StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Military Reenactments

Notices and Announcements

Military Reenactments Reenactors help to preserve our heritage by recreating and sharing the past.

Old 08 Jan 13, 21:13
Major General
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300]
What do posters feel about re-enactment societies?

Most of you are no doubt aware of these groups in your own countries and I’ve often wondered about them over the years.

I’ve got a very small collection of C20th militaria, mostly passed down through the family (souvenired German WWI items, French stuff etc) and have a general (and I hope simply healthy) interest in personal military equipment or ‘kit’ as the Brits sometimes call it.
But I’ve never had the slightest inclination to join a society and act out some military encounter, display the items I have at a militaria ‘fair’, or even swap info on ‘the net’ with others about what I have.

But I am interested in what motivates guys (and gals!) to join some of these societies whether or
not in some cases something a little worrying is going on.

Now I can understand people having some fun with a Medieval re-enactment club (Vikings, Saxons, archers, Knights, jousts, feasts Etc), an Ancient Civilizations club (Egyptians, Greeks Romans et al)
World War One I’m fine with. Always saw that conflict, at least on the Western Front, despite its attendant horror and carnage as basically A ‘clean’ war (well that’s a poor choice of words I suppose but you know what I mean!)
Some WWII re-enactment activity also seems like fairly harmless ‘fun’ at least on the allied side. There are for example numerous associations portraying units from the 82nd Airborne.

Now I know re-enactors have been used in feature films, some documentaries and also appear at fairs, festivals etc. That I guess is providing a service and helps people understand and appreciate history.

But what’s with these guys depicting SS (!) or other Axis units of dubious distinction?
I recall a few months ago someone surreptitiously taped a gathering of some SS re-enactors in the UK. One of them is distinctly heard making some pretty damning comments about ‘Pakis’ or blacks along the lines of how he’d like to deal with ‘those’ kind of people.
In other words he said what you’d expect someone from the friggin’ actual SS to say!Don’t know what happened but I imagine recruitment to the re-enactment group did not go up.

Who’d want to join something like that? Very strange.

Even someone choosing to depict confederates in an ACW Society makes me smile ruefully.
Anyway I promised myself I’d keep this brief so over to you guys.
Regards lodestar
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Jan 13, 21:24
Colonel
United_States

Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99] Hetzer 15 is on the path to success [1-99]
I think reenactment is fine and I'm all for it! I like going to see and look at the time and energy these people put into it.

But I also wonder about the SS thing as well, or Waffen SS, or other groups that were, well, like you say...dubious.

I have seen it carried to,far as well with the death head emblem and other items like rings and armbands and the like. Some of it is taken to far.

I don't need to see a reenactment of the Malmedy massacre to know it happened...
Old 08 Jan 13, 21:46
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]

Old 08 Jan 13, 23:58
Major General
Australia

lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300] lodestar is on a distinguished road [300]
Re-enactors! They're everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post

Errr..... say no more.
But the pictures remind me of a worrying development in military history publishing.
A few months ago I noticed a newstand copy of Strategy & Tactics or The World At War magazine featured an article about some WWII East Front battle.
There were a couple of pitures of German infantry platoons and accompanying captions saying something like 'German infantry on the march in Poland late 1944' or some such.
Well even a cursary examination of the photos made it quite clear they were modern day re-enactors!
Bloody outrageous! What a sad development for the once proud S&T masthead. Hpe ACG never does anything like that!

Regards lodestar
Old 09 Jan 13, 00:41
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700] Scott Fraser is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post

OMG! There really IS a Sergeant Schultz!

Regards
Scott Fraser

A contentedly cantankerous old fart
Old 09 Jan 13, 01:54
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700] BELGRAVE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
You did say WW1 re-enactment societies, no ?

The best, in my view is the Light Horse Society based on Creswick, Vic.Fine horses, meticulous uniforms, proper weapons:- the works.

http://creswicklighthorse.com/

www.lighthorse.org.au/

Last edited by BELGRAVE; 09 Jan 13 at 02:06..
Old 10 Jan 13, 21:38
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash is a jewel in the rough [500]
flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post

Regards
Scott Fraser
The fat bloke in the blue pyjamas has got room for another 6 ammo pouches.
Snipers dream he is.
Aaaaah bless him!
Old 03 Apr 13, 23:45
General
United_States

SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400]
SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400] SGT Long has a spectacular aura about [400]
When I first got on Facebook, I discovered individual units had their own pages, so I went through a number of former units I had been with.

Including Aco 1/15 INF.

Wasnt until I was approved I took a closer look at it. It was all in Czech. (WTF, thought I. This is a 3d ID unit at Benning.)

Seems it was a Czech reenactor bunch dressing up as this unit. Not even the WW2 era 1/15 either. they were wearing BDUs and proudly taking pictures of TA-50 layouts,etc.

I shared a few photos of the real 1/15 with them from op southern watch but never heard back from any of them.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727
Old 10 Apr 13, 15:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Long View Post
When I first got on Facebook, I discovered individual units had their own pages, so I went through a number of former units I had been with.

Including Aco 1/15 INF.

Wasnt until I was approved I took a closer look at it. It was all in Czech. (WTF, thought I. This is a 3d ID unit at Benning.)

Seems it was a Czech reenactor bunch dressing up as this unit. Not even the WW2 era 1/15 either. they were wearing BDUs and proudly taking pictures of TA-50 layouts,etc.

I shared a few photos of the real 1/15 with them from op southern watch but never heard back from any of them.
You should have taken it a step further by sending them deployment orders to Trashcanistan.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 10 Apr 13, 15:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
"Pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind here.

I have mixed emotions about them. I have a few friends that do an excellent job at living history.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jan 13, 21:52
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500] flash is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:

Regards
Scott Fraser
Snipers dream he is.
Aaaaah bless him!

On a more serious note though.I think it must be difficult not to get "into character" as the thespians would say.
If I put it on I might invade Poland.
No sane person would support nazi views but I can't see wearing a fake SS uniform causing any problems.
I'm sure that wearing an Old Guard uniform and waving an eagle about in 1875 would have raised a few eyebrows.
I myself have built many model vehicles with runes on them and I think they look great,wearing a uniform could be considered as taking things a step further than that.
I detect a whiff of political correctness about this thread,do we erase the SS from history?Already we see kit manufacturers omitting swastikas from box art!!!
What's that all about?
Old 10 Jan 13, 22:43
General of the Forums
England
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Snipers dream he is.
Aaaaah bless him!

On a more serious note though.I think it must be difficult not to get "into character" as the thespians would say.
If I put it on I might invade Poland.
No sane person would support nazi views but I can't see wearing a fake SS uniform causing any problems.
I'm sure that wearing an Old Guard uniform and waving an eagle about in 1875 would have raised a few eyebrows.
I myself have built many model vehicles with runes on them and I think they look great,wearing a uniform could be considered as taking things a step further than that.
I detect a whiff of political correctness about this thread,do we erase the SS from history?Already we see kit manufacturers omitting swastikas from box art!!!
What's that all about?
I'm not against people posing as Waffen SS or Mongul horse archers, It's when they want to go around like they 'are' said military and start playing war just like 'real sowjers' that grips my s#1t

Paul
Old 11 Jan 13, 04:33
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Already we see kit manufacturers omitting swastikas from box art!!!
What's that all about?
My understanding is that it's so their products can be legally displayed and sold by licensed retailers in the few countries that ban public display of the swastika. So in the countries where it isn't a problem (which is most), we have to put up with a black rectangle or suchlike on WW2 German aircraft tailfins, instead of a swastika, in the box art.

I've not great objection, so long as the decal sheet inside the box includes proper tailfin swastikas so I can build and finish my WW2 German planes to a historically correct appearance.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 12 Jan 13, 08:23
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
My understanding is that it's so their products can be legally displayed and sold by licensed retailers in the few countries that ban public display of the swastika. So in the countries where it isn't a problem (which is most), we have to put up with a black rectangle or suchlike on WW2 German aircraft tailfins, instead of a swastika, in the box art.

I've not great objection, so long as the decal sheet inside the box includes proper tailfin swastikas so I can build and finish my WW2 German planes to a historically correct appearance.
Agreed entirely but don't you think some people take things a bit far regarding historical motifs?
Not withstanding that it represented a repugnant regime, nevertheless it is a historic symbol and in my view shouldn't be omitted or obfuscated in any way.
It's the first step on the way to future historians coming to terms with nazism, much as present day historians seem to consider Napoleon to be a benign presence in history.
Old 19 Apr 14, 14:41
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:

Regards
Scott Fraser
Nah, they are enacting a late war 'Stomach Battalion' - middle aged, unfit and often with gut issues.

Here in the UK I enjoy watching Sealed Knot enactments, and the Medieval stuff other groups get up to.

The Royal Armouries site in York put on outdoor displays and battles and jousting from various times in history.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!