StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 30 Jan 15, 00:16
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
The scenarios, in particular, are in pretty bad shape from the constant swings of the artillery effectiveness pendulum. I suspect that they were only tested when the game first released, as they seem not to have changed since then. The scenarios that actually rely heavily upon artillery to work are lop-sided affairs. They swing between 'winnable' and 'impossible' with each patch.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 31 Jan 15, 13:48
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
A new video for [FPC] Dawn's First Light (MP) - USSR has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel. This video covers Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.

You can watch [FPC] Dawn's First Light (MP) - USSR

This video includes detailed discussion of game bugs such as the Time Reversal bug, Failed Orders bug, and the Failure to Re-supply bug.

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ
I'll tell you up front that I noticed very few bugs. Most of this stuff appears under the hood.

The game has gone from highly addictive and very fun to even more realistic, addictive, and fun.

Herman has done a fine job of cataloging some of the bugs in this - and other - games. The problem is his delivery is so abrasive that after a while it no longer comes across as constructive criticism and instead turns into harassment of the developers. There comes a point when his input is no longer welcome. He had - and still has - an open forum at Grogheads. However, he was recently requested by the mod team to change his tone and deliver his comments in a less destructive and more constructive tone.

That apparently struck a nerve because he has since gone to several other websites on a rant against the devs. <shrug>

He hasn't been banned, but apparently it struck a nerve to be asked to be, well, nice on the internet. An outrageous request, I know.

To answer the question posted GCoyote, the game has always been stable. I never had any crashes or instability. Herman may be remarkably talented at trying every possible permutation of events to trigger some kind of bug, but quite honestly I'll tell you if you buy the game you won't be disappointed. The devs are quite responsive to the community. Instead of listening to one guy rant over here, how about you head over to the most active community for the game and ask around for yourself?

It's right here:

The thread that got out of control is here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7155.0

Now that thread is 90 pages (and locked). It goes back some way, but round about page 88 you'll see the grownups start posting: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.ph...0666#msg320666

And the bug reporting thread is here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12322.0 It's amazing how quiet it got after Herman left...

Lastly, if you're not satisfied by what you find in any of those, I guarantee that opening a new thread and asking around will be well received by both the community and the mods.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 31 Jan 15, 14:40
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlade View Post
I'll tell you up front that I noticed very few bugs. Most of this stuff appears under the hood.
Not noticing does not mean they aren't there or aren't significantly affecting the game.

If players don't care that about seeing enemy units as they appear on the board, their units refusing to re-supply, units that never respond to orders, air strikes that crash the game, the inability to log into the PBEM++ server,... then this game is for you. When even the newliest noob can find this stuff, you know there's a problem with the game.

The only thing I care about is accuracy. There has yet to be an instance of any of bug reported by me ever to dis-proven. The developers may not wish to change anything, but all the behaviors reported are always accurate and verifiable.

There isn't much discussion of FPC anywhere. The developers got their wishes and just desserts. No one is talking about their game at all.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 31 Jan 15, 14:57
Lieutenant General
United_States

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
There isn't much discussion of FPC anywhere. The developers got their wishes and just desserts. No one is talking about their game at all.
You're right. Most folks are just enjoying playing it.

After 90 + pages of discussion on the game I'm not sure what else there is to talk about.

But as I said: if anyone wants to ask questions about how playable/stable/whatevz it is, Grogheads is THE place to do so.

Old 31 Jan 15, 15:01
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
You're right. Most folks are just enjoying playing it.
Well, with the notable exception of the latest Steam customers who seem to be unable to get into the PBEM++ online server most of the time.

When 60 out of 90 pages are bug after bug after bug, I suspect that developers just want it to go away, along with all discussion of their game. Well done. GrogHeads (er, I mean Son of Wargamer) is an utter joke.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 31 Jan 15, 15:10
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
GrogHeads (er, I mean Son of Wargamer) is an utter joke.
Excellent. The argumentum ad hominem. You win. I'll leave you to rant here by yourself.

Old 31 Jan 15, 15:37
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Excellent. The argumentum ad hominem. You win. I'll leave you to rant here by yourself.
More correctly, GrogHeads has been left to rant amongst themselves; twice as as bad as Wargamer in half the time.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 31 Jan 15, 17:12
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
When 60 out of 90 pages are bug after bug after bug, I suspect that developers just want it to go away
Quite the opposite. They were nothing but accommodating of your continued badgering. They responded to your bugs and went out of their way to ask for clarifications over and over. One of them was quite miffed at us when he found out you were on a 30-day vacation.

When one of the devs took a few weeks off from everything - coding, general discussion, Origins planning, etc - because his daughter was undergoing some medical issues, you accused them of ignoring your bug reports.

When it was pointed out that there was a separate thread opened specifically for bug reports, you tried to accuse the devs of censorship despite the fact that it wasn't the devs asking you to shift location.

The devs actually stepped in on your behalf and noted that they didn't care where the bugs showed up.

So your continued hostility to the developers of an excellent wargame is just so irrational as to be completely mind-boggling.

But it's not about the developers, is it.
You could easily email / PM your bug reports to them.

It would take all of 30 seconds to shoot a PM to any of the dev team and ask for an email address to send the bugs.

I'm not the only one to notice that you're not really interested in just reporting the bugs to the developers

Your sidekick admits that you have a "full list" of bugs ready to go.
OK, fine, so email them to the developers so they can get to fixing.
But you're not going to do that, are you?
Because the rest of the world can't see you email stuff to the devs, or play "gotcha" when they don't "fix" something to your satisfaction.

You're going to rant and rave about censorship - despite not having been censored and actually having been given your own thread to report the bugs, and encouraged by the devs to continue doing so.

You're going to claim the devs don't want to hear about the bugs, despite them specifically telling you to keep them coming, them opening a specific thread for them, and their responses to bug reports from you, and others.

You're going to claim that you're just trying to make the game better, but you guys admit to sitting on lists of bugs to release them as you go, demonstrating that it's not really about making the game better, but about calling attention to yourself.

It won't be long before Vincenzo pops up, either. He won't have a word to say about the game - he never actually discusses the games, does he? - but he'll try to ride to your rescue because heaven help you if you have to try to actually answer for your duplicitousness yourself.

And after you have no legs left to stand on, because all of your contrite claims have been blasted into rubbish, you're going to (again) devolve into name-calling and ad-hominem attacks, because that's all you're left with.

It's a great game. It could be better if you were more concerned about helping fix problems than worrying about who gets the credit for them (h/t Harry Truman)

But you just can't help yourself, can you.
Old 31 Jan 15, 17:35
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
When one of the devs took a few weeks off from everything - coding, general discussion, Origins planning, etc - because his daughter was undergoing some medical issues, you accused them of ignoring your bug reports.
How laughable. A 9-month holiday? The bug was reported in March 07, 2014 and the discussion took place in January 02, 2015. As usual, the facts do not fit the claim and I only deal in fact.

Quote:
When it was pointed out that there was a separate thread opened specifically for bug reports, you tried to accuse the devs of censorship despite the fact that it wasn't the devs asking you to shift location.
Translation: when the developers tried to pander to a bunch of loudmouth hooligans and try to hide the problems in another area, I refused to go along and continued to post bugs in the normal thread.

Quote:
The devs actually stepped in on your behalf and noted that they didn't care where the bugs showed up.
More to their credit. They didn't care where the bug reports appeared. The developers seemed quite happy to accept them wherever I posted them.

Quote:
But it's not about the developers, is it.
You could easily email / PM your bug reports to them.

It would take all of 30 seconds to shoot a PM to any of the dev team and ask for an email address to send the bugs.
Actually, the bug reports were handled directly, until the developers decided to take everything public. That's fine. Once they decided to do that, they got all their feedback in public. Of course, since you were never party to those exchanges, you are clueless; just as you are now.

Quote:
You're going to rant and rave about censorship - despite not having been censored and actually having been given your own thread to report the bugs, and encouraged by the devs to continue doing so.
I will continue to rant and rave against sanctimonious hypocrites wherever they are found.

I will stand up to all who try to terrorize or intimidate others, whether by bullet, bomb, pen, or keyboard.

GrogHead (Son of Wargamer) management does not even rise to the level of 'joke'. Page after page of invective is hurled at me with no administrative action whatsoever taken towards the offender. When regular members (people I don't even know!) take matters into their own hands out of frustration and confront the offenders, they are, in turn, attacked by the administrators. Grogheads is utterly contemptible.

I am Charlie.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Last edited by Herman Hum; 31 Jan 15 at 18:24..
Old 01 Feb 15, 20:40
Captain
United_States

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Gary, Redwolf, if you want to give the game a whirl, there's a don't-call-it-a-demo-but-it's-a-demo you can download and play for free here
http://grogheads.com/?p=3459

It's a full version of the game, with only 1 scenario in the installer. It was the one we used for a contest last year over at GH. If you like the game, you should be able to upgrade from within the downloaded version of the game.

If you've got questions, the devs are very active at Matrix (as you'd expect) and GrogHeads, where they seem to hang out just for fun. They're more than happy to answer questions for you in as much detail as you want.

Old 02 Feb 15, 11:23
Lieutenant General
United_States

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Gary, Redwolf, if you want to give the game a whirl, there's a don't-call-it-a-demo-but-it's-a-demo you can download and play for free here
http://grogheads.com/?p=3459

It's a full version of the game, with only 1 scenario in the installer. It was the one we used for a contest last year over at GH. If you like the game, you should be able to upgrade from within the downloaded version of the game.

If you've got questions, the devs are very active at Matrix (as you'd expect) and GrogHeads, where they seem to hang out just for fun. They're more than happy to answer questions for you in as much detail as you want.
I already own the game. The question is an investment of time. I have a serious problem with Matrixgames. They don't enforce quality for the games coming through them. Their forums matrixgames and wargamer.com are both garbage software, the guy behind "tech support" for the forums is a classic ticket-closer. You can never find out what's going on with the games they publish. All their games are old-style registry keylocked so I can't use them like I use most of my other games, which is from a random computer around the house from a network drive. That's not the way to survive in 2015. And I don't want to make a time investment into yet another failed game system.

The buyout from the British company Slitherine has done even more harm and now I am very reluctant.

Herman, what other forums are you active on? As you say, grogheads is only an improvement because most other wargaming forums are even more screwed up now.
Old 05 Feb 15, 17:05
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
Herman, what other forums are you active on? As you say, grogheads is only an improvement because most other wargaming forums are even more screwed up now.
I'm active wherever the games in which I have an interest are discussed, primarily GameSquad, ACG, SubSim, Usenet, and SimHQ. I'm even on a some Spanish, Italian, and Russian fora.

Btw, whatever happened to Storm Eagle Studios and Jim Rose? IIRC, he was all over the internet ranting and raving to stifle criticism and dissent, just like the Grogheads (a.k.a. Son of Wargamer) owner. At least he was funny. I thought he eventually started up his own forum and locked out everyone who didn't first purchase his game.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 06 Feb 15, 06:11
Brigadier General
Canada

In direct response to a request from Harry Wilding:

Quote:
"Any chance of you playing the New scenario January 1962 Rumble on the Grabfeld Plain from the forums ?"
a new video for [FPC] Rumble on the Grabfeld Plain has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel. This video covers Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.

You can watch [FPC] Rumble on the Grabfeld Plain

This video includes discussion over the Map Crash bug, the PreGame Detection Issue, and many other problems.

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon HUE users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 07 Feb 15, 10:36
Lieutenant General
United_States

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
I'm active wherever the games in which I have an interest are discussed, primarily GameSquad, ACG, SubSim, Usenet, and SimHQ. I'm even on a some Spanish, Italian, and Russian fora.

Btw, whatever happened to Storm Eagle Studios and Jim Rose? IIRC, he was all over the internet ranting and raving to stifle criticism and dissent, just like the Grogheads (a.k.a. Son of Wargamer) owner. At least he was funny. I thought he eventually started up his own forum and locked out everyone who didn't first purchase his game.
Those guys made their own forum, then still couldn't communicate with their customers (the paying ones, because they were upset about the assumed non-paying ones). Total publishing suicide. Now it's dead without trace.
Old 07 Feb 15, 16:05
Brigadier General
Canada

Jim Rose and Brant Guillory (a.k.a. BayonetBrant) both ran their personal fora into the ground. However, even Rose was never pathetic enough to go around the internet begging for people to visit his site once he had destroyed it. That will always place him a step ahead of the Grogheads (a.k.a. Son of Wargamer) site.

You say that you have the game. We should have a battle. I know you said that you did not want to invest a great deal of time in a potentially failed game system. However, I will say that I am not a very good land combat game player but was able to learn enough to get into this game within about 20 minutes. An experienced player like yourself should probably take even less time. The basic quick start manual is only 20 pages or so of easy reading.

I suggest that you might want to try the game with the current v2.08 instead of waiting for the v2.09 release. I am told that there are some changes in v2.09 that may re-introduce the "Headless Chicken Dances" that were pretty much removed in v2.08. This is the behaviour whereby opposing units try to run away from each other as soon as they detect an enemy unit. I hope that it isn't that bad, but I prepare for the worst and am rarely disappointed.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!