StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 17 Aug 09, 23:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100] GeneralTsoGood has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Guns near the President

now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

Quote:
PHOENIX About a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, milled among protesters outside the convention center where President Barack Obama was giving a speech Monday the latest incident in which protesters have openly displayed firearms near the president.

Gun-rights advocates say they're exercising their constitutional right to bear arms and protest, while those who argue for more gun control say it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.

Phoenix police Detective J. Oliver, who monitored the man at the downtown protest, said police also wanted to make sure no one decided to harm him.

"Just by his presence and people seeing the rifle and people knowing the president was in town, it sparked a lot of emotions," Oliver said. "We were keeping peace on both ends."
Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Aug 09, 00:41
General of the Forums
Singapore
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
So, was he standing on the pro or anti-Obama side? If it is found that he's pro-Obama, I'm pretty sure the media will take a completely different tune tomorrow.
Old 18 Aug 09, 00:47
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400]
comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400] comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400] comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400] comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400] comm. waffle has a spectacular aura about [400]
Gun control is good, to a certain degree... this is one of them. I love firearms. I don't hunt, I just like to shoot. I don't like total gun control laws, but this doens't think everyone should have a machine gun mounted on the top of thier roofs. Certain places definitly need to have the 'no gun' sign... like where the presient is. If they argue that its against their rights as an American... I'm sure not mentally with it.
Old 18 Aug 09, 00:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Trailboss49 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.
Old 18 Aug 09, 01:15
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss49 View Post
I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth.
You're eating in a warzone.
Old 18 Aug 09, 02:09
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss49 View Post
If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.
LMAO you cant be serious. It amazing how some people view weapons.
Old 18 Aug 09, 04:41
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood View Post
now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

Quote:
you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking
?
STOP that! Logic has no place in such arguments.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 18 Aug 09, 05:52
Banned
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
Armed men are "milling about" outside where Obama is speaking????

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, they obviously are fantasizing shooting him.
Old 18 Aug 09, 05:54
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phebe View Post

Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.
Old 18 Aug 09, 06:03
General
United_States

Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?
The man wasn't close enough to the President to pose a threat. Had he brought it onto the venue grounds, he would have been in trouble since the location had been federalized temporarily. Furthermore, the man had the weapon in a non-threatening position. The rifle was slung over his shoulder onto his back, with the barrel pointed down. This is very different from holding his weapon at the high or low ready, where it can be quickly brought into a firing position.

To be honest, the guy appeared to be less of a threat than protesters who scream, shout, obstruct entrance into a building, or create a scene in a high-traffic area where an accident can occur.
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Aug 09, 06:25
General
United_States

Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300] Deltapooh is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:

Maybe its because I've been around guns much of my life, but I don't think having a gun near the president means they want to shoot him. They didn't try to conceal the firearm and get close enough to take a shot. The guy would be at a disadvantage if someone pulled a pistol on him because of the amount of time it would take to bring his rifle to a firing position. I think they were just making a statement about the right to bear arms. CNN quoted the guy talking about the need for people and authorities to be aware of their rights when it comes to carrying a weapon in public.

I'm not going to suggest these people were "pro-Obama", but at the least the guy with the rifle didn't strike me as some whack job looking to turn a national debate into a national tragedy.
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942
Old 18 Aug 09, 06:41
Banned
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.
Old 18 Aug 09, 07:15
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:

Seems like KKK mentality to me. I wont comment on Obama's policies or beliefs, but I consider him a brave man.
Old 18 Aug 09, 08:02
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

Dear Leader's presence in the state of Arizona doesn't alter Arizona's open-carry laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.
The only source for an abnormal number of death threats is a book by Ronald Kessler, a journalist for NewsMax magazine.
Old 18 Aug 09, 08:14
General
United_States

Quote:
You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.
True, particularly if they are clueless to the real intent of the GOP, which is to limit the 2nd Amendment.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!