StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 06 Oct 11, 08:30
Sergeant Major
Denmark

El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99] El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99]
Is anyone interested in an Empires game. Looking for 2. Play by email. I have some rules that I want to try out. I want to add some uncertainty and a true feeling of campaigning in the 19th century. My rules will attempt to simulate this.
Old 07 Oct 11, 12:16
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Another favourite of mine and a very old game...Avalon Hill's Waterloo

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 07 Oct 11, 18:30
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've never played this game but some guys I know always get together and play it.

Actually...they don't allow me to play, because I'm a girl.

Quote:

Napoleonic Wars - Strategy War Game by GMT Games

The Napoleonic Wars, 1805 - 1815, brings you a fast-paced, tension-filled, card-driven wargame using a point-to-point movement system
that pushes the envelope in a new direction for this pivotal period of history. Having a simple-to-learn strategic system and short rulebook,
The Napoleonic Wars, can be played in an evening as the cards and Diplomatic Track make for tough decision-making in the face of everchanging enemy threats.

Set in 1805 Europe, you must weigh the strategic dilemmas facing the two alliances in mortal conflict.
Napoleon's France enjoys a superb army, central position, superior leadership, and a useful, if not powerful, ally in Spain. However, she faces three foes.

Napoleon must beware of Britain's seapower and wealth, Austria's threatening position, and Russia's reinforcing hordes.
In the wings, Prussia, Turkey, and Sweden teeter on the brink of war, begging inducements to join either side.
Even lowly Denmark's fleet can upset the balance of power.

When fleets or armies collide, battle-related cards may be played and then dice are rolled to resolve the battle and inflict casualties.
Even the most brilliant maneuver faces the chance of floundering.
Your options are only limited by your vision, a meddlesome enemy's cards, and the hand of fate

This is a highly recommended Game for anyone who like this era and has received very high score marks in reviews.

http://www.sircollectalot.co.uk/Boar...prod_1040.html

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

"The Frost is strong in that Snowflake" ~ Reimnitz

Old 07 Oct 11, 19:02
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
French Revolution game

I recently stumbled on this game while browsing the net:

Revolution!

I was so in awe of the simplicity and - being a French Revolution buff -the historical 'feeling' of the game that I decided to order it right away!

I'll keep you all informed when I get it in...can't wait.

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 07 Oct 11, 21:05
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Here's another on they like to play...

Quote:
Battle: The Napoleonic Wars (2008)

The Classic Just Got Better!

Will "the Guard" take the hill at Waterloo this time? Wellington called the battle "a near run thing," and in fact, many of the battles of the period were just that... close affairs that tilted on a key decision or a critical error.

Now, LBG gives you a chance to explore some of those great battles, with an evolution of a proven system. From Battle™ the American Civil War , now comes, Battle: The Napoleonic Wars™. Pick a battle, or make up your own — you have 24 geomorphic hex tiles, printed on both sides for a multitude of possible battlefield combination. Pick an army—you have five major nations to choose from, plus minor allies, each with the full range of troop types that make the period so interesting... each troop type offering different strengths or weaknesses. Use historical scenarios, explore the "what might have been" of great campaigns, or use a "points’ system to build your own optimal force.

The diceless combat system means it all depends on your tactical skill... to know how unit strength compares with terrain advantages and enemy capabilities. You may groan at an error, but you’ll never wail about bad die rolls—the results are entirely up to you and your opponent.

(Game description taken from Lost Battalion Games Website http://www.lostbattalion.com/t-lp_NapoleonicWars.aspx )

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Sponsored Links

Old 07 Oct 11, 21:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99]
Avalon Hill War and Peace

This is a great game, surprised no one has mentioned this Avalon Hill masterpiece yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avalon Hill War and Peace.jpg (55.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08 Oct 11, 04:09
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
But what is a GREAT game?

Why would you recommend it?

Personally I'm not a fan of most Napoleonic wargames because the movements and actions are too complex. I hate games where you have to study the rules everytime you want to make a move.

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 08 Oct 11, 07:11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by american1975 View Post
This is a great game, surprised no one has mentioned this Avalon Hill masterpiece yet.
good one
Old 09 Oct 11, 04:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by american1975 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post
But what is a GREAT game?

Why would you recommend it?

Personally I'm not a fan of most Napoleonic wargames because the movements and actions are too complex. I hate games where you have to study the rules everytime you want to make a move.

Greets,
Stratego
Yes, very good game and yes, it does have very complex rules to the game. It certainly isn't a game you can finish in one evening, that's for sure.

These vids will explain better than I ever can....

Old 09 Oct 11, 15:16
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I liked the old AH Waterloo game. But it seemed that if the PAA was competent they could guarantee a win through preventing the French advance by sacrificially putting small units forward of the main body. A couple of small cannon holding up the entire French army.

I have GMT's Fading Glory on pre-order. It's a collection of four VP Nap-20 games; Salamanca, Smolensk, Borodino, Waterloo, cleaned up with improved production value. Here is the old VP Games version of one of them.

Last edited by Duncan; 09 Oct 11 at 15:34..
Old 10 Oct 11, 04:13
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
SPI's Ney v Wellington from S&T magazine concerning Quatre Bras (a simpler version of Wellington's Victory)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quatre Bras1.jpg (260.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg QB counters1.jpg (373.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg QB counters 2.jpg (327.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg QB Map.jpg (269.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Prinz Essling; 10 Oct 11 at 04:21..
Old 10 Oct 11, 04:20
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
SPI's Napoleon's Art of War from the S&T Magazine coverng Dresden & Eylau
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAOW.jpg (252.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg NAOW Map.jpg (275.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10 Oct 11, 21:05
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm waiting for your game to be published, Jason.

I like tactical games that are realistic, but sometimes they are too realistic/complex for my enjoyment.
Old 11 Oct 11, 01:58
Private First Class
Australia

King Billy is on the path to success [1-99]
I've got:
Wellington's Victory (the boxed version) Massive, need at least a table tennis table to fit all of the maps on it.

Ney V Wellington, same system, small game, played lots of times,

War and Peace, some counters almost worn out,

Played Command and Colors, Napoleonics a couple of times. Not sure that it works that well. Very hard to attack. Won Waterloo as the French only because the British tried to force (their) right flank, using his cavalry to try and take out a couple of my guns.

It is a pity Wellington's Victory isn't a module on VASSAL.
Old 11 Oct 11, 03:19
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
good one
My Father got me interested in war gaming and history through this game, as well as many others...He spent alot of time creating his own reinforcement and counter boards to make it more playable. The stacks could become rather confusing otherwise.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!