StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 16 Sep 09, 21:53
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Some people don't like the President because of his race.
Most would never admit to it publicly.
But I believe it.
Old 16 Sep 09, 22:10
Captain
Canada
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
But I believe it.
And a large number of people like the President almost solely because of his race. Personally I'd say his race has paid off more than its hurt him, in a huge way.
Old 16 Sep 09, 22:14
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Llama View Post
And a large number of people like the President almost solely because of his race. Personally I'd say his race has paid off more than its hurt him, in a huge way.
I would agree.
Welcome, by the way.
I am Slug.
Old 16 Sep 09, 22:23
Captain
Canada
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99] Demon_Llama is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I would agree.
Welcome, by the way.
I am Slug.
I'm Demon Llama, pleased to meet you.
Old 16 Sep 09, 22:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Carter could not have been elected president at any other time in the 20th century than when he was, following the Nixon/Watergate years. As it was, Ford came close to winning.

If someone wants to make the claim that he was elected and therefore successful, I would point out that four years later he was thrown out on his ass by the American people who realized what a tragic mistake they had made.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Last edited by Martok; 16 Sep 09 at 23:02..
Old 16 Sep 09, 23:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
I think it's a good cop/bad cop thing.

We've seen this tactic throughout this and previous debates. The left wing would go all out, slinging mud and playing the race card, etc. on behalf of the White House. Then the White House would come in and pretend to be above it all.

In fact, we saw this during the Presidential election too. The problem with McCain was that he was too noble to fight back. Silly man.
.... and it worked to a "T"! The entire gambit during the campaign was with the press acting like the 12 apostles, singing hosannas of the Chosen One and anything said in opposition to his majesticness was treated with bleats of "RACIST!".

(You know what's REALLY funny? If Hillary has somehow gotten the nomination, the Dems would have used exactly the same tactics.... except the operant "perfect shield phrase" would have been "SEXIST!" In our PC sodden Nation, it was, and still is, a no lose "talking point".)

Despite repeated exposures of somewhat embarrassing friends, acquaintances, "mentors", et al........ NOTHING stuck with or on him. It was merely poo-poo'ed away.... if persisted upon.... out came the "R-Word".

HRM Obama was probably the least "experienced", least "vetted" Presidential "contender" in recent history... and he STILL got in. Utterly amazing! We (I say we because he is now President to ALL of us) have awarded the most powerful post in the Nation to a rookie Senator with NO managerial experience at all!

What does he do with that "power"? He turns up the speed and quantity of Government spending, creates a "personal cabinet" for Czars without the "advice and consent" of the Senate and proposes highly expensive and controversial social programs without a thought for the associated costs to the Nation of same. Hell, he can't even manage to "end the war", the very first "promise" he made on the campaign trail.

I hope this is NOT going to be repeated in the future. Populist unknowns make for poor diplomats, managers and problem solvers.

Just sayin'.

GG

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Last edited by Grognard Gunny; 17 Sep 09 at 08:22..
Old 17 Sep 09, 06:51
Banned
United_States

Lincolnfan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Carter could not have been elected president at any other time in the 20th century than when he was, following the Nixon/Watergate years.
Very interesting argument, explain your reasoning.

Quote:
If someone wants to make the claim that he was elected and therefore successful, I would point out that four years later he was thrown out on his ass by the American people who realized what a tragic mistake they had made.
Getting elected is in fact a success. Success being defined as "favorable or desired outcome"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/success

Any claim that Carter was never successful is either made in clear misunderstanding of the words "never" or "successful".

If you would like to pass judgment on his Presidency, what metrics are you using?
Old 17 Sep 09, 06:53
Banned
United_States

Lincolnfan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
Populist unknowns make for poor diplomats, managers and problem solvers.

Just sayin'.

GG
Except, of course, Lincoln.
Old 17 Sep 09, 07:26
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
According to a Rasmussen Poll, only 12% of Americans agree with Carter's idiotic assertion...
Quote:
12% Say Most Opponents of Obama Health Care Plan Are Racist

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Twelve percent (12%) of voters nationwide believe that most opponents of President Obama’s health care reform plan are racist. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 67% of voters disagree, and 21% are not sure...LINK

Another recent Rasmussen Poll says that Carter is the voters' favorite ex-President...LINK

Carter 32%
Clinton 29%
Bush-41 22%

For the record... Of the four living ex-Presidents, Jimmy Carter is the most qualified to be an ex-President...

Profile In Incompetence from Investor's Business Daily
Old 17 Sep 09, 08:24
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build 

CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnfan View Post
Carter was a graduate of the US Naval Academy, a Plank Owner of the nuclear navy, and was elected by a majority. He seems more qualified than most. I suspect your CV is more robust, though.

He was elected President, seems somewhat successful.
You're kidding, right? Intelligence doesn't seem to be a qualification, or are the libs changing their tune? GWB was a pilot of one of the most dangerous and unforgiving aircraft ever in service, graduated from an Ivy League school, and he was elected TWICE!

Do you REALLY want to get started in yet ANOTHER losing argument?

I didn't think so...
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Sep 09, 08:28
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build 

CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnfan View Post
Actually, you're wrong on all counts.
I'll use one of your own gems...

Quote:
Very interesting argument, explain your reasoning.
Let's see if you will ever apply your own standards to your own arguments....
Old 17 Sep 09, 10:43
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
But I believe it.
Ah, spoken like the true liberal Slug is. Tell me, do you still have your "Great Society" membership card left over from LBJ? You know, the one that let you belong but you got not benefits from? Yes, good old LBJ, the USA president who signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Of course he never would have been able to sign it if the Republicans in the Senate had not pushed for it since the Democrats were overwhelmingly against it.
Old 17 Sep 09, 11:07
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
medevac has a spectacular aura about [400]
I have said before and will say it again.

In my opinion, Carter is the worst president in my life time. I am waiting for someone to take his place, but it has not happened yet.

I will hold my judgement on Obama for now. Obama is still alot better than Carter was.

Never thought I would say anything nice about Obama,
Old 17 Sep 09, 11:11
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100] macgregr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
But I believe it.
Absolutely, and thus Carter is right. They don't admit it to themselves, as that has been a pattern throughout their lives. That being said, me calling say, MM a racist will have no impact amongst his supporters. It won't affect politics at all, but perhaps draw the politics out of people. Transparency is always good. The Obama presidency has done much to identify these people. We'll just have to wait to see the political impact. If one strongly believes in the inequality of man, race is but one identifier. Does this absolve one of the 'racist' moniker? Or merely add to it? To me, the latter would be so. But this country already fought one war over this. I would not dishonor the deaths of 100s of thousands by not picking up that battle flag.
Old 17 Sep 09, 11:12
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Twice in a week I agree with President Obama.

Carter was wrong about Joe Wilson being racist and Kanye West is a jackass.

Maybe there is hope for this country.

Or else there are five more seals to be broken before Armageddon.
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!