StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 13 Aug 07, 16:00
First Lieutenant
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99]
it might be worth looking at what is hanging round his neck
Old 13 Aug 07, 16:21
Major General
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Actually Ian, I was concentrating on that large star shaped thing on the bottom right hand corner of your larger photo. I was working on the premise that he was a member of the lucky sperm club (ie nobility).

The thing on the chain looks like the peur du merite (sp?) plus he's got an iron cross. So I would assume German or AH.

What's got me confused is that some medals looked like they are British (to me anyways). Don't tell me that this guy was working both sides of the fence!!!
Old 13 Aug 07, 16:38
First Lieutenant
UK

Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99] Druid_Ian is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
Actually Ian, I was concentrating on that large star shaped thing on the bottom right hand corner of your larger photo. I was working on the premise that he was a member of the lucky sperm club (ie nobility).

The thing on the chain looks like the peur du merite (sp?) plus he's got an iron cross. So I would assume German or AH.

What's got me confused is that some medals looked like they are British (to me anyways). Don't tell me that this guy was working both sides of the fence!!!
Its not the blue max (Pour le Merite) and the star on his chest is related to the cross round his neck
Old 13 Aug 07, 19:29
Major General
Canada

Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Ian, I'm just about ready to give up but I am almost convinced now he is British Nobility. The star on his chest and the chain, plus there seems to be a crown medallion from the front of his collar, all match up to King George V's uniform.

Is this King George V prior to beard and WW1? Being pre-ww1 might explain why he is also wearing iron cross. I can't recall ever seeing him without beard though.

If not, you're going to have to toss me another bone.
Old 14 Aug 07, 10:02
Major General
Canada

Ian, you clipped the larger picture so I wouldn't see the Cross of St. George, didn't you? Also explains why the first full length photo was so small. You sneaky bugger!

I've seen plenty of pictures of QE II with the star (still don't know what it's called) and that is why top portion showing looked familiar. I didn't put 2+2 together for a while because of the iron cross but then I read KG-V had to relinquish all German titles and styles at the start of WWII. Thus began the house of Windsor.

Non-beard is still casting doubts for me though.
Old 14 Aug 07, 13:08
First Lieutenant
UK

Quote:
Ian, you clipped the larger picture so I wouldn't see the Cross of St. George, didn't you? Also explains why the first full length photo was so small. You sneaky bugger!

I've seen plenty of pictures of QE II with the star (still don't know what it's called) and that is why top portion showing looked familiar. I didn't put 2+2 together for a while because of the iron cross but then I read KG-V had to relinquish all German titles and styles at the start of WWII. Thus began the house of Windsor.

Non-beard is still casting doubts for me though.
he is not British by a long way
Plan on looking for a Prussian
Old 14 Aug 07, 15:21
Major General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid_Ian View Post
he is not British by a long way
Plan on looking for a Prussian
I had looked up German nobility earlier when i was concentrating on the iron cross aspect. Might even say I went cross-eyed. Couldn't find any matches. There seemed to have been certain facial similarities to King George which makes sense considering most (?) of the royel houses were related. I found pictures of King George V and Tsar Nicolas II together and you would swear they were twins. Decorations also seem to have certain similarities. Kaiser Willhelm II is a little more distinct beacuse of the handlebar mustache.

I know I'm probably going to be embarressed as to how obvious the answer should have been but I will find this guy.
Old 14 Aug 07, 17:19
First Lieutenant
UK

here is another photo of the mystery man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg another photo.jpg (42.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 15 Aug 07, 11:32
Major General
Canada

Alfred von Schlieffen Argggggghhhhhh!!!!

I'm definately going to be held back a grade
Old 15 Aug 07, 13:22
First Lieutenant
UK

Quote:
Alfred von Schlieffen Argggggghhhhhh!!!!

I'm definately going to be held back a grade
well done thought I might have given it away with "plan on looking for a prussian" I would give you some more rep but the site wont let me

Ian

Old 15 Aug 07, 13:50
Major General
Canada

Quote:
I would give you some more rep but the site wont let me
I'm still fairly new to site and not sure what this means?
Old 15 Aug 07, 17:09
First Lieutenant
UK

Quote:
I'm still fairly new to site and not sure what this means?
See the row of green dots below the number of posts you have made, top right of each post you currently have somewhere around 700 to find pout exactly how many click on user cp on the toolbar.

this will tell you who has given you reputation and also why
its a way of giving praise for good posts you can also take points away for bad posts

to giive rep (good or bad) by clicking on the YinYang symbol on the relevent post

the more rep you have the more you give
Old 01 Sep 07, 18:21
Gunnery Sergeant
Italy

Warlord is on the path to success [1-99] Warlord is on the path to success [1-99] Warlord is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's another mysterious fellow:

Last edited by Warlord; 01 Sep 07 at 18:24..
Old 03 Sep 07, 18:19
Gunnery Sergeant
Italy

Warlord is on the path to success [1-99] Warlord is on the path to success [1-99] Warlord is on the path to success [1-99]
No idea? Ok, here's an aid...he was an italian general. His figure has been connected to a terrible episode on italian front.
Old 03 Sep 07, 18:33
First Sergeant
Pirate

M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99] M.Joensen is on the path to success [1-99]
Field Marshal Luigi Cardorna

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!