StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Military Reenactments

Notices and Announcements

Military Reenactments Reenactors help to preserve our heritage by recreating and sharing the past.

Old 10 Jul 14, 15:39
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
That's the Marine Corps dress uniform. Current issue. The old weapons are because its a precision drill team-you need weight and heft.
Points still stand - the dress uniform of the Guards is red tunic and Bearskin - it's not for historical entertainment. Why's that man with aviators still got a hat like Custer though, with what is surely not his dress uniform?
Rifle drill with a bolt-action is nice for the Edinburgh military tattoo but again, makes as much sense as the rest of this stuff. - not much in sheer rational form - it's a cultural thing, a social artifact. Not unimportant, but still not removed from the side of military behavior which is ' a litany of goofy hats in private, goofy hats in public, goofy hats everywhere. '

Is this the unit you mentioned earlier? http://www.first-team.us/assigned/subunits/1cd_hcd/

Quote:
The IDF is unique in its challenges, and a young military.
It is indeed, and it has, unlike other military forces established in the past 60 years, managed to avoid much in the way of pomp, circumstance and ceremony. Again, like I said, good reasons why and why not.

Quote:
They didn't have the advantages the US did of beating the greatest superpower in the world as a starting point for their undertaking.
You flatterer, you; in 1776 the British Empire was no superpower.

Quote:
Also they do seem to have a tradition of their female soldiers posting photos that appears to be well-entrenched.
goodo.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 11 Jul 14, 12:28
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
In that hypothetical you could join the que to take the **** behind my father; and he was in the Angle Bangles. I don't think I'd be able to take any such unit seriously - when you were in the mob how would have felt if one day your CO suggests that today you'll be doing musket drill and anyone found laughing at the tricorner hats will be told off. Parade at 0600 for instruction in biting your cartridges and priming the pan? 'Get knotted sir' is the answer, I'd hope, and let it ne'er get past a funding committee.

If they made it volunteer with free beer afterwards then the whole battalion would volunteer, actually the whole british army would.
There are some units that do the redcoat stuff, my old regiment being one of them.
Old 11 Jul 14, 12:34
England

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
So now I have to foot the bill for Tom's beer too? where's the profit?
Let Re-en-actors do it for free/'fun'.

What did you do when in red coat?

Old 11 Jul 14, 12:53
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
What do posters feel about re-enactment societies?

Quote:
So now I have to foot the bill for Tom's beer too? where's the profit?
Let Re-en-actors do it for free/'fun'.

What did you do when in red coat?
You could foot my beer bill if you want, my last beer session cost me nearly £200

I wasn't daft enough to volunteer.
I have been quite harsh on re-enactors but I will admit that in certain circumstances they do play an important part in showing history.
I think the problem is that 90% of the enactors I have met are complete knobs and all speak like mr bean.
If the guys going it weren't so full of themselves and didn't take it to the extreme I could accept that.
With the centenary of the start of World War One approaching it should be interesting to see what happens on the re-enactment society.
I think that a firepower demo with period weapons would be better but that obviously has it's drawbacks, even though I think it would improve Luton near to where I live
Old 11 Jul 14, 13:03
England

Whilst I don't doubt most of the reenactors you've met have been knobs, I'd sooner have a bunch of free knobs than a potentially expensive state-ran counterpart consisting of soldiers whose job is not to wear, in 2014, a tricorner hat, for the purposes of entertaining the public with historical drill and exercises. That such things may be a by-product of a given unit's traditions is to be accepted, not encouraged at cost to the tax payer. The Israeli citizen doesn't have to pay for such things, even the British one, at the moment, does not have to pay to keep a museum unit* and all the bumf and crowd fodder for the tourists is run-off from other activity.

*Oh wait, we do: Victory is public funded

Old 11 Jul 14, 13:12
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Whilst I don't doubt most of the reenactors you've met have been knobs, I'd sooner have a bunch of free knobs than a potentially expensive state-ran counterpart consisting of soldiers whose job is not to wear, in 2014, a tricorner hat, for the purposes of entertaining the public with historical drill and exercises. That such things may be a by-product of a given unit's traditions is to be accepted, not encouraged at cost to the tax payer. The Israeli citizen doesn't have to pay for such things, even the British one, at the moment, does not have to pay to keep a museum unit* and all the bumf and crowd fodder for the tourists is run-off from other activity.

*Oh wait, we do: Victory is public funded
Different situations. The Israelis draft, the Brits apparently have no trouble recruiting (or have longer-serving soldiers). The USA always has to work to keep the ranks full. Something around 75%+ of the US military are single-termers serving a 2-4 year enlistment.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 11 Jul 14, 13:17
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Different situations. The Israelis draft, the Brits apparently have no trouble recruiting (or have longer-serving soldiers).
Actually the despotic Empire's regulars have not been signing up to bayonet colonists in the usual droves for some time.
Most recently; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25688136

I mean what'd be the point in this day and age?

Quote:
The USA always has to work to keep the ranks full. Something around 75%+ of the US military are single-termers serving a 2-4 year enlistment.
British Army average enlistment is not that different; http://www.parliament.uk/documents/j...of_service.pdf
The proper service is even shorter. What the ratio is of careerists I don't know though.
What I'm interested in though, is why that means the unit such as the one fielded by the Cavalry is necessary. I'm not against the existence of such a unit, it must exist for a reason and no doubt a good one. Goofy hats aside I am sure it is an admirable piece of military culture and dialogue with John Public, but does it serve as an attraction to gain/maintain recruits/short-termers?

Old 11 Jul 14, 13:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
What I'm interested in though, is why that means the unit such as the one fielded by the Cavalry is necessary. I'm not against the existence of such a unit, it must exist for a reason and no doubt a good one. Goofy hats aside I am sure it is an admirable piece of military culture and dialogue with John Public, but does it serve as an attraction to gain/maintain recruits/short-termers?
Apparently. Enough to justify the expenditure for at least thirty years.

The US military is very PR-savvy, or at least it has been in the post-Vietnam era.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 12 Jul 14, 17:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
US ceremonial units that are active are the 3d US Infantry (Old Guard) at Forth Myer, Virginia, and the Marines at 8th and I Streets in Washington DC at the Marine Barracks. They are active duty soldiers and Marines who are serving a tour of duty there. My older brother served a 3-year tour at 8th and I after returning from Vietnam.

The West Point Corps of Cadets is also a ceremonial parade unit.

None of the above are reenactors.

There is also a US Army demonstration unit at Fort Sill that uses horse drawn artillery. They too are not reenactors, but active duty soldiers.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 12 Jul 14, 18:30
Major
UK

My great uncle once said to recreate his experiences in WW2 you could either sit on a hole in the ground smoking players while having water poured over you, or sit on a hole in the desert smoking players while getting heatstroke.
Bet you won't see that side of re-enactment shows
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Jul 14, 06:32
Major General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensman View Post
My great uncle once said to recreate his experiences in WW2 you could either sit on a hole in the ground smoking players while having water poured over you, or sit on a hole in the desert smoking players while getting heatstroke.
Bet you won't see that side of re-enactment shows
I like it! Have you ever seen a reenactor with the runs crapping into an open latrine pit? Hell, even if his uniform smells like that I'd be impressed. That's the realism we need.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey
Old 14 Jul 14, 08:34
Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukka View Post
I like it! Have you ever seen a reenactor with the runs crapping into an open latrine pit? Hell, even if his uniform smells like that I'd be impressed. That's the realism we need.

What I would like to see is a bunch of guys doing a re-enactment in Northern Ireland, going through the creggan estate avoiding the washing machines and other missiles launched of the balconys at them, having kids throw bricks and bottles at them and old ladies spit at them.
Or some guys doing a Vietnam re-enactment trying to avoid the booby traps and all the other nasty suprises.
It's a pity they only do popular history and not all the other nasty stuff where soldiers died in the line of duty
Old 25 Jul 14, 20:07
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
If one wants to play infantryman, then I suggest they join up and do it for real. Dig a hole, jump in and stay there for a few weeks. Yeah, it's a blast. If it rains or snows, enjoy.
Old 25 Jul 14, 20:27
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormack View Post
If one wants to play infantryman, then I suggest they join up and do it for real. Dig a hole, jump in and stay there for a few weeks. Yeah, it's a blast. If it rains or snows, enjoy.
Exercise instead of exhibition! Fox-holes instead of fetes! You must be joking. You'd need a JCB to dig in some of those sad f*****s

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 26 Jul 14, 03:29
Major General
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300]
I like good re-enactment societies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
Exercise instead of exhibition! Fox-holes instead of fetes! You must be joking. You'd need a JCB to dig in some of those sad f*****s

Paul
What in the world is a 'JCB'?

I know I started this thread coz I'm a bit puzzled about SOME re-enactment societies....but sheesh you people are incredibly hard on the whole phenomenon.

Come on folks, they're just guys and (some) gals interested on history like you and me.

When I worked for the Australian national archival authority we had a high-school senior with us for work experience.
She belonged to a group called the Society for Creative Anachronism! (or something similar).

It was a Medieval / Dark Ages re-enactment group and she was very knowledgeable re that period and said, if you ignored the ribbing about geekiness from outsiders, it was a fantastic fun!
Had she put her mind to WWII history she would have mastered it easily I'm sure.
Give the good ones (straight -up history buffs) a break!

Lodestar possessed not one redeeming virtue, nary a one!
Neither honesty, honour or humanity did he have.
Generosity, courage, kindness, loyalty and perseverance were not in his canon.
Moderation, frugality, diligence and humility were to, him utterly alien.
His epitaph, should it ever be written eons from now will read “Truly he was life unworthy of life!”

Make way for lodestar!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!