StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Military Reenactments

Notices and Announcements

Military Reenactments Reenactors help to preserve our heritage by recreating and sharing the past.

Old 07 May 14, 06:45
Major General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
No, surely he wishes to understand what it was like to be a soldier/warrior from a given time and place.
If I was desperate to learn what it was like to be, say, a bowman at Agincourt or Knight at Poitiers, would I be better following A, or B, of the following methods:

A. buy horse (if knight), armour, appropriate weapons as determined by interest, take HEMA lessons, find like-minded individuals and discuss with them, go on camps which mimic the equipment available, read up on the period.

Or
B.Join the TA and spend some time learning how to drive HGVs around Humberside, clean an SA80A2 and go on adventure training in Canada.

This dude jousts at Leeds Armoury for the public entertainment. He has the kit, the horse, etc, He has studied HEMA. He is a re-enactor much like probably most others, who probably do not claim to actually be 'like soldiers'. Yet, how much of what he's doing in that picture is dependent on him servicing Apache Longbows or standing in a hut outside RAF Scampton?

I would beg to differ on fellow above being a reenactor. He is participating in the excellent sport of jousting, and it is just as much of a sport today as it was back on the field of the cloth of gold. He is participating in a real sport with real competition and real results.

Ps my hometown will be hosting a jousting completion (along with rodeo and 3 day eventing, gymkhana, tent pegging ect ) this weekend at our local horse festival, and I'll be there watching with bells on.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey
Old 07 May 14, 07:13
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
I'd agree - to an extent - if he were wearing modernised armour and his equipment were sporting grade of current standard, and if the 'theatre element' weren't there. When I've seen the jousting at leeds there's often a lot of additional 'theatre' to immerse you into the traditions of jousting, to 'take you back' to the field of cloth of gold and its like.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 07 May 14, 07:30
Major General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400] Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
I'd agree - to an extent - if he were wearing modernised armour and his equipment were sporting grade of current standard, and if the 'theatre element' weren't there. When I've seen the jousting at leeds there's often a lot of additional 'theatre' to immerse you into the traditions of jousting, to 'take you back' to the field of cloth of gold and its like.
Two points sir, firstly as far as modernised armour goes, there is nothing better than steel and leather for protecting your body against the terrific force that a lance could inflict. Fibreglass just wouldn't cut it.

Secondly, theatre is, was, and will always be a part of sport.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Last edited by Chukka; 07 May 14 at 07:36..
Old 07 May 14, 07:34
England

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukka View Post
Two points sir, firstly as far as modernised armour goes, there is nothing better than steel and leather for protecting your body against the terrific force that a lance could inflict. Fibreglass just wouldn't cut it.
A fair point but I'm sure there are modern materials and at least, modern aesthetics which could replace those of antiquity

Quote:
Definitely, but it is the particularly historical character of that theatre which bleeds re-enactment into jousting. This is in my opinion no bad thing.

Sport and re-enactment, in that sense, need not be mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Selous; 07 May 14 at 07:41..
Old 07 May 14, 09:23
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
How about renaming the hobby to 'Live action modelling'. That way you can drop the pretence to educational value or 'honouring the soldiers' and just enjoy it.

Advertising the ideal of a good, clean war to teenagers does nobody any good.
Good ideas and valid points.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 07 May 14, 18:47
Major General
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300]
lodestar on reenactments......If he speaks, it matters!

Hmmm haven't looked at this thread-starter of mine for a while.
Interest piqued again when I recently saw some reenacters doing their bit around ANZAC Day.

Harmless stuff as most things in Australia are!

However as I said in my OP, OTHER Reenacters do worry me.

Has anybody had personal experience with the following:

"But what’s with these guys depicting the SS or other Axis units of dubious distinction?
I recall a few months ago someone surreptitiously taped a gathering of some SS re-enactors in the UK. One of them is distinctly heard making some pretty damning comments about ‘Pakis’ or blacks along the lines of how he’d like to deal with ‘those’ kind of people. [/B]
In other words he said what you’d expect someone from the friggin’ actual SS to say!Don’t know what happened but I imagine recruitment to the re-enactment group did not go up."

Who’d want to join something like that? Very strange.

Even someone choosing to depict confederates in an ACW Society makes me smile ruefully.

Myself, if I ever joined, would avoid WWII and the ACW altogether. Ancient era yep, Mediaeval up to and including WWI fine.

I wonder if anyone will ever attempt a Vietnam War era re-enactment theme. Now that would be gutsy!

This has been a good thread. ........So far.
Regards lodestar
Old 07 May 14, 18:53
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar View Post
I wonder if anyone will ever attempt a Vietnam War era re-enactment theme. Now that would be gutsy!

Venerable and majestic lodestar, he who dreams and yet does not sleep, prince of knowledge and sultan of wisdom

There are Vietnam re-enactors, I remember seeing some at the KM War and Peace show, they took it in turns to wear the black pajamas and coolie hats and/or the US gear. The group had a half-track with AA gun on the back and had set up a 'tunnel experience' for the kids to crawl around in.

Your snivelling and lowly servant,
unimportant.

Old 07 May 14, 20:34
Banned
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Venerable and majestic lodestar, he who dreams and yet does not sleep, prince of knowledge and sultan of wisdom

[...]

unimportant.
Reminds me of the Screwtape Letters. Wonderful. [:-)
Old 07 May 14, 22:10
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

There are Vietnam re-enactors, I remember seeing some at the KM War and Peace show, they took it in turns to wear the black pajamas and coolie hats and/or the US gear. The group had a half-track with AA gun on the back and had set up a 'tunnel experience' for the kids to crawl around in.

unimportant.
I have an edition of the (was) excellent Military Illustrated magazine where they had a 'live' reconstruction of a black M60 machine gunner during the 1968 Tet Offensive. It showed how he looked up to and including using his army issue green towel as a sweat cloth (I'll post the Pictures if anyones interested). The article also showed the rations and other personal equipment that was commonly carried ( Including Playboy magazines); nothing wrong with 'living' history.

Now that is all well and good imo, to be at an event and to see people in the uniform & equipment of the day and showing how things worked, the personal items etc, but when they start traipsing about a battlefield pretending to be those that actually were there (The Vietnam re-enactors have no chance of defiling 'their' battlefields), the self same place real soldiers were killed or wounded in their thousands, is beyond the pale.

I have been asked on many occasions and by many people to go to the 200 anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo next year (I had been invited to past anniversaries too), and I have told them straight that I just hate the whole sorry, nasty circus. I am going to visit the site next year for the first time but I am going alone in May and intend to walk the areas of Quatre Bras, Ligny, Genappe, Mont St Jean then Wavre; all the Better if the heavens open up as I leave Genappe. When I get to the field of Waterloo, the first thing I will do is reflect on what it must have been like on that terrible day, do my tour of the field, then before I leave I will reflect again and if I have tears in my eyes, all the better. I would much prefer sadness in reflection than to be there on the anniversary and be bloody angry.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 07 May 14, 23:45
Major General
Australia

lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300]
lodestar speaks (that's all you need to know)

Quote:

unimportant.
See!! .....this is a little more like it!

This 'unimportant' Selous bloke really gets it. No matter how many times I hear this kinda stuff it still warms my heart.

Think I'm gonna develop some slogans for students to chant when I get into assistant tutoring again.

Getting them to refer to themselves as 'snivelling and lowly' servants may be a good start.

Followed by some of my ACG taglines they can at times chant in unison.

Which do you think I should get them to chant in first semester?

. “One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one
comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the
quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.”

. “Well, I could go on and on. The sound of my own prattling is simply the
sweetest sound in the world!”

. “lodestar has spoken and a universe trembles."

. “When lodestar does not post many peoples’ lives feel desolate and empty
When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR”

. “Lodestar’s stupidity and ignorance amazed virtually everyone: for the
first twenty years of his life he believed a Manilla Folder referred to a
Filipino contortionist!!”

. "Lodestar possessed not one redeeming virtue, nary a one!
Neither honesty, honour or humanity did he have.
Generosity, courage, kindness, loyalty and perseverance were not in his
canon.
Moderation, frugality, diligence and humility were to, him utterly alien.
His epitaph, should it ever be written eons from now will read “Truly he
was life unworthy of life!
Make way for lodestar"

Be interested in your input, seriously about the suitability of reenactments as tute sub-theme subject on whether they are an example the 'commercialisation' and 'dumbing down' of history in general and military history in particular?
Look forward to hearing from you.

. “The first five of a planned fifteen volume set covering the life of lodestar are now available from this publisher:
Vol.1 The Stars Beget a Son
Vol. 2 Anvil of Destiny.
Vol. 3 The Hammer of Power
Vol 4. Road to Greatness
Vol 5. The High School Years

Regards lodestar
Sponsored Links

Old 08 May 14, 07:23
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post

Now that is all well and good imo, to be at an event and to see people in the uniform & equipment of the day and showing how things worked, the personal items
This has been most of my experience of witnessing such groups, and when I've seen the mock battles it hasn't been on the actual battlefields, but I do not doubt that does happen at all, I've seen pictures of the Normandy beaches with restored armoured vehicles and crews in period guise.

I've nothing wrong with re-enactors even showing, say, marching drill or firing with their muskets or rifles etc. section level tactics for the crowds, at an event like the KM War and Peace show.

But many battlefield sites are monuments and it doesn't come across as sensible or respectful to walk around monuments or reenact battles on them.

Old 08 May 14, 07:37
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar View Post

Which do you think I should get them to chant in first semester?
When dealing with the lower orders, Oh Great One, the simpler the better; perhaps a chant along the lines of 'Lodestar; King among men' or your 'lodestar has spoken and a universe trembles."

Quote:
Be interested in your input, seriously about the suitability of reenactments as tute sub-theme subject on whether they are an example the 'commercialisation' and 'dumbing down' of history in general and military history in particular?
Look forward to hearing from you.
In my experience of leading and partaking of tutorials the best thing to do is heap as much responsibility on the students. It encourages initiative and means you have to do less. Setting out sub-themes may make it too rigid and structured for people to introduce new ideas, if they're adhered to too closely. If the discussion...'flows'...that way then of course discuss it but if it doesn't it may only be worth the briefest of exchanges from you and one or two students.

If you're keen to use it as a subject of discussion, then you may have to mention its positives of interesting people in history and making it 'accessible' to John public.
My field isn't quite the same and doesn't deal with the perception of history though so it's very much just a layman's opinion on whether to include or not _ I can see the value of it as an example for the discussion at large but wouldn't focus too much on it.

Old 09 May 14, 14:46
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:

The only thing that cannot be faithfully reproduced for a 'modern jousting knight' who has the funding, is his horse. The medieval 'war horse' is extinct - hunters are lighter and dray horses are heavier.
Old 15 May 14, 13:10
Colonel
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
I think the reeenacting thing is a glorification of war. Anybody who wants to be an SS man is a moral imbecile.

And the image of a middle aged man with a beer gut pretending to be a US Paratrooper is laughably ridiculous.

Jousting? I'm with that. That's for real- you can actually get killed doing that. I'd pay to watch that.

Last edited by globetrotter; 15 May 14 at 13:19..
Old 17 May 14, 06:05
General of the Forums
England

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
Jousting? I'm with that. That's for real- you can actually get killed doing that. I'd pay to watch that.
Love it, proper straight talking Aussie, I only go to the Speedway to watch the crashes!!!

And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!