StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 05 Apr 06, 07:14
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Digby Smith's Napoleonic Wars Databook is a must have. It lists virtually every battle, not just the ones napoleon commanded with OBs and casualties.
Old 05 Apr 06, 13:15
Captain
Powflag
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99] Consul is on the path to success [1-99]
I would also highly recommend Pieter Geyl's book Napoleon: For and Against.

Consul
Sapere aude
Old 05 Apr 06, 17:44
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99] alanp is on the path to success [1-99]
I found Napoleon and His Collaborators by Isser Woloch to be excellent. Not as much on his battles if that's your main interest, but great for learning how and with whom he got the power he had.
Old 09 May 06, 05:09
Corporal
United_States

outline is a balanced individual [0]
The best $40 you can spend on the subject

1. Napoleon's Battles: A History of His Campaigns ($26 amazon delivered )
by Henry, Lachouque

2. The Napoleonic Source Book ($14 amazon delivered)
by Philip J. Haythornthwaite
Old 09 May 06, 15:00
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored Links

Old 10 May 06, 15:24
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99] Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99] Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99]
There's Tons of Good Stuff

Alistair Horne's Age of Napoleon is new in paperback and is a great overview of the period and the Napoleonic legacy in nineteenth century Europe. The others off the top of my head I remember the titles not the authors. The book, Three Napoleonic Battles, looks at Napoleon's changing generalship through time, Austerlitz, Freiland, and Waterloo. It is a standard text for course work in Revolutionary France. The Russian historian of the revolutionary/Napoleonic era Zaprowski (I think I spelled that right) wrote the excellent Moscow 1812 and uses alot of previously overlooked Russian archive sources. There is also a great book I read last summer by a historian that teaches at the war college at Leavenworth; Robert Epstein Naopeon's Last Victory and the Emergence of Modern Warfare. This is an excellent look at organizational issues, e.g. organization of corps by Napoleon and his opponents, campaign planning at the stategic and tactical level

Last edited by Roadblock; 10 May 06 at 23:31..
Old 19 Jun 06, 20:48
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Here's one for our side of the Atlantic that will undoubtedly be of interest to Canadians, Americans and British.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/1812.htm
Old 19 Nov 06, 08:54
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is simply cracking [600]
Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600]
I found the following quite good:

"Napoleon and Austerlitz" by Scott Bowden

"La Grande Armee" by Georges Blonde (can often be found at borders)

"The Iron Marshall" by John Gallagher (Bio of Davout)
Old 19 Nov 06, 09:09
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Welcome to the forums mate and thanks for your very first post being on the Napoleonic Era. Hope you'll stick around and share with us your thoughts on the ongoing discussions and that you might start new ones if you feal like it.

Old 19 Nov 06, 10:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600] Cambronnne is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
Welcome to the forums mate and thanks for your very first post being on the Napoleonic Era. Hope you'll stick around and share with us your thoughts on the ongoing discussions and that you might start new ones if you feal like it.
Thank you.
I have been lurking for a while and have finally gotten around to posting something.
Old 20 Nov 06, 09:19
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

Like the saying goes, better late than never.

Old 20 Nov 06, 21:07
General of the Forums
United_States

I will add a few more.

Also good:

The Anatomy of Glory by Henri Lachouque (Napoleon and his Guard)

The Rise of Napoleon, and the second volme

The Reign of Napoleon.

Unfortunately, the book is packed away due to a recent move so I cannot give you the author's name.
Old 21 Nov 06, 09:00
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

Ok, I've been making coments on this thread but failed to add any contribution to the cause. I'm now reading "The rise of General Bonaparte" by Spencer Wilkinson it's a 1930's book. I've just started reading it, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
I already have another book lined up, "Napoleon's Invasion of Russia, 1812" by Eugene Tarlé it's a 1940's book.

Old 21 Nov 06, 09:38
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
Ok, I've been making coments on this thread but failed to add any contribution to the cause. I'm now reading "The rise of General Bonaparte" by Spencer Wilkinson it's a 1930's book. I've just started reading it, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
I already have another book lined up, "Napoleon's Invasion of Russia, 1812" by Eugene Tarlé it's a 1940's book.

How "readable" is the book?
My point is that I have Petre's book on the 1813 campaign, which was written in the early 1900s, and just never got into the flow of the book.
I have often wondered if it was because the style of writing was different at that time, than it is now.
As a result of my experience with that book, I have always been reluctant to try the older ones.
Old 22 Nov 06, 08:51
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy

The Rise of General Bonaparte is a very "readable" book. He tries very hard to keep the text simple and avoids to use too much technical terms. Plus, he got some maps going to help creating a visual image of what might have happened.
So far, I'm enjoying the book and although I know some english, it's not my native language.

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!