StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Feb 15, 15:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
Jim Rose and Brant Guillory (a.k.a. BayonetBrant) both ran their personal fora into the ground. However, even Rose was never pathetic enough to go around the internet begging for people to visit his site once he had destroyed it. That will always place him a step ahead of the Grogheads (a.k.a. Son of Wargamer) site.

You say that you have the game. We should have a battle. I know you said that you did not want to invest a great deal of time in a potentially failed game system. However, I will say that I am not a very good land combat game player but was able to learn enough to get into this game within about 20 minutes. An experienced player like yourself should probably take even less time. The basic quick start manual is only 20 pages or so of easy reading.

I suggest that you might want to try the game with the current v2.08 instead of waiting for the v2.09 release. I am told that there are some changes in v2.09 that may re-introduce the "Headless Chicken Dances" that were pretty much removed in v2.08. This is the behaviour whereby opposing units try to run away from each other as soon as they detect an enemy unit. I hope that it isn't that bad, but I prepare for the worst and am rarely disappointed.
The latter part reminds me of CM. Some of the retreats in CMx1 were ridiculous, not to mention they were psychic (retreat from a good side shot when the target's TC decided to engage but before the physical vehicle showed a reaction).

I hope you don't under-estimate how bad memory I have If it makes heavy use of random icons it can be very hard for me to learn. I'll have a look Saturday.

There must be a way to un-wedge some of this deep pit that wargaming is in. I don't think we can count on Matrix (which then includes wargamer) or BFC. You would think that available software tools would make a pass at an open source game possible. But my attempts so far uncover a lot of ugliness in the tools, too. They have a lot of hardcoded things in there for other game types.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!