StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 24 Mar 14, 22:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyBunnyFeet View Post
That is not a referable source that the opinion of someone that never served with Custer. First I never said the 7th was eliete but it was regarded as the best Calvary force in what was a weak solderiy at the time.
Historically speaking, researching a subject, including people, historians can make a historical judgment on historical figures. You are grossly mistaken stating 'that is not a referable source.' You don't have to have served with someone to make a historical judgment of someone. Where did you ever come up with that one? That is just patently ridiculous and you are way off base, historically speaking.

And, no the 7th Cavalry was not regarded as the 'best cavalry force' in the US Army on the frontier, and the army that fought the Indians was considered by General Sir Garnet Wolsely as the best army of its time.

You are posting nonsense and the only conclusion that can be drawn from your nonsense is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 25 Mar 14, 00:25
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Apperantly the Google Machine is to hard for you yet. It took me about 5 seconds and I found some online audio with visual aides for your subjective mind to invent defensive self preservation of self around LOL.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...revilianflags/
You do realize that contradicts everything you've just claimed about Trevilian? The very first slide says the following.

"Custer's bold attack into the Confederate rear invited a strong counter-attack that left his isolated command surrounded. Only through hard fighting and the timely arrival of a relief column of Union troops would Custer and his Wolverines live to fight another day."

From the linked article by Eric Wittenberg, the exact same historian I quoted in response to your ficition.

Quote:

Only a timely attack by three brigades of Federal cavalry saved Custer's Wolverines from total destruction. The relief column finally slashed its way through to the Michigan men, freeing them from their trap. Hard fighting by the Wolverines and Custer's legendary good luck had barely saved his brigade from utter destruction at the hands of the Confederate horse soldiers. As it was, the Michigan Brigade suffered 11 killed, 51 wounded, and 299 captured, for total losses of 361, including half of the 5th Michigan. However, unlike another June day twelve years later, Custer received reinforcements that rescued his beleaguered command from its trap. And, unlike that hot dusty day in June 1876, George Custer had survived his "first last stand."
There's nothing that supports anything you've claimed in that link about Custer's role in the battle, him somehow saving Shieridan or the mythical presence of Jubal Early and Robert E. Lee that you alluded to. Are you not actually reading your sources?
Old 25 Mar 14, 00:33
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200]
This was the original post by Fluffy.

Quote:
At the Battle of Travilion station He saved the entire Western flank of the army under Sheridan that was caught off guard and was being rolled up by Jubal Early. While the rest of the Army was in complete disorderly retreat, Custer took the initiative to ride around the confederate flank and attack the undefended wagon train, of 1500 horses, and the vast supply ammunition and food, and medical supply, and other supplies that the Confederates could not afford to lose. Both Lee and Early had to completely stop in their tracks, and turn their Calvary and reserves around pursue, Which allowed the Union army to reform and advance depriving Lee of the vital rail Road Junction. He was almost cut off and and killed but saved at the last minute, but he saved thousand of Union Lives from being over run, and the ones that would have to die to take back the ground they lost.
Does this bear any resemblance to the information in his sources?

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ittenberg.html
Old 25 Mar 14, 06:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Ya nice trolling. Reno was such a coward that day that not even the court of inqury that was staged for his benefit would say he was competent.

A good officer if he was actually trying to preserve his command, would not isolate his men on a hill, exposed on all points within the firing range of overlooking bluffs, cut off from water, Shelter and escape. Even if his thinking was to save his command, which it wasn't he was waiting for Custer to comeback and save him, from an empty hayfield at that point, he should have moved his men out of the area they had plenty of time.

He could have just retreated back towards Terry, but he didn't he waited right their in his panic room, and waited for the enemy to comeback and surround him. He could have gown back down to the timber where they had a natural defense, access to water, and shade from the sun, but he didn't.

The only reason he did not get his 7 companies murdered like he did Custers, was because after the Custer Fight, most of the Warriors started to leave. They were busy with Funerals, and capturing horses and spoils and getting their families and assets out. They only had a few hardcores and a lot of adolescence still trying to make a name for themselves, but it was a half hearted attempt. The men were far more likely to die of Dehydration, if Gibbons and Terry had not arrived.
Quite interesting. You accuse me of trolling because I post that having spent more time than the average 30-45 minutes I might have spent before this thread on studying what rates in my mind as a small skirmish and a primer on what not to do with a cavalry regiment, my opinions of certain officers have been reversed.

Not that I haven't been accused of trolling before, or that I'm so fragile that I'll come apart by a pointless accusation of same, but SERIOUSLY?! Here I thought that you were trying to create some sort of conversation about Custer et al I had no idea that your ego wanted relevance and for someone to agree with you. Did you get a lot of participation ribbons as a child? Maybe told how you're loved, and your special, and how people will like you and you will be a success and change the world or something? Hint.....All of that is bull. Oh, and your postings about LBH have reversed my opinions about the officers of the 7th Cavalry.....well, except for Custer. I've always thought he was a Cocky, Self-Aggrandizing Son-of-a-, with a lofty view of his own ability and more balls than good sense.

As for the rest of it, the problem with material about Custer is, from the renewed research I've done, the "Lobby of Libby". That and that the Army really hates to throw a dead commander under the bus, even if the dead guy laid down in front of it and begged to be run over. Unless you provide me with some Primary documents that demonstrate the Court of Inquiry was for the benefit of Reno, I'll simply have a hard time believing the remark.

Oh yeah, and if you actually looked at the battle plan Custer came up with, and maybe understood what certain words in the military English language mean, you'd catch that Custer was supposed to link up with Reno once Reno brought the Indians to battle. Custer was supposed to be the flanking maneuver. So your statement of Reno digging in and staying put.....uh, that's what you do when you attack someone and wind up with 5-1 odds. Not to mention that waiting for Custer was EXACTLY what Custer had ordered Reno to do under the circumstances.
Old 25 Mar 14, 06:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
This was the original post by Fluffy.

Does this bear any resemblance to the information in his sources?

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...ittenberg.html
Don't let things like facts, and a history of reckless actions ruin the myth of Custer......

Too bad there wasn't a column of Federal troops waiting to relieve the 7th Cav.

Old 25 Mar 14, 10:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Seems like Fluffy wouldn't recognize factual material if it bit him in the ass.

Sincerely,
M
Old 25 Mar 14, 11:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

That is the most beautiful rebuttal I have ever seen...

I can't rep you at this time, or I would...
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 25 Mar 14, 11:49
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderRuffian View Post
What is this? The NSA?
Fluffy, is that you?
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 25 Mar 14, 11:55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99] BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99] BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99] BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99] BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99] BorderRuffian is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Fluffy, is that you?
Sorry, don't know fluffy.
Old 25 Mar 14, 12:01
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderRuffian View Post
What is this? The NSA?
You do know if you click on a user's name, you can bring up a list of their recent posts? Handy little function.
Old 25 Mar 14, 13:21
First Sergeant
United_States

FluffyBunnyFeet is on the path to success [1-99] FluffyBunnyFeet is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Umm that's 'Cite'. As in to 'Cite' a article...
Sorry My dyslexia does not allow me to metacognitively recall subjective and quite frankly superficial redundancies, grammatical formalities of the English languages written expressions. My mind is to busy looking for depth in the actual intent of obviously intended meaning of the writer than, getting distracted about what side of the plate the fork is suppose to be on

Tell me if a ball rolls under the couch, does it still exist? Did I use the correct version of roll, or is it role? Why cause I can't recall, I think in multiple perceptual pictures subject to perceptual reorganizing processes for efficiency. Meaning the ability to get to point C without having to go through every step of point B, like concrete operational sensing types that make up 75% or so of the population, and think around the problem, rather than fallowing concrete steps to arrive at a similar cognitive destination. Hense why I usually only need the first two letters of every word in a sentence to be able to understand without much pause for deciphering the indented meaning. In fact the fewer symbols to have to focus on, the quicker the understanding, as my brain has learned to find more efficient solutions, to work around getting boged down with meta cognitively recalling specific symbols, and the order they go int. Hence if I did not have spell check. Every other word would be misspelled despite the fact that I have read more than most. And my spoken vocabulary is rather advanced to the average educate, though my written transposition is extremely difficult.

Of course new studies of historical psychology have noticed trends that many of the formal documents of some of histories greatest innovators show strong symptoms of Dyslexia. Like Davenci, Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, etc, etc. some theorists question if Socrates himself was not dyslexic, hence why he had Plato to write down his spoken incites.
Old 25 Mar 14, 13:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

That is the most beautiful rebuttal I have ever seen...

I can't rep you at this time, or I would...
Completely agree. Well done.

Sincerely,
M
Old 25 Mar 14, 13:37
First Sergeant
United_States

FluffyBunnyFeet is on the path to success [1-99] FluffyBunnyFeet is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Generally, people ask for citations from people who don't appear to be credible. You're doing an excellent job of discrediting yourself, by the way.

Sincerely,
M

Or people ask for citations, because they don't want them to be credible, and they need to by time LOL.
Old 25 Mar 14, 14:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
People here like posts to be referenced so they can fact check.

I have lysdexia as well. I just have overcame it.

Custer was a tosser...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...british/tosser

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!