re-release of Battle Cry. How is it? Can it be played solo?

PS: One addendum: Nothing too expensive. Up to $50 is about what I want to spend.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Mar 11, 12:18
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
Seeing that, so far anyway, the PC gaming community hasn't delivered any new wargames in anticipation of the 150th anniversary of the ACW, I've been thinking about jumping into ACW boardgaming again. With that in mind, can some recommend a good title? I'm looking for something that is easy to play and can be played solo. Any suggestions?

I've been hearing good things about the re-release of Battle Cry. How is it? Can it be played solo?

PS: One addendum: Nothing too expensive. Up to $50 is about what I want to spend.
Battle Cry is easy. Maybe too easy. Its like rolling for sixes, although there are some tactical nuances to it. I much prefer the CWB system (brigade level) by The Gamers (part of MMP). They are revamping their regimental level system with their soon to be released game of Antietam, None But Heroes. If that's a bit much, I also like GMT's Glory system. Any of those systems are good on a solitaire level. GMT also puts out a good system on the regimental level, the GBACW (Great Battles Of the ACW), their most recent release being Dead Of Winter about Stones River.
Old 27 Mar 11, 16:02
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Okay, thanks! I'll check out those titles.

Anybody care to recommend any minis rules?
Old 27 Mar 11, 16:50
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
For miniatures I would suggest Johnny Reb. It is a reasonably easy system to learn and plays out with decent accuracy.
Old 27 Mar 11, 19:59
Captain
United_States

Great! Thanks!
Old 29 Mar 11, 21:19
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I agree with Battle Cry being easy....I've actually not playe that one, but I own and play Memoir '44 and it plays bery well solitaire.
Old 30 Mar 11, 10:55
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I remember A House Divided being pretty good, but I haven't played it in a while....

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!