StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 22 Mar 14, 12:27
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Agree. Benteen and Reno usually get a bum rap, probably because they survived. Keogh on the other hand was a confirmed drunk, who had his orderly in charge of his bills.

Sincerely,
M
And I think it Ironic that this thread has actually reversed my opinion of Reno. Used to think of him as a coward, but now I see him as a perfectly reasonable officer who realized the plan sucked, and preserved his command despite a poor starting position and bad odds.
Old 22 Mar 14, 16:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
And I think it Ironic that this thread has actually reversed my opinion of Reno. Used to think of him as a coward, but now I see him as a perfectly reasonable officer who realized the plan sucked, and preserved his command despite a poor starting position and bad odds.
Custer dividing his command in the face of a much stronger enemy force was idiotic. Both Benteen and Reno were competent officers, much more competent than their regimental commander, and probably believed that they were being abandoned as their fellow officer had been at the Washita.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 23 Mar 14, 05:32
Captain
United_States

Bdell is on the path to success [1-99] Bdell is on the path to success [1-99] Bdell is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
No matter what you post in this vein, it does not change the fact that both you and Fluffy are incorrect in your assertions.

And if you cannot accept that, then post some source material that supports your conjectures.

You haven't done that yet, and I submit that you are not able to do that.

Sincerely,
M
Apparently English isn't your first language, is it. What part of "discus" are you unfamiliar with? If you need clarification or a definition I will be more than happy to oblige.
I submit that you don't want to "discus" at all , but to pontificate. I also don't remember you asking for any source from me. If you want sources, ask politely and I will get them for you. Demanding sources is vulgar.
Old 23 Mar 14, 05:37
Captain
United_States

Bdell is on the path to success [1-99] Bdell is on the path to success [1-99] Bdell is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Custer dividing his command in the face of a much stronger enemy force was idiotic. Both Benteen and Reno were competent officers, much more competent than their regimental commander, and probably believed that they were being abandoned as their fellow officer had been at the Washita.

Sincerely,
M
Benteen's performance was more than competant, but Reno's retreat was a rout. He completely lost control of his unit and it was every man for himself. He only regained his composure after Benteen's appearance.
Old 23 Mar 14, 05:39
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Reno was not a coward, but he did lose control.
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Mar 14, 08:17
General of the Forums
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075883/

I watched a TV movie years ago where Custer somehow survived the battle and was court martialled.
Old 23 Mar 14, 10:04
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdell View Post
Apparently English isn't your first language, is it. What part of "discus" are you unfamiliar with? If you need clarification or a definition I will be more than happy to oblige.
I submit that you don't want to "discus" at all , but to pontificate. I also don't remember you asking for any source from me. If you want sources, ask politely and I will get them for you. Demanding sources is vulgar.
Good Lord, give us all a break.

Sincerely,
M
Old 23 Mar 14, 10:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Reno was not a coward, but he did lose control.
Not unexpected given the circumstances. Counterattacked by a superior force, and breaking contact and withdrawing under fire is generally one of the most difficult maneuvers to pull off.
Old 23 Mar 14, 10:24
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
No, actually it's not. And if you think so, this forum might not be for you. When you refuse to post sources, you're going to get called out on it, just like Fluffy has been throughout the forum.
Old 23 Mar 14, 10:26
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Not unexpected given the circumstances. Counterattacked by a superior force, and breaking contact and withdrawing under fire is generally one of the most difficult maneuvers to pull off.
That is absolutely correct. And if the troops are not a well-trained, cohesive unit, which the 7th Cavalry was not, it can turn into a run for it. That they were rallied is a testament to Reno, et al.

Sincerely,
M
Old 23 Mar 14, 14:10
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Good Lord, give us all a break.

Sincerely,
M
I will if you will. I am perfectly willing to DISCUS this or any other issue with you, but I refuse to be "Talked at".
Old 23 Mar 14, 14:15
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
No, actually it's not. And if you think so, this forum might not be for you. When you refuse to post sources, you're going to get called out on it, just like Fluffy has been throughout the forum.
First off, I NEVER refused to post sources, and you cannot show any post where I did. I refuse to be intimidated by bad manners. So perhaps you and others need to practice your communication skills and learn polite behavior. As I said, I welcome discussion, I reject demands.
Old 23 Mar 14, 14:19
Captain
United_States

Quote:
That is absolutely correct. And if the troops are not a well-trained, cohesive unit, which the 7th Cavalry was not, it can turn into a run for it. That they were rallied is a testament to Reno, et al.

Sincerely,
M
They did not rally themselves nor did Reno rally them. They rallied on the troops of Benteen. It is a common occurance for disorganized troops to adhere to those troops who have not lost organization. I have witnessed this being done in South Vietnam.
Old 23 Mar 14, 16:22
General of the Forums
United_States
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Quote:
I will if you will. I am perfectly willing to DISCUS this or any other issue with you, but I refuse to be "Talked at".
Still wondering what a 10 pound frisbee has to do with a debate.....or did you mean discuss?
Old 23 Mar 14, 16:33
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200] Viperlord is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
First off, I NEVER refused to post sources, and you cannot show any post where I did. I refuse to be intimidated by bad manners. So perhaps you and others need to practice your communication skills and learn polite behavior. As I said, I welcome discussion, I reject demands.
Uh-huh. A lecture on polite behavior from the poster responsible for these gems.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=307

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=311

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=312

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=315

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=327

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=345

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=346

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=225

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!