StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Dec 08, 08:05
General
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
In memory of Gaz aka Allsirgarnet: ACG Waterloo Campaign

I'm happy that various members have expressed interest in the idea. I'm also very willing to moderate it, unless someone else has a burning desire to, in which case i'll take a command instead.

In the past games i've done which range from Napoleonics through ACW to WW2, i tend to keep things simple and flexible so as to maximize the fun. An aspect I do emphasise is command and control linked with intelligence to simulate the fog of war.

One idea for an online version like this is the use of IM's to pass information to either side, after which orders can be issued through a chain of command. For example, I'll provide the army commander with intel, and they will issue written orders through me by IM unless their subbordinates are present (orders limited to say 50 words to make it interesting). This will of course depend on commanders being honest if apart on the campaign, so that limited communications (through me) are maintained until they meet (when they can IM freely). Note also that intel on the enemy will only come through me (by IM) or posted freely as general rumours for both sides. Commanders will then have to decide the truth or oherwise of the intel they get.

Example...

The member playing Napoleon recieves in intel IM about Prussian dispositions. The member playing Ney (who is separate from Napoleon at this time) recieves other intel by IM from me. Finally general rumours are posted in the thread.

Napoleon can now send orders to Ney through me via IM. Ney can send intel to Napoleon via IM through me. Both can separately state their own intentions as orders to me and i'll make them happen.

Now as you can see, the result may be very realistic with inaccurate intel, false rumours, unclear orders, commanders acting on initiative and many other things. Hopefully this will add to the fun and the realism, but anyone elses ideas are most welcome!

Waterloo seems a good campaign to start with, for its fairly small and well documented. So to get things running and to see if the ideas/concept works, we will need generals for the three armies. Members can agree between themselves who should take which post on merit etc. For ease of play as this is my/our first game, can I suggest we keep the historical army organisations? If so then we need...

French

Napoleon
(Soult)
Ney
Grouchy
(Corps Commanders)

Allies

Wellington
(Muffling/DeLancey)
Orange
Hill
Uxbridge
(Corps Commanders)

Prussians

Blucher
(Gneisenau)
Zieten
Pirch
Theilmann
Bulow

OK, now its upto you for suggestions, comments and applications for commands.

Good luck

Commanders Applications

D'Erlon (Fr) I Corps - Legate
Reille (Fr) II Corps - Post Captain
Lobau (Fr) VI Corps - General Brock
Ney (Fr) Wing Command - Zouave

Orange (Al) I Corps - Torien
Hill (Al) II Corps - Captain General

Blucher (Pr) C-in-C - Captainsennef
Zieten (Pr) I Corps - Grognard

Gaz

Last edited by Stratego; 24 Jul 12 at 15:25..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Dec 08, 08:37
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Gaz -

Sounds like fun just to let you know I have not done this before but will try, if Lobau's IV Corp is open I will try it, remember be easy on me I am a rookie.

Regards
James
Old 21 Dec 08, 08:45
General
UK

allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700] allsirgarnet is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Example of game play...

Post Captain is playing as Gen. Reille commanding French II Corps.

At the game start, using IM's and/or open replies in the thread the French commanders discuss their grand strategy. Napoleon or whoever is playing him then issues his campaign orders (no word limit as all generals are present). Post Captain then leaves (in game) to join his Corps.

As the game turns (historical hours/2 hours?) pass Post Captain will recieve an IM update on any events he or his Corps witness. He may send Napoleon (through me) a 50 word message on anything he thinks important and likewise Napoleon can do the same. Post Captain may also engage in battle on his own, issuing his own battle instructions as he sees fit.

Remember that if member players are away from each other IN GAME, they should refrain from sending IM GAME SPECIFIC info to each other. Only when their generals actually meet in game should they feel free to do so, since in game those generals would chat face to face.

Note that sending and recieving messages takes time and so if Post Captain does meet an enemy, it will take a while for his messages about it to Napoleon to arrive (if at all).

If you have any suggestions, comments please send them.

Gaz

Last edited by allsirgarnet; 21 Dec 08 at 09:01..
Old 21 Dec 08, 09:22
General
UK

Example of open rumours...

Campaign start...

For the French...

Allied cavalry pickets seen on the north bank of the Meuse, west of Charleroi.

The citizens of the city of Charleroi are ready to declare their loyalty for the Emperor.

The main Allied forces are encamped between Mons and Brussels.

A large social gathering in Brussels within the next few days is expected to attract most of the Allied generals.

For the Allies and Prussians...

Large French forces have been reported near Givet, Mauberg and Lille.

Normal day to day crossings of the border by civilians has declined.

French cavalry seen near Charleroi.

Napoleon reported to have left Paris for Lyon.

Regards

Gaz
Old 21 Dec 08, 10:59
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gaz,
Are you going to see how many join before giving commands, because if we do not get enough players, i can take one of the wings, probably Ney.

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 21 Dec 08, 11:01
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As requested by Gaz, an example of how an order could look like, if anybody can think of a better way, please post your idea.

Sire,
General Pire's cavalry have this morning taken possession of Gossellies, General Foy's division is following in close support to Pire. Bonaparte and Bachelu are following Foy.
The only troops thus far encountered were about 500 Dutch light cavalry with 650 Dutch light infantry in support, who were seen falling back to a crossroads called Quatre Bras.

General de Division Honore Reille
GOC II Army Corps
Gossellies

Admiral Lord Nelson

Last edited by Post Captain; 21 Dec 08 at 11:10..
Old 21 Dec 08, 11:03
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Captain View Post
Gaz,
Are you going to see how many join before giving commands, because if we do not get enough players, i can take one of the wings, probably Ney.
No problem mate, though I am assuming that those already listed as commanders in the ACG army will have both the ability and the inclination to prove themselves here in action?

Gaz
Old 21 Dec 08, 11:55
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Is Zeiten's Prussian Corps still open, or any Prussian corps? I'm not sure I'm up for Blucher
Old 21 Dec 08, 13:40
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsirgarnet View Post
Waterloo seems a good campaign to start with, for its fairly small and well documented. So to get things running and to see if the ideas/concept works, we will need generals for the three armies. Members can agree between themselves who should take which post on merit etc. For ease of play as this is my/our first game, can I suggest we keep the historical army organisations? If so then we need...

French

Napoleon
(Soult)
Ney
Grouchy
(Corps Commanders)

Allies

Wellington
(Muffling/DeLancey)
Orange
Hill
Uxbridge
(Corps Commanders)

Prussians

Blucher
(Gneisenau)
Zieten
Pirch
Theilmann
Bulow

OK, now its upto you for suggestions, comments and applications for commands.

Good luck

Commanders Applications

Reille (Fr) II Corps - Post Captain
Lobau (Fr) VI Corps - General Brock

Gaz
I would like to command one of the French Cavalry Corps. Is it possible? I guess not, the Reserve Cavalry ( 4 cavalry corps ) came under the direct command of Napoleon. It wouldn't be so much fun.

Vive l'Empereur!

Last edited by Zouave; 21 Dec 08 at 13:43..
Old 21 Dec 08, 14:09
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Brock View Post
Gaz -

Sounds like fun just to let you know I have not done this before but will try, if Lobau's IV Corp is open I will try it, remember be easy on me I am a rookie.

Regards
James
Same here, I do have some experience with tactical games, but I don't have any experience with this kind of game ( operational or strategic ). Please, go easy on me.

Also, keep in mind that I'm traveling and don't have my books with me. I'm going to have to rely on my memory and the internet for info ( maps and other stuff ).

Last edited by Zouave; 21 Dec 08 at 15:10..
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Dec 08, 15:28
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Alte Vorwärts

Loking good Gaz!
Love to play Marshal 'Alte Vorwärts' Blücher.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 21 Dec 08 at 15:34..
Old 21 Dec 08, 15:33
General
UK

A few things we need while the commands are taken.

1... A decent map or two of the campaign area.

2... OOB's for the three armies (in 1000's) and the command structure down to division level for each (incase of detachments).

Anyone help with these?

Thanks

Gaz
Old 21 Dec 08, 15:41
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
Same here, I do have some experience with tactical games, but I don't have any experience with this kind of game ( operational or strategic ). Please, go easy on me.

Also, keep in mind that I'm traveling and don't have my books with me. I'm going to have to rely on my memory and the internet for info ( maps and other stuff ).
Theirs no pressure involved, the main thing is to have fun! If we need to change things to help members do so, then no problem.

I've given you Grouchy to play Zouave, so that as a Wing Commander he can in theory command all the cavalry (from memory, wasn't he quite a good cavalry commander in previous campaigns?). I suggest that once someone takes Napoleon, you should suggest to them the use of the cavalry Corps En Masse.

Regards

Gaz
Old 21 Dec 08, 15:42
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsennef View Post
Loking good Gaz!
Love to play Marshal 'Alte Vorwärts' Blücher.
Done and Done.

Gaz
Old 21 Dec 08, 16:02
General
UK

Commanders so far...

Post Captain

General Brock

Zouave

Captainsennef

Grognard

Legate

Captain General

Torien

Gaz

Last edited by allsirgarnet; 22 Dec 08 at 01:51..
Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!