StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War I

Notices and Announcements

World War I The war to end all wars.

Old 20 Sep 05, 03:54
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Is it the Martin MB-1 aka Glenn Martin Bomber?

Old 20 Sep 05, 04:03
Captain
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99]
Nope. The roundel under the right wing should give you a clue as to the nationality of the airplane...
Old 20 Sep 05, 04:14
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Even after you pointing it out I can hardly see it, it looks like the french roundel, plus I should have looked to the men in the picture. They're using a very particular barret.
So is it the Spad VII?

Old 20 Sep 05, 04:28
Captain
France

nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99] nemo is on the path to success [1-99]
Indeed the aircraft is French-made. But it's not a SPAD VII nor XIII. One last hint: this was the first model of a famous aircraft company to reach the production stage. As it turned out, the first production airplane rolled out of the factory on November 11th, 1918!
Old 22 Sep 05, 05:01
Captain
France

Any takers? The aircraft company was named after its founder. A noteworthy point [hint, hint ] is that he changed his name altogether after WW2 and so did his company.
Old 22 Sep 05, 05:32
Major
UK

Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Sea I

Its an SEA I, produced by Société d'Etudes Aéronautiques. Designed by Marcel Bloch (later Dassault) and Henri Potez. I thought it first flew in 1917 though! The first production SEA IV flew on 11/11/1918.

See:

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/pas...916_1945_a.cfm

Andy"Weeble" Weaver
Old 22 Sep 05, 06:16
Captain
France

Yeah, right on!
Excellent job as you've even spared me the effort to throw in the link
Old 22 Sep 05, 06:21
Captain
France

As it stands, it's not the SEA I but the SEA IV depicted here. Apparently, the I and IV models were similar enough to have the people from Dassault confused as the same picture is supposed to represent both.
Old 22 Sep 05, 07:25
Major
UK

Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Sea Iv

The link I posted shows the SEA IV with Henri Potez standing in front of it. That engine looks bigger than the one in your original post. The SEA I had a 120hp engine and the SEA IV a 370hp or 350hp "Lorraine".

I see I forgot to give Louis Coroller his design credit, along with Bloch & Potez.

I see that Dassault don't know the difference though!

Andy
Old 05 Oct 05, 07:27
Major
Canada

horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99] horatio_nelson is on the path to success [1-99]
Next picture anyone?

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Oct 05, 08:56
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

Ok, how about this fellow?

Old 06 Oct 05, 19:11
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia

Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99]
Is he British Luis ? Any clues ?
Old 07 Oct 05, 08:34
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

He's not english and in order to make it easier on everyone, I'll give the country away.
He's portuguese, go figure why I peaked him...

Old 10 Oct 05, 00:20
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia

Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99] Avalon is on the path to success [1-99]
LoL.. Portuguese.. should have figured that Luis

Okay we'll have to work on this some more, hmmmm...
Old 10 Oct 05, 06:31
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

He was one of the gratest portuguese military commanders of all times, and almost for sure the best one on the WW1 period.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!