StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Africa

Notices and Announcements

Africa Issues of modern Africa.

Old 05 Nov 08, 21:13
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100] BriteLite has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
Hell no, NOT our problem!

Let the old colonialsts clean thier mess up.

Or better yet, let the Africans, for ONCE, make just one thing better, or at least as good, as it was when the damn Imperialists were running the show.

Better yet, why dont the people who have been whinning for years about how Evil and terrible America is go take care of it?

I advocate Fortress America, and not a penny for foreign aid until after we can balance our budget.
I would like to see the US cut foreign aid drastically which would be a great start for balancing the budget. Plenty of AMERICANS in need of a variety of services. Accessible medical/prescription care, Veteran services, college etc to name a few. And I don't mean creating a welfare state. If a person is abusing the system by living off the government then they are violating the spirit if not the law and should be disqualified. I am referring to citizens who make the effort and deserve a fair shake regarding what is basic subsistence in today's world.

I am sympathetic to world problems. How much foreign aid actually reaches those in need? Are there checks/balances in place to make certain monies are properly accounted for? How much foreign aid does the US supply and to who?

While I rant where can one find financial info regarding the UN? Who are it's financial contributors and how much? Is the US paid rent for the building space? How does the US benefit for being one of it's major members?

I am all for Fortress America. Let us solve our internal socio/economic issues with a balanced budget before underwritng foreign aid.
Old 06 Nov 08, 02:29
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
What "gains" were there in Vietnam??????....rice???
Vietnam was an idiotic decision anyway regreted by every country (Western!) that took part in it. As Afgahnistan will turn out to be! Ask the Ruskies in the finish they could not get out quick enough!!
Old 06 Nov 08, 17:38
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Cutting US aid to the world would cut a lot of its influence. This would harm its position as the world superpower. China would simply fill the gap.
Moreover aid comes in different forms. One such as tied aid is more beneficial to the donor nation than the nation that receives it. Tied aid can have requirements such as a hotel must be built (return on investment) this puts the money back into the US economy. This is an old practice done by many nations and there has been attempts to get rid of it. There is also military aid which can be used to help keep a nation on your side from falling to insurgent/enemy forces and thus maintaining your influence in that area.

'Empire' nowadays involves having 'influence' in different nations around the world. This can be done in many ways; such as flooding a nation with money or arms. For example take a look at the military aid given to Latin American nations to help fend off Communist insurgents and thus losing it to the USSR.
Old 06 Nov 08, 18:06
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
Hell no, NOT our problem!

Let the old colonialsts clean thier mess up.

Or better yet, let the Africans, for ONCE, make just one thing better, or at least as good, as it was when the damn Imperialists were running the show.

Better yet, why dont the people who have been whinning for years about how Evil and terrible America is go take care of it?

I advocate Fortress America, and not a penny for foreign aid until after we can balance our budget.

Better take another look. The USAFRICACOMMAND recently went operational. Four Star command with the purpose of helping Africa.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 06 Nov 08, 19:28
Private
United_States

anselmo1 is on the path to success [1-99]
I think Belgium should send their forces into the Congo to quell the disturbances. France has done this with great success in Chad and Mauritania.
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Nov 08, 00:57
Banned
New_Zealand

apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
NONE of the worlds main powers are very interested in African problems, Probably because there is no possible obvious lucrative gains to be had there.If that was not so they would have jumped to the poor peoples aid long ago!!
China is. Actually I've been amazed at the extent of Chinese involvement in Africa. There are now more Chinese in Nigeria than there ever were under the British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWO View Post
Is this the former Belgian Congo/Congo/Zaire/Congo? Seems to me the Belgians have some sort of strong moral obligation.
I think the Belgians are having enough trouble trying to keep their own country together - with Flemish vs Walloons - let alone worrying about Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -snafu- View Post
Cutting US aid to the world would cut a lot of its influence. This would harm its position as the world superpower. China would simply fill the gap.
Most US aid goes to Israel. I can't see them stopping that - even if it means borrowing from China.

I agree with those posters who are against involvement - Africa is not our problem. We attempted some civilising missions in the past - with a singular lack of success. No good turn ever goes unpunished.

Last edited by apteryx; 16 Nov 08 at 01:00..
Old 16 Nov 08, 01:08
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apteryx View Post
China is. Actually I've been amazed at the extent of Chinese involvement in Africa. There are now more Chinese in Nigeria than there ever were under the British.

I think the Belgians are having enough trouble trying to keep their own country together - with Flemish vs Walloons - let alone worrying about Africa.

Most US aid goes to Israel. I can't see them stopping that - even if it means borrowing from China.

I agree with those posters - Africa is not our problem. We attempted some civilising missions in the past - with a singular lack of success.
One reason the U.S. gives so much aid to Israel could be because the U.S. probably has one of the largest population of Jews outside of Israel. This is not a jab at the Jewish nation in general and if I am wrong I will apologise quite willingly.
Old 16 Nov 08, 01:16
Banned
New_Zealand

apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99] apteryx is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
One reason the U.S. gives so much aid to Israel could be because the U.S. probably has one of the largest population of Jews outside of Israel. This is not a jab at the Jewish nation in general and if I am wrong I will apologise quite willingly.
The United States has lots of Africans but they get relatively little aid. I think the crux is that the Jews have so much influence. I don't blame them. They're just looking after their own though I sometimes wonder whether American foreign policy isn't just Jewish foreign policy.

Last edited by apteryx; 16 Nov 08 at 02:15..
Old 16 Nov 08, 07:13
Australia

Quote:
The United States has lots of Africans but they get relatively little aid. I think the crux is that the Jews have so much influence. I don't blame them. They're just looking after their own though I sometimes wonder whether American foreign policy isn't just Jewish foreign policy.
Well you have just made the point i was a little reluctant to voice in case I was called racist,Yes many of the rich people have also a lot of influance and are also of the Jewish faith and I do not blame them for pulling out all the stops for their own people, I would probably do the same. You referring to the Africans getting very little aid comes back to an earlier letter of mine regarding the African problems, what swings the aid in favour of any particular country is the age old question, "Whats in it for us?"
Old 16 Nov 08, 09:31
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:

Regardless if most of their aid goes to Israel, cutting it to Africa would loose influence. Giving aid to a country can bring lots of benefits such as oil drilling rights and other such things. Africa has lots of natural resources.
Old 16 Nov 08, 15:46
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The UN has been going great guns in the Congo over recent years. There was some photo's/footage of the Swedes prodding buttock a while back. A bandit company got squished by a Swedish CV-90 Platoon, after kicking off on one of the main roads. I dare say the rest of MONUC is doing the same.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 18 Nov 08, 02:08
Banned
New_Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by -snafu- View Post
Regardless if most of their aid goes to Israel, cutting it to Africa would loose influence. Giving aid to a country can bring lots of benefits such as oil drilling rights and other such things. Africa has lots of natural resources.
I'm not sure what benefits America has gotten with its aid to Israel.
Old 18 Nov 08, 07:33
Australia

Quote:
I'm not sure what benefits America has gotten with its aid to Israel.
You realy don't know? Internal Financial and Political backing of which ever Party is in power!!
Old 19 Nov 08, 04:25
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
IF we are the peoples we say we are we would have been there, in force, years ago. One, one multi national division would go a long way in solving some problems or at least providing the security for the locals to solve their problems. France, Belgium, Britian, Portual have a moral interest in solving some of the problems they left behind. As far as the US. We might provide support in massive amount with naval and air units but the feet on the ground well have to come from Europe.

Well said! Just once I would like to see someone stick up for the little guy when it isn't in their best interest.
Old 19 Nov 08, 21:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
During one of the debates Obama mentioned sending helicopter for transporting some UN peace keepers in Africa.

One thing to always rember is the US give alot aid in various forms to Africa. I can not rember the numbers at the moment but if i rember right is that it equaled the next five countries in aid contributions.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!