StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 09 Sep 09, 19:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Obama Threatens To Make Republicans Fix Health Care

His way or the highway, apparently.

Quote:
President Barack Obama will declare that he will no longer “waste time” with opponents of overhauling the health care system when he addresses Congress and the nation Wednesday evening, warning that if the current overhaul effort fails, he will leave it up to his opponents to fix the system themselves. In excerpts of his address to a joint session of Congress, which the White House released in advance, Obama will propose a new system of “insurance exchanges” in which individual Americans and small businesses could pool their negotiating power to wrest better coverage and lower rates from private insurance companies.
Obama’s address, which is scheduled to begin at 8:06 p.m. ET, will be aired on NBC stations and MSNBC TV, and it will be streamed live on msnbc.com.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32752036...h_care_reform/

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Sep 09, 21:35
General of the Forums
Singapore
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Yes, the fear amongst Republicans is almost palpable!
Old 10 Sep 09, 00:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
Yes, the fear amongst Republicans is almost palpable!
I was under the impression that the Democrats were going to use the "nuclear option" and ram their version of healthcare down everyone's throats. Only problem is. Do they still have the votes to do it after all the warm welcomes they received at all of the town hall meetings during the month of August?
Old 10 Sep 09, 02:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Presumably, that requires sufficient Democrats to cause that to happen.

I view this as another of Obama's constant threats against the nation in order to t his way. He reminds me of a spoiled little brat - "If I don't get my way, I'll take my toys and go home!"

He hasn't stopped threatening America since he was elected.
Old 10 Sep 09, 06:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I wish he'd let me do it. I do it a whole lot faster than any political committee & mine would cost a lot less. It'd start the first sentence, "Illegal aliens are here illegally & thus cannot use the USA medical healthcare system for free."
Old 10 Sep 09, 07:32
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Dear Leader is not one bit interested in any Republican ideas. Last night's lecture proved that in spite of some carefully added lines about "My Republican friends."
Old 10 Sep 09, 09:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Grognard Gunny has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In all fairness, the "pooling" concept isn't that bad an idea. If they would use the same idea to lower the cost of COBRA insurees, it would be even better. Throw in the self employed while we are at it.

The coordination of such a setup would necessitate, probably, either Government coordination (another improbable dream, the Fed is consistant only in discoordination) or requiring the Health Insurance "Players" to form a "pooling" Resource Center, which would necessitate ALL players having to "fund" both the "system" as well as the claims on that system.

An entirely new Company could be formed that specialized in small business health insurance and COBRA applicants, but THAT would make them the (perceived) "high risk" insurer and the prices would be higher than regular insurance companies, more than likely.

In all this it is essential to remember that price supports for a service generally raises prices overall. Price "controls" (Read: caps) generally creates shortages in the availability of that service. (Econ 101)

Rock and a hard place here.

GG

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-
Old 10 Sep 09, 09:20
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV Ron View Post
Dear Leader is not one bit interested in any Republican ideas. Last night's lecture proved that in spite of some carefully added lines about "My Republican friends."
The Republican idea, at least up to last night, was to scrap Medicare.
Old 10 Sep 09, 11:18
General of the Forums
Singapore
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
The Republican idea, at least up to last night, was to scrap Medicare.
This is inaccurate. Let me quote a Republican who only made these suggestions yesterday.

Quote:
I’m pleased that the White House is finally responding to Republican health care ideas instead of pretending they don’t exist.[1] But in doing so President Obama should follow his own sound advice and avoid making “wild misrepresentations”.[2] Medicare vouchers would give everyone on Medicare the chance to decide for themselves which health plan to use, rather than leave that decision to government bureaucrats. Such proposals are the kind of health care reform that Republicans stand for: market-oriented, patient-centered, and result-driven.
Here's another quote from the same republican.

Quote:
Instead of poll-driven ’solutions,’ let’s talk about real health-care reform: market-oriented, patient-centered, and result-driven. As the Cato Institute’s Michael Cannon and others have argued, such policies include giving all individuals the same tax benefits received by those who get coverage through their employers; providing Medicare recipients with vouchers that allow them to purchase their own coverage; reforming tort laws to potentially save billions each year in wasteful spending; and changing costly state regulations to allow people to buy insurance across state lines. Rather than another top-down government plan, let’s give Americans control over their own health care.
So the GOP does seem to have plenty of ideas. It's just that the media refuse to cover them, the Democrats refuse to hear them, and Obama just don't know what the heck is happening outside of his office.
Old 10 Sep 09, 12:57
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss49 View Post
I wish he'd let me do it. I do it a whole lot faster than any political committee & mine would cost a lot less. It'd start the first sentence, "Illegal aliens are here illegally & thus cannot use the USA medical healthcare system for free."
Of course. That is what any sane and rationale individual would do, which tells us a lot about our government in one single sentence.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!