HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 13 Jun 14, 16:56
Brigadier General
United_States

Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Fort Jackson and St. Phillip

I am visiting New Orleans next week with some friends and family and was wanting to go visit Fort Jackson. Has anyone been lately? It is my understanding that St. Phillip is in private hands. If so, is it going to be preserved? I hope so! Also, are there any good restaurants in the area that serve good fresh seafood?
"...whenever Northern and Southern prejudices have come into conflict, the latter have been sacrificed and the former soothed; that the owners of the debt are in the Southern, and the holders of it in the Northern division."
--Thomas Jefferson
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Jun 14, 17:21
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99]
Savez

I always wanted to go but it is a hardship to get pass New Orleans with its good drink and food.

An episode of TRUE DETECTIVES I saw recently was filmed in and around one of the forts. The serial killer lived nearby and had a voodoo shrine set inside the fort. The environment was creepy and heavy vegetation like a swamp.

Watch for the snakes with only the Moccasin being poisonous. Rest likely water snakes with a stinging bite but no poison. The bad one is stumpy and black with a viper head but can be four or five foot. It is very hot and humid here and they sleep heavily during the day but explode in violence if awaken by your foot. Please do not kill them as they live there no you.

Anyway while you are there could you give us a report on the Federal mortar fire effect upon the said Fort as delivered by the Federal Mortar fleet in that fateful battle???
Old 13 Jun 14, 19:55
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
There is only road access to Fort Jackson. The Fort is a bit past Buras on Highway 23. If you find yourself in Venice, you have gone too far! That is as far South as you can drive in Louisiana!

Back in the 90's I drove a "part" to my brother who was sitting on an oil rig in Buras. It is hard to believe the houses I saw then are all gone now. There was once many more people here. I recall three high schools (Buras, Bootheville and Venice). Now there is only a South Plaquemines High, in Buras. That is the longest trip I have ever made in Louisiana!

Google Plaquemines Parish Map and enlarge the Google Map until you can find the fort.

I can't tell you any restaurants in the Big Easy, but there is an eating place in Buras off of highway 11. Check it out on the Google map. For some reason I remember a "Popeyes" in Buras from my road trip. Bear in mind there is a levee by the River and another on the other side to keep the Gulf out. Both have been swamped in hurricanes.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 14 Jun 14, 01:01
Brigadier General
United_States

Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Thanks you two. I am all to familiar with the "Cottonmouth". I hear mosquitos are the biggest problem down that way. We have our share here and the humidity as well. Someone from the chamber of commerce site of Plaquemines Parish returned my email and said that you can't go inside the fort because it was damaged by Hurricane Isaac and that St. Phillip is on private land and not restoration has been done or planned. I understand that it is probably hard to keep these forts up but I believe something needs to be done. I'll have to check on the mortar fire. I still haven't decided if I want to go that far below New Orleans yet or not.
"...whenever Northern and Southern prejudices have come into conflict, the latter have been sacrificed and the former soothed; that the owners of the debt are in the Southern, and the holders of it in the Northern division."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old 14 Jun 14, 07:11
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savez View Post
Thanks you two. I am all to familiar with the "Cottonmouth". I hear mosquitos are the biggest problem down that way. We have our share here and the humidity as well. Someone from the chamber of commerce site of Plaquemines Parish returned my email and said that you can't go inside the fort because it was damaged by Hurricane Isaac and that St. Phillip is on private land and not restoration has been done or planned. I understand that it is probably hard to keep these forts up but I believe something needs to be done. I'll have to check on the mortar fire. I still haven't decided if I want to go that far below New Orleans yet or not.
Have a safe trip. Look forward to your pics when you return!

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 14 Jun 14, 07:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
No lack of delicious food in the Big Easy Savez! One of my favorites was an alligator 'Po Boy. For your sweet tooth, get some beignets at the Café Du Mond. The New Orleans mint is worth a visit as well!

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 14 Jun 14, 16:19
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon ACG Ten Year Service Award 

Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99]
Savez

I would be shocked if you disclose you have not seen the CAIRO gunboat on full display at Vicksburg. She lies there like a beautiful sexy woman for you to look over but not touch. I get goose bumps just to be near her. Having been aware of your fondness for Civil War Naval matters, this is a must to see and appreciate. Oh how I love her!
Old 14 Jun 14, 22:37
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Archer View Post
Savez

I would be shocked if you disclose you have not seen the CAIRO gunboat on full display at Vicksburg. She lies there like a beautiful sexy woman for you to look over but not touch. I get goose bumps just to be near her. Having been aware of your fondness for Civil War Naval matters, this is a must to see and appreciate. Oh how I love her!
I have seen her. She's an amazing piece of machinery. I just came back from the Columbus Naval Museum. Its a great museum for Civil War navy buffs.
--Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 Jun 14, 11:44
Brigadier General
United_States

I was unable to visit the Forts. Maybe next time. I did, however, take a detour on the way home and visited Vicksburg and the Cairo. I'll try and post some pictures later. Been fairly busy lately.
--Thomas Jefferson

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!